Old 25-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Snooze

Default 55 gal. drum bead filter

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
Looking for a howto turn my two 55 gal. drum into bead filters ?

Drew

In following some of the threads you've started lately, I get the feeling
that you're new to managing a pond. I suggest that perhaps before building
the ultimate filter system, you let it run on autopilot for a season, it
will give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

For the first season just take a drum, toss floor buffing pads, or nylon
screening material, add lots of water lilies and water hyacinths. That will
give you an idea of what needs to be added, plus it will give you some time
to learn from other ponders here.

Watch as the weather warms up, people will start complaining about the short
comings of their filtering system, make notes of it, and collect ideas for
your own pond. That's how I built my filter system. Granted it's not as
elaborate as the one you intend to make, but it does a good job for my pond.

Sameer

Old 25-03-2004, 06:02 PM
chagoi

Drew Cutter wrote:

Drew

Did you see the vertical version of larrys filter

http://tinyurl.com/24egq

chagoi

Where would I locate air back wash or do i need it ?

http://www.keirinponds.com/aquadyne.html
best article I've found to explain the increase in efficiency and
exactly how it helps increase the efficiency.

DEFINITIONS: dictionary
compressor
A machine for compressing gases; especially, an air compressor.

blower
(Mech.) A device for producing a current of air; as: (a) A machine for
producing an artificial blast or current of air by volume.

mine(as a Millright):

compressor: High Pressure 60#, Low Volume 15 CFM Cubic feet Per Minute

blower: High Volume 20 CFM, Low Pressure 60#.

To add a DIY air backwash to your DIY bead filter you would need a DIY
air blower like a spa/hottub air blower to make it work.

you need a large volume of air to violently mix up the beads to break
free the waste material and get it into suspension in the water before
washing it out of the filter.

Chagoi

Old 25-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Drew Cutter

In following some of the threads you've started lately, I get the feeling
that you're new to managing a pond. I suggest that perhaps before building
the ultimate filter system, you let it run on autopilot for a season, it
will give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

For the first season just take a drum, toss floor buffing pads, or nylon
screening material, add lots of water lilies and water hyacinths. That will
give you an idea of what needs to be added, plus it will give you some time
to learn from other ponders here.

Watch as the weather warms up, people will start complaining about the short
comings of their filtering system, make notes of it, and collect ideas for
your own pond. That's how I built my filter system. Granted it's not as
elaborate as the one you intend to make, but it does a good job for my pond.

Sameer

My problem is that the local pond society and where I live. The pond
society is full of people who buy and not build filters . Not very
willing to build their own filters , ponds ,etc . Even the local expert
is not willing to help new people. Has a degree in horticulture and has
his own business. I have to find help outside of my area. 50 miles.
I do have a friend that has his own nursery (first person willing to
help ). He been a life saver. I live in a small valley , where run off
is common. In the spring I get 6 inches of sitting water until the
french ditch is able to send the water to the front yard. I need a
filtration system get rid of excess waste , new rain water quickly and
anything else . I've had the pond dug for three years. Trouble finding
someone willing to help me finish the pond.

Old 26-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Nedra

Drew,

Please go back and read Sameer's response... that was as good
as your likely to get. In essence he said to Wait for a season ..
then start out slowly.

Nedra

Old 26-03-2004, 06:19 AM
Drew Cutter

I'm going to have to wait till June . Dry season. I don't have time to
wait for a season , the pond is done except for the water fall . I do
plan to take it slow on plants. The plumbing and waterfall must be
finnish this year. My garage has the material for the waterfall. The
garage needs to be clean out or I'm in big trouble. I have professor
friends who are more help and more connected then the local pond
society . When I'm ready I've got a friend who is a expert on local
native plants. I found the local pond society to be of little help. Too
many people settle into their retirement years. The one's who could
help, got tired of doing all the work. He Refuses to do anymore work to
help out with someone ponds. Their is large pond society south of me.
Plus I'm tired of empty the pond every time we get a 1" to 2" of rain
in short amount time. If all I get done this year is the plumbing and
water fall I will be happy.

Old 26-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Snooze

"Drew Cutter" wrote in message
My problem is that the local pond society and where I live. The pond
society is full of people who buy and not build filters . Not very
willing to build their own filters , ponds ,etc . Even the local expert
is not willing to help new people. Has a degree in horticulture and has
his own business. I have to find help outside of my area. 50 miles.
I do have a friend that has his own nursery (first person willing to
help ). He been a life saver. I live in a small valley , where run off
is common. In the spring I get 6 inches of sitting water until the
french ditch is able to send the water to the front yard. I need a
filtration system get rid of excess waste , new rain water quickly and
anything else . I've had the pond dug for three years. Trouble finding
someone willing to help me finish the pond.

Drew I feel for you, but the reality is most people are too busy with their
own personal lives to volunteer to assist others with weekend projects. Pond
societies just like any other social organization, they're willing to help
people they've become friends with. Their desire and willingness to spend
the weekend latest guy who wants a hand with his pond is probably minimal
because they've done so many times already.

In general run off is bad for ponds, run off picks up fertilizers and
pesticides, try raising the edge of the pond above ground level so that rain
run off does not go into the pond. Consider using drain pipes to move water
from the low lying areas into other areas, where water drains better. The
goal is to prevent it from getting onto the pond in the first place.

All of this takes a lot of time and work, a pond isn't something you can run
on auto pilot by building the ultimate pond filter. And even if you could,
it just wouldn't be as fun or rewarding.

The kind of filter you design has to be built on the situation you are
facing. if you have a lot of leaves, dust and stuff being blown into your
pond then a 2 drum filter with a settling chamber might be the ticket. If
you've got a lot of green water, a veg filter will help clear things up. And
if you've got a high fish load, a bio filter is needed.

Most of us don't just have a signal filter, we employ multiple filters. One
of my favorite ones, was built by someone who has more skill then I ever
will.
http://community.webshots.com/album/43346868XpvJzF

Sameer

Old 26-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Drew Cutter

All of this takes a lot of time and work, a pond isn't something you can run
on auto pilot by building the ultimate pond filter. And even if you could,
it just wouldn't be as fun or rewarding.

The kind of filter you design has to be built on the situation you are
facing. if you have a lot of leaves, dust and stuff being blown into your
pond then a 2 drum filter with a settling chamber might be the ticket. If
you've got a lot of green water, a veg filter will help clear things up. And
if you've got a high fish load, a bio filter is needed.

Most of us don't just have a signal filter, we employ multiple filters. One
of my favorite ones, was built by someone who has more skill then I ever
will.

Sameer :
This is why I love this newsgroups. I was planning on using my
second 55 gal. drum for skimmer/leaves waste material. I know which
skimmer I going to use. But I don't know about the best way for getting
rid of leaves. I just discover the other morning that I have two
raccoons . I live in town. Yipee . Any suggestion on the second 55gal
drum for leaves ?

Old 27-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Offbreed

Drew Cutter wrote:

In the spring I get 6 inches of sitting water

Is the rim of your pond above that 6" mark?

Old 27-03-2004, 01:35 AM
Drew Cutter

If the french ditch is working correctly the water does not go over the
top of the edge . Last summer we had 3 different times of having 1" or
2" within 3 hours. If I keep the pond water level even with the ground
I'm ok.