Old 29-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Default The Great Dye Experiment

"Benign Vanilla" :

So I was at Big Orange this weekend, and wandered down the pond aisle. They
had these blue dye tablets that contain "enzymes" to eat the muck at the
bottom of the pond. The idea here being, tint the water and your algae will
die. I have about 3000 gallons, so I bought enough for about 1200 gallons.

Results...

....either I have less water or these things really work...my water is very
disturbingly blue.
....the algae seem to be affected as just after a day and the water is
tinted
but clearer
....the tables stain your skin
....the fish, frogs, etc do not seem bothered by the dye at all
....not sure I would ever do this again.

Question? Is there any reason that you can't get the same affect floating
large foam pads on the water to block the light? Maybe paint/shape them to
look like leaves. Or does that block too much air from the water?

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old 01-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
[...]

snip

I guess you could. I dunno. This dye thing was purely an experiment. LOL.
BTW, I changed out about 2 inches of water this past weekend. The water is
still very dyed green. *sigh*

BV.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Ka30P

EarlColbyPottinger wrote Question? Is there any reason that you can't get
the same affect floating
large foam pads on the water to block the light? Maybe paint/shape them to
look like leaves. Or does that block too much air from the water?

snip

Don't encourage him.
Or conversely, don't make it that easy.
Shade for the pond should come in the form of an elaborately designed and
constructed gazebo of cedar and redwood with tile inlays imported from Italy.

kathy :-)
Old 01-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
EarlColbyPottinger wrote Question? Is there any reason that you can't

get
the same affect floating
large foam pads on the water to block the light? Maybe paint/shape them

look like leaves. Or does that block too much air from the water?

snip

Don't encourage him.
Or conversely, don't make it that easy.
Shade for the pond should come in the form of an elaborately designed and
constructed gazebo of cedar and redwood with tile inlays imported from

Italy.

Grrr...Like I need another project...Kathy don't you have a horse you should
be attending to?

BV.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
HTH

If the pond was only 10 inches deep the 2 inch change would
be a 20% water change. More likely that the actually
change was under 5% which does little to alter the water
(quality or color).

A while back I wrote a page on the subject. It is geared to aquariums
but most of what is said works for ponds.

It includes a link to "Practical Fishkeeping"'s calculator for
determining water change size and frequency.

http://www.howardthehumble.com/aquatic/wc.html

Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote Grrr...Like I need another project...Kathy don't you have a horse
you should
be attending to?

Heck no, I'm in the middle of 'my mother is
coming' housecleaning. The twins graduate on
Friday!

kathy :-)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"HTH" wrote in message
If the pond was only 10 inches deep the 2 inch change would
be a 20% water change. More likely that the actually
change was under 5% which does little to alter the water
(quality or color).

I'd like to do a bigger water change, but before I can do that, I need to
get some fittings for my 1000gph hour pump. The 200gph through a small tube,
doesn't do much and takes forever. I want to set it up, so my SO can hook
the pond pump up to the sprinkler when she waters the garden.

For now I figure small water changes are better then none.

A while back I wrote a page on the subject. It is geared to aquariums
but most of what is said works for ponds.

It includes a link to "Practical Fishkeeping"'s calculator for
determining water change size and frequency.

http://www.howardthehumble.com/aquatic/wc.html

snip

The link is dead.

BV.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'd like to do a bigger water change, but before I can do that, I need to
get some fittings for my 1000gph hour pump. The 200gph through a small tube,
doesn't do much and takes forever. I want to set it up, so my SO can hook
the pond pump up to the sprinkler when she waters the garden. BV

Now some pump instructions recommend against this due to the back pressure
running a sprinkler would have on a pump.

I do think it is a very good idea to make water changes using the pond
pump, by just a twist of the valve or whatever.

When my DH designed my filter he asked me if I wanted similar. Like the
dummy I was back then (at least I hope I'm a higher functioning dummy now)
I said, "No, I can plop the old little giant in when I need it, since I
only have to do a water once a month." Oh man, hauling that little giant
(which isn't that little or light) out once a week and putting it away, is
a royal PITA now days. If I didn't have to use it on my lily pond and the
D.pond I'd keep it in my pump chamber.

Anyway, in case you missed it, regarding water change percentages, I
reported that I did a water change the other day and thought I'd do a salt
check before and after. Before the change I had a salt level of .13%, after
I had .11%. Bascially doing a little more than a 15% water change out. (13
minus 11 = 2, then 2 divided by 13 equals .154 or 15.4%) This really
surprised me. Here I though I was doing between 20-25%.

So for those of us who don't have perfectly straight walled, flat bottom
ponds who could calculate their water change % in feet (or inches) i.e., 4
ft of pond, drain down 1' equals a 25% change out. Here is another way to
use your salt test measurements. ;o) ~ jan

Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 AM
HTH

I telneted to a machine off my site to check the link via lynx.
It was working. There may be a nameserver problem.
If a few others could try it and let me know the results it would help.
Do not need 20 people to check 2 or 3 would be great.

Howard

snip

Old 08-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
So I was at Big Orange this weekend, and wandered down the pond aisle.

They
had these blue dye tablets that contain "enzymes" to eat the muck at the
bottom of the pond. The idea here being, tint the water and your algae

will
die. I have about 3000 gallons, so I bought enough for about 1200 gallons.

Results...

...either I have less water or these things really work...my water is very
disturbingly blue.
...the algae seem to be affected as just after a day and the water is

tinted
but clearer
...the tables stain your skin
...the fish, frogs, etc do not seem bothered by the dye at all
...not sure I would ever do this again.

I did another water change this weekend. This time I drained about 400
gallons or so. I did it over a two day period, when we started getting a lot
of rain. Some of the replacement was rain, some from the hose. Anyway, today
the water is much clearer, I can see down probably a foot. A lot of fish are
swimming, so I don't know if it is because the water is clearer or if the
pond is just coming into the season. The Koi, which have been impossible to
see for a few weeks, I swear, have grown a few inches. The minnows are
everywhere.

In short, the dye won't be used again.

BV.