Old 16-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Ka30P

Default carnivorous plants :-)))

Oh boy, oh boy!!!!
One of our local nurseries is selling pitcher plants and venus fly traps! I
bought two pitcher plants and one fly trap.
I'm going to put them in the middle tub on my deck.
Going to have to do a little reading and make sure I can keep them healthy.
They are a true bog plant.
I had one volunteer carnivorous bladder wort show up in the frog bog via birdy
business. I don't think I'll put these in as they look a bit fragile and the
labradors once and a while will wade in the frog bog to cool off.
Also found society garlic for the first time around here. Smells nice and
garlicy with a pretty purple flower.

kathy :-)
Old 16-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Bonnie

Ka30P wrote:
Oh boy, oh boy!!!!
One of our local nurseries is selling pitcher plants and venus fly traps! I
bought two pitcher plants and one fly trap.
I'm going to put them in the middle tub on my deck.
Going to have to do a little reading and make sure I can keep them healthy.
They are a true bog plant.
I had one volunteer carnivorous bladder wort show up in the frog bog via birdy
business. I don't think I'll put these in as they look a bit fragile and the
labradors once and a while will wade in the frog bog to cool off.
Also found society garlic for the first time around here. Smells nice and
garlicy with a pretty purple flower.

kathy :-)

When the kids were young we had a venus fly trap. The kids
over fed the poor plant and did it in. I'm sure if its
outdoors it should do well. Any bug landing in the trap
will be done in. (Shame you can't get one large enough to
deal with the female bullfrog ;-)
What is society garlic? I'm not familiar with that.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Snooze

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Oh boy, oh boy!!!!
One of our local nurseries is selling pitcher plants and venus fly traps!

bought two pitcher plants and one fly trap.
I'm going to put them in the middle tub on my deck.
Going to have to do a little reading and make sure I can keep them

healthy.
They are a true bog plant.

Venus flytraps, and pitcher plants need warm and humid conditions. They
don't do well in direct sunlight or cool nights.

I have found that Sterling Rescue fly traps work well
http://www.rescue.com/Products/DisposableFlyTrap.asp

I personally use the disposable trap, because it's the same price as a fly
attractant refills for the reusable container. Just shut the trap when it's
full, ant toss in the trash can. Place it in a shady location away from
windows, because the stuff like an outhouse.

Sameer

Old 17-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Snooze

"Bonnie" wrote in message

What is society garlic? I'm not familiar with that.

It's a small plant that looks like clumping grass, but the leaves are garlic
stems. It has small purple flowers, if you crush the leaves, it smells of
garlic. It's gaining popularity, and you've probably seen it.

http://www.vnwg.com/fullsize/plant_society_garlic.jpg

http://www.jungiananalyticpraxis.com..._unknown_7.JPG

Check out those two photos.

Old 17-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Bonnie

Snooze wrote:
"Bonnie" wrote in message

What is society garlic? I'm not familiar with that.

It's a small plant that looks like clumping grass, but the leaves are garlic
stems. It has small purple flowers, if you crush the leaves, it smells of
garlic. It's gaining popularity, and you've probably seen it.

http://www.vnwg.com/fullsize/plant_society_garlic.jpg

http://www.jungiananalyticpraxis.com..._unknown_7.JPG

Check out those two photos.

Thanks, I don't remember seeing it - but that doesn't mean
much were I'm concerned ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-05-2004, 03:12 AM
RichToyBox

Kathy,

Check out http://www.pitcherplant.com/ and his method of making a bog garden
for the pitcher plants and other bog plants.
--
RichToyBox

Old 17-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Ka30P

http://www.pitcherplant.com/

Excellent site, thanks!

kathy :-)
Old 17-05-2004, 05:19 PM
joe

I have the variegated form around my pond. Very nice and maintenance free
(except deadheading)

Joe

Old 19-05-2004, 10:08 PM
T Banning

Another good site in the Northwest....

http://www.oudeanswillowcreeknursery.com/

Tom
"Ka30P" wrote in message
http://www.pitcherplant.com/

Excellent site, thanks!

kathy :-)

Old 20-05-2004, 07:13 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Oh boy, oh boy!!!!
One of our local nurseries is selling pitcher plants and venus fly traps!

bought two pitcher plants and one fly trap.
I'm going to put them in the middle tub on my deck.
Going to have to do a little reading and make sure I can keep them

healthy.
They are a true bog plant.
I had one volunteer carnivorous bladder wort show up in the frog bog via

birdy
business. I don't think I'll put these in as they look a bit fragile and

the
labradors once and a while will wade in the frog bog to cool off.
Also found society garlic for the first time around here. Smells nice and
garlicy with a pretty purple flower.

I tried a pitcher last year. It did not do well, and finally died. Let me
know how it goes. I may try again!

BV.

carnivorous plants a.c. United Kingdom 21 30-06-2005 04:46 PM
Carnivorous plants George B Gardening 6 29-11-2003 03:22 AM
Carnivorous plants that eat pets? Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 19 26-11-2003 01:02 AM
Hardiness of carnivorous plants Marcus Fox United Kingdom 4 07-04-2003 10:20 PM
carnivorous plants darlingtonia974 Gardening 2 12-03-2003 06:44 PM