Old 26-08-2004, 03:55 PM

makes for tea colored water. gets some muriatic acid. dilute (always acid into
water) and drip it slowly into stream of returning water until desired pH is reached.

actually... first, what is your pH?
Ingrid

"SkyCatcher" wrote:

Hi,

I've read that you can filter through peat to reduce pH. How do you actually
do this & what type of peat do you use?

I can only think of the big bags you get at B&Q for your garden & as this is
very fine how would you stop it just being washed into the pond?

Any help gladly received!

Sky

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 26-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Roy

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:55:23 GMT, wrote:

===makes for tea colored water. gets some muriatic acid. dilute (always acid into
===water) and drip it slowly into stream of returning water until desired pH is reached.
===
===actually... first, what is your pH?
===Ingrid
===
==="SkyCatcher" wrote:
===
===Hi,
===
===I've read that you can filter through peat to reduce pH. How do you actually
===do this & what type of peat do you use?
===
===I can only think of the big bags you get at B&Q for your garden & as this is
===very fine how would you stop it just being washed into the pond?
===
===Any help gladly received!
===
===Sky
===
===
===
===
===~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
===List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
===
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
===www.drsolo.com
===Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame
===~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
===Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
===compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the
===endorsements or recommendations I make.

BEFORE I would fool with ph I would make sure I was checking it at the
right time of day. Its going to be lower during sunlight hours and
will peak in the evening hours.......10 or 11 am is a good time to
check your ph. I checked mine last night and it was higher, but still
ok, but just a few minutes ago at approx 11am it was good and lower
than it was last night.

You can use lemon juice or white vinegar to adjust ph down from high
alk side and use baking powder to rasie it from acid to base side. Non
of these are harmfull or will cause any problems, but I would see why
my ph is so high..........do you have concrete blocks inside the pond,
is the pond concrete, all of which will increase ph levels unless it
neutalized before using, and even then it can still increase alk
levels. IIRC alk levels can go up as ammonia levels increase.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 26-08-2004, 08:46 PM
BryanB

Er... You mean Baking *Soda*... Baking *powder* will only make your
flower biscuits rise.... (Pun intended.)

(And, it's always been my belief that these are only quick fixes; they
do nothing to solve the problem of what's actually raising or lowering
the pH. Of course, I'm not above using the quick fix from time to time...)

--Bryan

On 8/26/2004 9:06 AM Roy let loose a lemur across the keyboard and it
typed:BR

Snip
You can use lemon juice or white vinegar to adjust ph down from high
alk side and use baking powder to rasie it from acid to base side. Non
of these are harmfull or will cause any problems, but I would see why

snip
* Can't see the Forest | Bryan B. *
* Through the Trees? | "Ho, Ho, Ho!" Santa *
* Take it out! | accused as he went *
* (Damn Viruses!) | through his list. *

Old 26-08-2004, 08:50 PM
SkyCatcher

Hi,

The pH is 8.5 - reading taken at 2pm & 6pm. It used to be OK & the tap water
is 7.

How much white vinigar would be needed for 10,000litre pond to get to 7?

Sky.

Old 26-08-2004, 10:46 PM
Nedra Crow

SkyCatcher,
I think that 8.5 is perfect for pH. Who in the world told you to lower it
to 7?

Nedra in Missouri

Old 26-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Roy

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:46:48 GMT, BryanB
wrote:

[...]
===snip

Well thats what I thought also, but its listed as baking powder in
quite a few articles numerous times on a supposedly reliable website,
so I assumed thats what they meant. I have always read and heard
baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, as thats what I use in out hot tub,
but I swear the website lists it as baking powder.....

PS In case yu want to double check it its the Pond Professor
website.......and all of the artilces dealing with ph issues list it
as bp........

I'm with you though, I would use sodium bicabonate (baking soda) PH
adjusts usually is not necessary if its buffered and no items are
placed in thre water to raise it or lower it, and at most its just a
temp fix until you make figure out why the ph is swinging high or
low....

Old 26-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Roy

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:50:08 +0100, "SkyCatcher"
wrote:

===Hi,
===
[...]

Fish and most plants are quite happy in 7.0 to 8.0...When it gets
above 8.0.... I would look for ammonia buildup or nitrogen out of
whack.......I would also take my reading for ph earlier like about 10
am, as in some parts of the country the sun is low and most plants
this time of year in the northern section or in shade may start to
reverse their cycle, so the ph is going to be higher later on in the
day or very early in the am.

I can't say how much vinegar it would take, but if you do go and play
with your ph add a small amount at a time, and wait for changes to
take effect, which cold be a few hours or longer. Nothing worse than
adding too much and getting it low and then have to play the chemical
balancing game which you usually wind up loosing anyhow and the fish
get stressed more with the ups and downs.......so add very little and
then check......

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 26-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Nedra Crow

Before you (Sky) start messing with the pH, please check to see what the KH
reading is.
If your KH reading is low... i.e. under 100 I would go ahead and add baking
soda at 1 cup
per 1,000 gallons. Your pH will balance out at 8.4 so that is an added
benefit. You can get the
KH testing kit for about $8.00.

Nedra

"Roy" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:50:08 +0100, "SkyCatcher"
wrote:

===Hi,
===

Old 26-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Nedra Crow

"Roy" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:50:08 +0100, "SkyCatcher"
wrote:

===Hi,
===
[...]

Optimum flow rate through filter. Brendan DJ Murphy Ponds 7 21-10-2006 06:52 PM
filter through peat SkyCatcher Ponds 1 05-09-2005 07:48 AM
Coir peat vs peat moss Mark Mantolfo Bonsai 1 21-01-2005 01:38 PM
Filter Pads For Trickle Filter Paul Cimins Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Filter Pads For Trickle Filter Paul Cimins Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 16-03-2003 01:32 AM