Old 09-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Rodney Pont

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:32:02 GMT, george wrote:

This may sound insensitive to some, but he will die within a few minutes if you
just pull him out of the water, and place him in a proper recepticle. If you
believe in "waste not, want not, you can always lay him on the ground until he
dies, and then add him to your compost pile.

This can take a long time if the fish lies still. There is thirty times
more oxygen in air than in water and gills are very good at taking in
oxygen. Unfortunately without being supported in water they will
collapse so their surface area will be drastically reduced. How many
people have found an apparently dead fish outside the pond only too
have it revive when placed back in?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 AM
george

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i8horw0.pminews@ihs1 ...
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 19:32:02 GMT, george wrote:

This may sound insensitive to some, but he will die within a few minutes if
you
just pull him out of the water, and place him in a proper recepticle. If you
believe in "waste not, want not, you can always lay him on the ground until he
dies, and then add him to your compost pile.

This can take a long time if the fish lies still. There is thirty times
more oxygen in air than in water and gills are very good at taking in
oxygen. Unfortunately without being supported in water they will
collapse so their surface area will be drastically reduced. How many
people have found an apparently dead fish outside the pond only too
have it revive when placed back in?

--

We're talking about a fish in it's last throes, dude. Just because air has more
oxygen than water doesn't mean that they can utilize it better. Gills not only

Old 10-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Ook

[...]

My Pleco laid on the front room floor for hours and had the cats playing
with him before we found him. We thought he was a goner, but we put him back
in the tank anyhow. That night when we got home, he was breathing. For an
entire week he just sat there growing fungus and gasping. He lost his fins
and scales and was really a miserable looking wretch. But he healed, grew
back most of his fins, and today enjoys a leasurely existance in EthelMs
botanical garden in Henderson, Nevada. I'm not sure about goldfish, but some
fish can live for hours or days out of the water.

Old 10-12-2004, 03:22 AM
HK_Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I figured the best and fastest way to do
it was with the chinese butcher knife and to my surprise it was very fast
for the fish and I kept all digits.
I'm not sure about the leaving it out to try thing or the other "inventive"
suggestions, but the anesthetic idea's piqued my interest and I may buy some
in the future and try it out.

---Ryan

Old 10-12-2004, 05:01 AM
Bill Oertell

Well...the deed's done now, but my vote would have been for a small amount of
water and a blender. Ought to be real quick, plus you can use the mixture for
fertalizer later.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Nitesbane

"rtk" wrote in message

It really is a problem because fish tend to die so terribly slowly. I
know the best way to end it, but no way would I be able to do that.
Usually I don't have the courage to do anything and that's the cruelest
non-solution of all. I've seen a fish take more than a week to slowly
die and of course I read all sorts of silly accusatory messages in their
pathetic little clouded eyes. If I were braver and more considerate of
the fish than I am of my own selfish feelings, I would remove them with
a little tank water and perhaps add a little alcohol to the water
and/or the freezer.

I had to put a fish down once and freezing cold water with a couple drops of
alcohol did the deed in only a second or two.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:45 AM
george

"Ook" wrote in message

[...]

Was he on his last fin, so to speak, before he jumped out (I asssumed that he
jumped out)? You're missing the point. The guy said his fish was nearly dead.
If that is the case, it certainly is not going to linger long after pulling it
out of the water.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:09 AM
The Drunken Lord

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:11:05 GMT, "HK_Newbie"
wrote:

Alright, I've pretty much given up hope on one of my pond goldfish on ever
getting better, so I moved him into an indoor tank (after acclimating him to
the temp change) and waited a week for what I assume to be a severe slim
bladder disorder to heal. He was laying either on the top or bottom of the
pond, moving only when prodded and gasping for breath while the rest of his
pond mates seemed fine. I figured it would be easier to treat him inside,
in my hospital tank, but so far no luck. All my past experience for what I
assume to be dropsy (bulging scales, inability to swim rightside up or
maintain balance) the fish has either healed under treatment within a week
or died. This fish just won't do either though...

I've also fed him a thawed out pea just in case as well.

I feel that his options are pretty much gone and I'm not really interested
in seeing how long he can prolong his suffering, so my main question is the
best way to go about "ending" it for him. I realize how stupid this might
sound, but I rather liked this fish and have had him in my pond for three
years so I want to do this as quickly as I can. Any opinions? Or have
there been personally experienced cases where your own fish survived over a
week in this conditition to make a recovery?

I'll cross-post since this is a pond fish too, thanks in advance!

I almost prematurely euthanized a betta but he was one of my best
fighters, so I put him in a salt bath for four hours and the little
fella revived.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 AM
The Drunken Lord

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 05:12:46 GMT, "Nitesbane"
wrote:

"rtk" wrote in message

It really is a problem because fish tend to die so terribly slowly. I
know the best way to end it, but no way would I be able to do that.
Usually I don't have the courage to do anything and that's the cruelest
non-solution of all. I've seen a fish take more than a week to slowly
die and of course I read all sorts of silly accusatory messages in their
pathetic little clouded eyes. If I were braver and more considerate of
the fish than I am of my own selfish feelings, I would remove them with
a little tank water and perhaps add a little alcohol to the water
and/or the freezer.

I had to put a fish down once and freezing cold water with a couple drops of
alcohol did the deed in only a second or two.

If you drop a fish in freezing cold water, they will flap around for a
second before expiring. It is a method I have used, but some people
here think it is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:12 AM
The Drunken Lord

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 06:33:46 -0600, "Eric Schreiber" eric at
ericschreiber dot com wrote:

Steve Barker wrote:

How about peeling out on him with the car?
Flushing down the commode?
Drop in a bucket of bleach?
just some ideas off the top.

None of which were any good.

We have apparently been infested with losers from rec.ponds.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:15 AM
The Drunken Lord

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:14:21 -0700, Andy Hill
wrote:

"HK_Newbie" wrote:
... my main question is the
best way to go about "ending" it for him. I realize how stupid this might
sound, but I rather liked this fish and have had him in my pond for three
years so I want to do this as quickly as I can. Any opinions?

Years ago, I bought a small bottle of MS-222 / Finquel / Tricaine
Methanesulfonate (a fish anesthetic) for this purpose. Knock the fish out
using the "sleep" dose, then add a large overdose to finish the job. Kind of
expensive up front (around $50, IIRC), but I figure I'm going to be dead and
gone before I use up the one bottle I have, and I like to know I'm not botching
the job.

There is nothing worse than an inefficient kill. Several years ago I
helped a friend of mine kill a goat to cook for the 4th of July.
Because of inefficiencies, the kill took 45 minutes. Although the
goat tasted good, I believe the experience did detract from the
flavor.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:57 AM
lg

"Bill Oertell" wrote in message
Well...the deed's done now, but my vote would have been for a small amount

of
water and a blender. Ought to be real quick, plus you can use the mixture

for
fertalizer later.

I haven't had to put a fish down yet.......

I don't recon I could do it......

But it would have to be the quicket I recon...........