Old 16-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Destroyallx

Default Pond pics...help?

hey everyone. i just took these pics of my pond..
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/
its about one month old, plants are starting to look bigger and are
growing.. but algae seems to be a problem, or maybe its my filtration
system... by looking at my photos, does anyone have any advice on how to
make my pond better in anyway... im open to any ideas.
thanx!

http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/

Old 16-05-2004, 03:06 AM
The~Doofie~Man©

I sent you an email but it bounced on me

--
The~Doofie~Man ©
"LET ME SEE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTERS!!!!!"

Old 16-05-2004, 03:06 AM
RichToyBox

For the green water K30a post the green water hints. The pond in very nice,
but is still new so the first thing needed is patience. It will clear. It
might be tomorrow, next week, or next month, but it will clear. To clear it
faster, get a uv. Also, most on here will tell you to get more plants.
Algae, though it has been reclassified, is lowest form of plant life and
uses the same nutrients as the larger plants. Larger plants will help
starve the algae.
--
RichToyBox

Old 16-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Sean Dinh

http://la.znet.com/~seannydinh/Pix/GreenWater.JPG

That is my 2 weeks old pond. I haven't build a cave, so I love the green for
now. It's good cover for the fish.

Old 16-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Ka30P

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for all forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall. Clean out pond once a year.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 16-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

The green is a bummer. If you could put in a bunch of fast-growing plants,
they would grab some of the nutrients. Hyacinth, water celery, watercress.
Time is another alternative.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 16-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Sean Dinh

Try this and let us know... http://tinyurl.com/2kc9z

I would try it on my pond if I don't like nor need the green water any more.

Old 16-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Your pond looks great. Add a bit of patience and you will continue to do
well!

As you continue to visit more pond web sites, you will get ideas on how to
hide pumps, filters, etc.

You may also learn about veggie filter, plant covers, tree shades, and other
types of shades.

Until then, relax and enjoy your beautiful pond and your hard work!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 17-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Mosfunland

If it sits in full sun without alot of plants, you'll battle green the entire
season.

It looks great, and the green is letting the fish hide from predators now.
Anything that adds shade will help, lily leaves, water hyacinth (legal in your
area?)
and the uv system will clear it too. Mine cleared in a bout a week. I let
some of the creepers from the garden creep right up and over the rocks into the
water until the lily got up and growing.

Maureen

Old 18-05-2004, 04:11 AM

Your grass is beautiful!
Old 20-05-2004, 07:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Way more plants, and depending on how many fish you have, a way bigger
filter. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

"Destroyallx" wrote in message
hey everyone. i just took these pics of my pond..
http://www.thehvscene.com/pond/
its about one month old, plants are starting to look bigger and are
growing.. but algae seems to be a problem, or maybe its my filtration
system... by looking at my photos, does anyone have any advice on how to
make my pond better in anyway... im open to any ideas.
thanx!

And some small pics of Morning glories 3 pics (1/2) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 2 03-10-2011 08:31 PM
Pond Pics.. help? Destroyallx Ponds (alternative) 2 19-05-2004 10:02 PM
Your Pond Pics BenignVanilla Ponds 28 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
posted my pond pics in binaries Russ and Cathy Ponds 0 03-04-2003 10:08 PM
Sharing pond pics ... Chi Tran Ponds 9 29-03-2003 06:20 AM