Old 22-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Joy

Default sick koi

Help! I have a big bueatiful koi who is acting very sick! I've never
had a large koi to die and I don't know how to diagnose the problem.
She is sitting on the bottom of the pond and it looks like she is
gasping for air? I had 2 small koi die in the last two weeks, they
were in the skimmer and I thought they just got caught in there.
There is no other sickness I can see. I've been checking the salt
every week and adding when needed I thought that would keep them
healthy. If anyone has heplful info I would be grateful!
Joy
Old 22-04-2004, 06:06 PM

how much salt do you have in the pond????
what are your water quality parameters, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH?
how much aeration do you have in there?
what is the water temp? how big is the pond, how many fish what kinds.
have you been feeding them

(Joy) wrote:

Help! I have a big bueatiful koi who is acting very sick! I've never
had a large koi to die and I don't know how to diagnose the problem.
She is sitting on the bottom of the pond and it looks like she is
gasping for air? I had 2 small koi die in the last two weeks, they
were in the skimmer and I thought they just got caught in there.
There is no other sickness I can see. I've been checking the salt
every week and adding when needed I thought that would keep them
healthy. If anyone has heplful info I would be grateful!
Joy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-04-2004, 07:03 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 21 Apr 2004 15:56:08 -0700, (Joy) wrote:

Help! I have a big bueatiful koi who is acting very sick!

Sick Fish/Pond Form

Fill out what you can, leave others blank, but
don't delete the questions.

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

PH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?:

~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Joy" wrote in message
om...
Help! I have a big bueatiful koi who is acting very sick! I've never
had a large koi to die and I don't know how to diagnose the problem.
She is sitting on the bottom of the pond and it looks like she is
gasping for air? I had 2 small koi die in the last two weeks, they
were in the skimmer and I thought they just got caught in there.
There is no other sickness I can see. I've been checking the salt
every week and adding when needed I thought that would keep them
healthy. If anyone has heplful info I would be grateful!

soap box
Ugh. This is the perfect post for why I am against salt as a normal every
day additive to the pond. The legend of salt propegates, and people start
adding it to make their fish healthy.
/soap box

What are your water parameters? Size of pond? # of fish?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 02:04 AM

having low levels of salt in the pond is the single best thing people can do (after
water changes) to keep their fish healthy. of course, those on coasts must test
their water to determine how much they got in there already cause it could be high
enough that addition of salt is not necessary. Salt, like oxygen and water, can do
great good in small quantities and harm in large quantities.
Actually, salt does not replace clean water. so it cannot be used to "make" fish
healthy altho it is used as treatment at higher concentrations. but at low levels
salt increases the turnover of the slime coat, and that increases the production of
antibodies and anti-microbial proteins secreted with the slime coat. Ingrid

Ugh. This is the perfect post for why I am against salt as a normal every
day additive to the pond. The legend of salt propegates, and people start
adding it to make their fish healthy.
/soap box

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Gardening 25 05-08-2007 07:19 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 31-07-2007 08:36 PM
Sick Koi, please help RichToyBox Ponds 2 18-07-2003 09:22 AM
**sick koi** #help# *muffin* Ponds 33 18-07-2003 01:50 AM