Old 08-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Roy

Default Found large source of free plants

Went to buy some rocks today for half barrel. On the way I spotted a
huge swampy area. So on the way back I stopped and pulled over off the
road and went out to have a look. I no sooner pulled over and another
vehicle came up and stopped and a fellow got out. He asked me what
Iwas doing, and I said just looking at the swamp and bog, thats
all.....He said ok, no problem, as he was having problems with folks
dumping trash......which I assure him I was not. I remarked that there
sure was a heap of water lillies, and other various aquatic plants in
that swamp that was worth some money and that there was actually more
variety in just what I saw than any of the local water garden or
nurseries carry in Montgomery.....He said, well help yourself, take
what you want, just don't leave any trash........He wrote me out a
note giving permission and left.

So far I have found bog bean, pickerel rush, straight form of a rush,
water lillies (spread about 3 to 5 feet with leaves 5 to 7 inches in
diam, some white and some yellow, and I spotted what appears to be a
pink one......) mostly white though. Lots of parrots feather and frog
bit and hyacinth.taro type (probably common elephant ears). The cat
tails were nbot all that tall only about 36" max, so I may get some of
them as the ones I have get extremely tall. Appears to be water snow
flake, and what appears to be iris (dead dried blooms none actually
blooming), all around the edges and one side close by the railroad
tracks, as well and some others who I just can't remember, but IIRC I
seem them in various books. Just have to set down and look em up.

I collected up some odds and ends and one lilly, as the others were a
little to far out in the swamp for me to get the way I was dressed
today, and I did not have any bags to put them in, but I can see a
major planting of my pond now with some really nice matured lillys.
And just yesterday I bought and paid for a mailorder of parrots
feather.duh!

There was another plant there I am curious about. Its a floating
plant, and resembles frog bit, but not as tightly clumped together
with thr leaves. The leaves on this one are one or two to a stalk, and
thick like frog bit, but are a more pronoucned heart shape. Any one
have any ideas what it may be? Its not in any of my books that I have.

This is a ideal swamp, and nothing seems like its running rampant and
overtaking anything. Quite a few frogs as well......and turtles...

I got the 4 kiddies pools out when I got home, hosed off all the
plants I collected and seperated them into the various kiddie pools.
I'll leave them there for awhile and sterilize them all before I
utilize them. Saturday I'll probably go back with the wife and dig out
some lillys........and my books.

Not bad for all those free plants, but I had to pay for lousy flat
rocks!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:19 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message
Went to buy some rocks today for half barrel. On the way I spotted a
huge swampy area. So on the way back I stopped and pulled over off the
road and went out to have a look. I no sooner pulled over and another
vehicle came up and stopped and a fellow got out. .....

===================
What a deal! Lucky you. :-)))

I also got some free plants down by the river. Most there just look like
weeds though.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"If two men agree on everything, you can

Old 09-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Dances With Ferrets

You may wanna look up appropriate methods of cleaning the plants
before taking them home.... You may be transferring untold amounts of
parasites, bacteria, diseases and other pollutants into your
pond/aquarium... what good is $90 worth of free plants if it kills
$500 worth of fish? On top of that, it is illegal to uproot,
transplant, or transfer aquatic plants of any sort in some states.
Depending on the state laws, you can be heavily-fined, or in the worst
case, have your whole boat and/or vehicle taken away, even if you have
a land-owner's permission. I'm not trying to spew tirades from a
soapbox here, I've been known to do some of my own collecting as
well... but I'd encourage you to research what you might be getting
into.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Nice find.

I infer you live in Alabama. If it is like Mississippi, there will be no
rules about collecting plants. Our pond is stocked with 'local' lillies,
cattails, duckweed and hyacinth. No diseases that we have noticed.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Roy

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 05:37:10 -0500, "Jim and Phyllis Hurley"
wrote:

===Nice find.
===
===I infer you live in Alabama. If it is like Mississippi, there will be no
===rules about collecting plants. Our pond is stocked with 'local' lillies,
===cattails, duckweed and hyacinth. No diseases that we have noticed.
===
===Jim

Yep your right , Alabama, and while there is laws governing the
collection of fauna of any type, this is private land and is not under
control of the laws.

While I can't say with certainlty, I doubt there is any problems with
these plants, but I am going to quarrantine them for a while before I
do anything with them........stil looking for ways to sterilize them,
and about all I found so far is to use potassium permanganate, poured
into the water until it turns purple, which I would have to order if
thats the method to use. Right now they are still in various kiddie
pools, after being washed and trimed up, along with a couple of el
cheapo 12 cent feeder goldfish, which so far are doing just
fine.......although thats not a given.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Roy

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:19:44 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

===
==="Roy" wrote in message
et...
=== Went to buy some rocks today for half barrel. On the way I spotted a
=== huge swampy area. So on the way back I stopped and pulled over off the
=== road and went out to have a look. I no sooner pulled over and another
=== vehicle came up and stopped and a fellow got out. .....
======================
===What a deal! Lucky you. :-)))
===
===I also got some free plants down by the river. Most there just look like
===weeds though.

Nothing wrong with weeds. IMHO some weeds are actually pretty nice. We
have some in our front flower bed around the house, that the wife
absolutely refuses to let me pull. They just grow to a certain point,
get a small tiny purple flower on them, and have a nice form to them.

What the heck, parrots feather is classed as an aquatic weed by the
state of Alabama, and its sold around the country and on ebay all the
time, to folks that think its pretty.

I guess certain things are plants in some areas while they are
weeds in others, all due to the hardiness of the plant itself, and
the inability to erradicate it easily.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Roy" wrote in message
Went to buy some rocks today for half barrel. On the way I spotted a
huge swampy area. So on the way back I stopped and pulled over off the
road and went out to have a look.

snip

I suggest you learn about PP, before those plants hit your pond. You have no
idea what critters you may be bringing along.

Wow, I get to use this link twice in one day,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/Treatmen...te/default.asp.

BV.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 AM
RichToyBox

Definition of a weed. Any plant growing where you don't want it. Grass in
the flower bed is a weed, but in the lawn is great. Reseeding annuals in my
rose bed are weeds, but in the rest of the flower bed are desirable plants.
My taro grows both in the pond and in the soil around the pond. I consider
that outside the pond a weed, since it goes everywhere, my SO thinks it is a
desirable plant.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Roy" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:19:44 -0500, "~ Windsong ~"
wrote:

===
et...

Old 10-09-2004, 01:30 AM
Roy

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:59:18 GMT, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

===Definition of a weed. Any plant growing where you don't want it. Grass in
===the flower bed is a weed, but in the lawn is great. Reseeding annuals in my
===rose bed are weeds, but in the rest of the flower bed are desirable plants.
===My taro grows both in the pond and in the soil around the pond. I consider
===that outside the pond a weed, since it goes everywhere, my SO thinks it is a
===desirable plant.

Ah yes, Taro, my place is full of it. The wife adores it, and plants
it everywhere she can....She loves those large leaves.........looks
nice to a certain point but I usually am the one having to cleanup all
the stalks and leaves when it quits growing for the season. The taro
around the pond would not be so bad, but the banks are pretty steep
and its pretty deep there, so it requires a boat to get all the debri
up.....