Old 21-11-2003, 03:22 PM
George B

Default Carnivorous plants

What kind of carnivorous plant are hermles to domestice house animals
like dogs and cats. I wanted to start a venus flytrap garden in an
aquarium and was afraid of what it may do to my cat or dog. What if
the animals ate the plants??
Thank you VERY much
George
Old 22-11-2003, 02:04 AM

(George B) wrote:

I wanted to start a venus flytrap garden in an
aquarium and was afraid of what it may do to my cat or dog. What if
the animals ate the plants??

http://www.humane-so-arizona.org/Poisonous%20plants.pdf

According to this, all parts of a venus flytrap are toxic if ingested.

I'd suggest nixing the idea of venus flytraps if you have animals.
Old 27-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Salty Thumb

wrote in news:rh8trvo8jejbcfql0402mco2qidbtcf9rv@
4ax.com:

(George B) wrote:

I wanted to start a venus flytrap garden in an
aquarium and was afraid of what it may do to my cat or dog. What if
the animals ate the plants??

http://www.humane-so-arizona.org/Poisonous%20plants.pdf

According to this, all parts of a venus flytrap are toxic if ingested.

I'd suggest nixing the idea of venus flytraps if you have animals.

You'll probably have problem with pets and plants if you feed the plants
meat. Eventually Snoppy or Garfield will smell it, get curious and
probably redecorate your aquarium.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of carnivorous plants are poisonous, given
they would probably need protection from starving herbivores that wandered
into a bog with not much else edible around.
Old 27-11-2003, 11:42 PM
paghat

I have a carniverous plant query so might as well insert it into this
existing thread. My White Topped Pitcher Plant got trampled to the ground
by a racoon a year ago & never fully recovered; it tried but did not
succeed in producing even one full trumpet this rest of the year. It's
still alive; it produced long tall unfinished trumpets, but they never got
to the point where it could "eat." The "rootball" is minimal & merely
anchors it, I don't believe it gets ANY nourishment from the soil. So, is
there any chance this plant may still bounce back next year? Without
having caught even one moth or bug, it seems it'll have to be even weaker
next year than it was this past year so is just doomed. It was so pretty
before the racoon got it. Will I have to give up & get another one
altogether??

-paghat

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 28-11-2003, 03:42 AM
animaux

My recommendation would be to foliar feed this plant, even through winter if any
part of it stays evergreen in your region. It should bounce back, but I find
this particular family of plants appreciates colonization, rather than specimen
settings. I think with regular foliar applications of seaweed it will recover.
See if you can find other plants to form a colony in the same family and plant
them nearby.

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:51:58 -0800, (paghat)
opined:

Old 28-11-2003, 08:32 AM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

My recommendation would be to foliar feed this plant, even through

winter if any
part of it stays evergreen in your region. It should bounce back, but I find
this particular family of plants appreciates colonization, rather than

specimen
settings. I think with regular foliar applications of seaweed it will

recover.
See if you can find other plants to form a colony in the same family and plant
them nearby.

Thanks, will try foliered seaweed, never heard of doing that. It does live
in a colony of sorts, but it's the only white trumpet sarracenia, the rest
of the grouping consists of very strong Purple Pitcher Plants which are
much shorter (almost prostrate) sarracenias, plus a single not-as-strong
hybrid called ladies-in-waiting which in two years has remained rather
dwarfed. They used to share the bog with a cobra plant but it sent out
runners & spread willynilly so I had to separate those into their own
little bog (the cobra was also racoon-trounced but bounced back with
extreme speed).

[...]

See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

[IMG] code is On

carnivorous plants a.c. United Kingdom 21 30-06-2005 04:46 PM
carnivorous plants :-))) Ka30P Ponds 11 24-05-2004 04:07 AM
Carnivorous plants that eat pets? Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 19 26-11-2003 01:02 AM
Hardiness of carnivorous plants Marcus Fox United Kingdom 4 07-04-2003 10:20 PM
carnivorous plants darlingtonia974 Gardening 2 12-03-2003 06:44 PM