Old 13-05-2004, 04:03 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

Default Newbie here...

Greetings from Ontario Canada folks.
I just bought a 550 gallon pond kit. for my mom's backyard. I went medium
sized for her so she can look after it when I move next year. Then I plan
putting my plumbing skills to work and building a 1500ish gallon pond at our
new house.
Anyway I have everything in & working. I'm surprised I got the waterfall
feature to look so natural in so little time. I have some minor landscaping
to do & I'm just waiting for the muckiness to be removed from the pond, some
of the outlining rocks were a little muddy.
Anyway I know I can't get too fancy with this pond cause its a kit. (A
Beckett Kit if that helps) No UV, skimmer etc, just a pump.
I have a few questions.
Once the murkiness clears how long after can I put goldfish in. From the
various posts I read in here, I assume goldfish are far easier to maintain
than Kois. My mom or even me in the future doesn't need to be checking this
& that every day if you know what I mean.
Do I need to add chemicals weekly to the pond for the fish to survive.
I'll be adding plants after the pond goes clear. The pond gets a lot of sun
so I take it I need to add algaecides as well.
any help is greatly appreciated. I will try to take a pic and link it up
later this week.
Thanks for the help in advance..

P.S. If anyone needs any plumbing info, don't hesitate to ask.
--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

Old 13-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Mosfunland

I would put some plants in now.....hold offon the goldfish, forget about
koi....put in a lily (shade from the lilypads) hyacinth (roots filter the
water) and let it cycle for a week or so.....it will get green after the brown
settles....so when you add a couple fish you might not see them for awhile till
it clears again.

Stay away from chemicals, use nature, it is an easier balance.

Good luck enjoy each addition.
Maureen
Old 13-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Nedra

YES! Plants, Plants, and more Plants. Plants are your insurance policy
against so much that can go wrong. Maureen is right.
No Chemicals.

Nedra in Missouri

Old 13-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

May you enjoy the pond!

Koi want a min of 1,000 gal. and an additional 100 gal per additional koi.
550 gal is too small.

Loads of plant growth will help our algae problems.

Good luck.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 13-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Janet

*waves from Niagara Falls*
I agree with the others, no chemicals. If the murkiness is from muddy rocks
and it's good Ontario clay you may need to drain, clean it out and refill.
There's something about Niagara Escarpment clay that just doesn't want to
settle out of the water. DId you buy your kit at Home Depot by chance??
Hubby was telling me yesterday that they are now carrying Beckett pumps
which are very reasonably priced (4500gph waterfall pump priced at $169!!)
Now's the time to be thowing in the plants. If local nursaries don't have
their water plants out yet grab some anarcharis from local pet/aquarium
store. Mine is growing like crazy right now. It overwinters in the pond.
Iris is good in the pond as are many other plants. You'd never be able to
overwinter koi in 550 gallons, think comets and other goldies. Be prepared,
you will have algae, it's not all bad. )

Janet in sunny, warm Niagara Falls where the fish are spawning like
rabbits! P

Old 13-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Mark Bannister

I'm new here but I would be wary of any name brand sold at big chains.
Check the model numbers carefully. If you cannot find the same model
numbers in the manufacturer's catalog they are most likely made in such
a manner as to make the $169 price possible.
Mark B.

Old 13-05-2004, 07:03 PM
coati

On Thu, 13 May 2004 11:33:14 -0400, "Janet"
wrote:

Mark the pump is indeed listed at Beckett's website. It's actuallly listed
as 4983 gph at 1" lift. I haven't seen it yet, hubby spotted it yesterday
while at Home Depot. Hubby actually subcontracts for HD in the At-Home
Services section and was asking a few questions of a staff member he knows.
Seems HD Canada is moving towards carrying exclusively Beckett pond
products....
Janet in Niagara Falls

My parents found out the hard way about using a cheap pump. Is a
question of you pay me now or pay me later. a $169 pump gets
expensive if you paying $20 or $30 a month in power to drive it. I
suggest you compare watts to gph/head before making a purchase.

And I totally agree with what everyone else says about plants. The
more the merrier.
Old 16-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Janet

Mark the pump is indeed listed at Beckett's website. It's actuallly listed
as 4983 gph at 1" lift. I haven't seen it yet, hubby spotted it yesterday
while at Home Depot. Hubby actually subcontracts for HD in the At-Home
Services section and was asking a few questions of a staff member he knows.
Seems HD Canada is moving towards carrying exclusively Beckett pond
products....
Janet in Niagara Falls

--

. ..

Janet wrote:

[...]

here here now, this poking at my daughter has to stop! Momma McKoi Ponds 0 15-05-2005 10:57 PM
Newbie here...(mag-drive pumps) Ponds 4 18-05-2004 02:25 PM
Newbie here needs to ask a question russandcathy Ponds (alternative) 7 10-04-2003 03:56 PM
Newbie here needs to ask a question BenignVanilla Ponds 6 02-04-2003 06:44 AM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM