Old 24-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Drew Cutter

Default 55 gal. drum bead filter

I did not see it. But , I love it .

Old 24-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Drew Cutter

Drew

Did you see the vertical version of larrys filter

http://tinyurl.com/24egq

chagoi

Where would I locate air back wash or do i need it ?

Old 24-03-2004, 11:54 PM
chagoi

Drew Cutter wrote:
I wish the upright diagram of DIY bead filter would of label the bottom
left outlet (the one the sealed) . Its functions ?

that is the outlet from the filter, the creator of the filter seem to
have assembled it wrong. Floow the hand written diagram. The simplest
solution seems to be to replace the top tee fitting with a cross fitting.

What do you fill the insides with ? How much Kaldnes , etc . Is Kaldnes
the right material ?

Fill the barrel 1/2 to 1/3 full of the bio-media.

What is the material wrap around the top and bottom tube (with security
straps) ?

nylon window screening

Thanks. Is their a list of sizes and type of fitting needed
(parts list )

No! That posting was from Aug. 2001

? I'm going to take trip out to lowes to see if they have
the parts.

appears to be 2"

Chagoi

Old 25-03-2004, 02:22 AM
chagoi

Drew Cutter wrote:

I wish the upright diagram of DIY bead filter would of label the bottom
left outlet (the one the sealed) . Its functions ?

WOOPS!! forgot this

http://www.koi.com.my/ubbimages/ppdia.jpg

The above diagram shows the working principle of bead filter.

1. For normal filter operation, turn valve F to on position. Close all
other valves. For bead filter, water enters through the bottom and come
out from top of drum.

Please note this
( Top Photo shows the version water enter from the top and discharge at
the bottom. )

2. To backwash turn valve B to on position, off all other valves.
Duration 2 to 3 mins

3. To rinse turn valve F near inlet and valve R to on, turn all other
valves off. (Duration 30 seconds)

It seems that either version will work, just that the photo version
requires more complicated valve combinations.

Chagoi

Old 25-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Drew Cutter

If I add a skimmer to my pond would I use the bead filter for waste
(leafs) ? Do I add an outlet to have the water flow to my waterfall ?

Do I have to add a pump to get water to flow to waterfall (pump --
bead filter -- waterfall).