Old 04-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

Yeah, I never believed it either :-) I just remember hearing someone
claiming it _could_ have happened. Since I can't even remember who, I
can't say how much credibility the guy would have had.
--
derek
Old 05-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Roy

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:41:11 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

===George wrote:
===
===
=== "Derek Broughton" wrote in message
=== ...
===
=== Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
=== modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.
===
===Yeah, I never believed it either :-) I just remember hearing someone
===claiming it _could_ have happened. Since I can't even remember who, I
===can't say how much credibility the guy would have had.

Following that scenerio, I know exactly where and who the "missing
link" is....I swear, the person I know has to be that missing link'
he is just one of a kind, just to see him walk and work and the way
he carries himself and his way of thinking he just has to be
it..........and no he is not handicapped in anyway.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:51 AM
George

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

Yeah, I never believed it either :-) I just remember hearing someone
claiming it _could_ have happened. Since I can't even remember who, I
can't say how much credibility the guy would have had.
--
derek

Oh, that has been one of the standard arguments for quite some time. And some
still hold to it. Truth be told, I don't think all of the evidence completely
eliminates the possiblity, but the DNA evidence is pretty convincing.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
MC

Even if air is a better insulator than water, you are ignoring the
fact that the water is insulated by the ground and the water on the
top of my pond will not be colder than the air right above my pond.
To insulate with cold air vs. warmer water is the comparison. Another
factor regarding insulation- the water/cover is, in fact, "leak-proof"
since it is resting on the surface. Any barrier you build is going to
have some outside air seeping in.

wrote in message ...
air is better insulator. that is why our jackets have pockets filled with feathers
hold dead air and not pockets filled with water. in air the molecules are very far
apart and dont conduct well. makes em good insulator. Ingrid

Water is a better insulater than air.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:52 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Yeah, I never believed it either :-) I just remember hearing someone
claiming it _could_ have happened. Since I can't even remember who, I
can't say how much credibility the guy would have had.

Derek you give up too easily. ;o) The website posted just said "probably
never" and the word "theory" was tossed around, no proof there. Personally
all I have to say is the proof is in "Monday Night Football", imnsho. Then
there is always "The Clan of the Cave Bear" theory/book. ) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 06-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Crashj

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

Yeah, I never believed it either :-)

Oh, that has been one of the standard arguments for quite some time. And some
still hold to it. Truth be told, I don't think all of the evidence completely
eliminates the possiblity, but the DNA evidence is pretty convincing.

Well, according to Science Daily we got close enough to catch crabs
from them.
http://snipurl.com/9kci
or head lice at least.
Crashj "Uggh, I don't see how you could be attracted to those lousey
N'andy girls!" Johnson
--
Crashj
Old 06-10-2004, 01:04 PM

oh.. they are same species. I was talking about "looks" and ability to survive in
the wild. lots of feral dogs make it in the wild. and wolf-dog hybrids are common.
Ingrid

Derek Broughton wrote:
some do claim wolves and dogs are the same species).

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 06-10-2004, 06:15 PM
George

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

Yeah, I never believed it either :-)

Oh, that has been one of the standard arguments for quite some time. And some
still hold to it. Truth be told, I don't think all of the evidence completely
eliminates the possiblity, but the DNA evidence is pretty convincing.

Well, according to Science Daily we got close enough to catch crabs
from them.
http://snipurl.com/9kci
or head lice at least.
Crashj "Uggh, I don't see how you could be attracted to those lousey
N'andy girls!" Johnson
--
Crashj

You can get head lice from sleeping in the same place where someone who has them
last slept. And just because people have slept in the same place, doesn't mean
that those persons had sex together. The fact is that the DNA doesn't indicate
that there is a close genetic link between the two species.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Derek Broughton

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Yeah, I never believed it either :-) I just remember hearing someone
claiming it _could_ have happened. Since I can't even remember who, I
can't say how much credibility the guy would have had.

Derek you give up too easily. ;o)

Oh, in that case... (troublemaker :-))

--
derek

Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Recent genetic evidence suggests that Neanderthal never interbred with
modern humans. The DNA is too dissimilar.

Yeah, I never believed it either :-)

Oh, that has been one of the standard arguments for quite some time. And
some
still hold to it. Truth be told, I don't think all of the evidence
completely eliminates the possiblity, but the DNA evidence is pretty
convincing.

Well, according to Science Daily we got close enough to catch crabs
from them.
http://snipurl.com/9kci
or head lice at least.

Yeah, caught that on "As It Happens" on the CBC last night.
--
derek
Old 06-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

You can get head lice from sleeping in the same place where someone who
has them
last slept. And just because people have slept in the same place, doesn't
mean
that those persons had sex together. The fact is that the DNA doesn't
indicate that there is a close genetic link between the two species.

It's called the "smoking louse", and it is actually H. Sapiens and H.
Erectus that are involved. I didn't get all the details, but the point was
that head lice are _extremely_ specialized parasites. You can catch head
lice from another person a lot more easily than sleeping in the same bed,
but I believe they said that you can't catch head lice from a chimpanzee.

Their theory wasn't that the two species had had sex, just that they had to
have lived in close enough proximity to pass each other the lice, and that
they had to be genetically close enough to share the parasite.
--
derek

Winterizing Your Pond Benign Vanilla Ponds 1 28-12-2004 03:48 AM
Pond Heaters John Burton Ponds 10 23-01-2004 12:03 AM
Pond Heaters John Burton Ponds (alternative) 4 23-01-2004 12:02 AM
Pond Heaters for Sale response tom A Ponds 0 18-01-2004 07:32 PM
Pond Heaters for Sale Craig Ponds 14 16-01-2004 03:04 PM