Old 18-11-2004, 02:19 PM
aaalll

Default iron dumbell - Poison?

will putting an iron dumbell (weight that goes on bar) in pond be toxic to
fish? I have to weight down the pump hose that feeds the vege filter to keep
the raccoon from pulling it out.

Old 18-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Crashj

On or about Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:19:38 GMT, "aaalll"
wrote something like:

will putting an iron dumbell (weight that goes on bar) in pond be toxic to
fish? I have to weight down the pump hose that feeds the vege filter to keep
the raccoon from pulling it out.

And the reason to not use a rock is . . . ?
But I doubt the iron weight plate would be a problem.
We would like to hear more about what is going on in your pond??
--
Crashj

Old 18-11-2004, 02:39 PM
aaalll

Pond is great no problems except raccoon visits.
The water scarecrow no longer scares the critter.
Reason for dumbbell is that it's easier to tie the 1 1/4" hose to. and rocks
in Florida are at a premium :-)

Old 18-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Granny Grump

will putting an iron dumbell (weight that goes on bar) in pond be toxic to
fish? I have to weight down the pump hose that feeds the vege filter to keep
the raccoon from pulling it out.

About all it will do is it might turn your water a bit reddish.

Old 19-11-2004, 02:01 AM
Snooze

"Granny Grump" wrote in message

will putting an iron dumbell (weight that goes on bar) in pond be toxic

fish? I have to weight down the pump hose that feeds the vege filter to

keep
the raccoon from pulling it out.

About all it will do is it might turn your water a bit reddish.

Might stain some concrete, especially whatever the dumbbell is placed on.

Old 19-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Bad idea IMHO, The dumbell will leach all sorts of unwanteds into the water
column.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

. com...

Old 19-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Benign Vanilla

"aaalll" wrote in message
will putting an iron dumbell (weight that goes on bar) in pond be toxic to
fish? I have to weight down the pump hose that feeds the vege filter to

keep
the raccoon from pulling it out.

My guess is that it is not a problem. By the time that solid piece of metal
rots and fouls the water, you will have (do you like that future post,
pre-jurassic tense verb usage?) changed the water so many times as to not be
a problem.

If you are concerned though, go to big orange and get yourself a cinder
block, or other block with holes in it. It'll be just as easy to tie your
hose too, the algae will hide it in a matter of days, and the worst you can
do is harden your water a bit, but then again see my original point on will
have been water changes.

BV.

Old 19-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Sean Dinh

Not a problem. We designed our pond to leak, to purge impurity.

Old 19-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Anne Lurie

Does anyone besides me have visions of a raccoon pumping iron? complete
with little Ah-nold accent!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 21-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Benign Vanilla

"Sean Dinh" wrote in message
Not a problem. We designed our pond to leak, to purge impurity.

snip

Ahh, so I am not the only one with an automatic water change system?

BV.

Old 21-11-2004, 03:05 AM
Crashj

On or about Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:08:16 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote something like:

"Sean Dinh" wrote in message
Not a problem. We designed our pond to leak, to purge impurity.

snip

Ahh, so I am not the only one with an automatic water change system?

My rainwater powered automatic fill limiter and water changer has been
working overtime this week. pH has probably dropped two points. I will
check it when it stops raining.
--
Crashj
Old 21-11-2004, 05:19 AM
Sean Dinh

Not only that, but as well as an automatic irrigation system. You should
see how big the oranges get this year since the pond installation next
to the tree.

Poison Oak? Wayne Dyer Texas 15 29-05-2003 10:08 PM
Rat poison, was Mulch against home? SugarChile Gardening 9 19-05-2003 12:20 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners jane taylor United Kingdom 7 01-04-2003 11:08 PM
laying poison. shannie United Kingdom 12 01-04-2003 06:32 PM