Old 03-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Crashj

On or about 2 Jan 2005 14:26:36 -0800, "soonrgrl"
wrote something like:

I live in a neighborhood where about a dozen homes back up to a small
pond with a fountain. Apparently, our HOA decided to "stock" the pond
with fish this year. I'm not sure how deep the pond is in the center,
but I doubt it is more than 15 feet or so.

Around here a pond like that would have a chainlink fence to keep the
suicidal neighbor kids out, especially the under three year olds. Why
is yours open?
--
Crashj

Old 04-01-2005, 02:06 AM

acidic, probably not toxic, but needles are really hard on pumps. had em dropping
into big pond from neighbors tree and pumping out the pond was punctuated with
stopping the pump to clean out the needles. It is the dead organic stuff that fouls
ponds and forces cleaning. why put dead organic stuff into the pond on purpose?
Ingrid

Phisherman wrote:

No. It is unsightly, but the tree limbs provide hiding places from
predators. If it were completely sunk, all the better. I question
about any toxins generated from the decaying needles and limbs.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
acidic, probably not toxic, but needles are really hard on pumps. had em

dropping
into big pond from neighbors tree and pumping out the pond was punctuated

with
stopping the pump to clean out the needles. It is the dead organic stuff

that fouls
ponds and forces cleaning. why put dead organic stuff into the pond on

purpose?

I've always feared the "toxic gases" from the pond bottom muck, but
everytime I stir that muck up in my pond (and admittedly in my aquarium when
I neglect it) my fish love it. They swim in it, they eat it, they go crazy
for it. I have never seen a fish die or even swim away in a funny way.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 04-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Huey Conway

Muck and dead vegetation in a naatueral pond is just natural......Our
conservation dept also recomends placing evergreen trees in to provide
shelter etc for fish in these type ponds......They are not going to do
any harm with a pond of that size. The pump is probably the typical
suspended submersible to power the fountain and should not get
affected by any pine needles or other leaves etc in the water. Folks
that have preforms and liner type ponds of a few thousand gal have no
earthly ideas waht a natural pond consists of and what can and can'[t
be done....Totally different ball gamne than a back yard pond. The
vast majority of these ponds have little to no bottom vegetation since
they are dug out and filled and deep enough to prevent ost aquatic
plants from getting a strong foot hold.

I seriously doubt others are going to follow suit and dump household
rubbish in the pond. Shelter providing is one thing, dumping of
rubbish is another. In a year or two noting will be left of the
christmas tree and it only adds to the ecological balance of a natural
pond.....

Just why would it have to be fenced in. Not all areas have idiots
living there that needs to be kept back from a pond that is made to be
utilized. Ranting about no fence and placing of a christmas tree in
the pond is sheer paranoia for follks that don't have a clue.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Derek Broughton

Benign Vanilla wrote:

I've always feared the "toxic gases" from the pond bottom muck, but
everytime I stir that muck up in my pond (and admittedly in my aquarium
when I neglect it) my fish love it. They swim in it, they eat it, they go
crazy for it. I have never seen a fish die or even swim away in a funny
way.

I've got to agree with Ingrid on this one. Yeah, they love what gets
stirred up from the bottom, because it's full of little invertebrates, but
if it's bubbling, it's not healthy. Koi ponds don't tend to get to that
stage easily, because the koi themselves root about in the muck enough to
keep it from developing gas pockets, but if you neglect a pond long enough,
it'll happen.
--
derek

Old 04-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Anne Lurie

I live in Raleigh, NC, and our local newspaper suggests recycling Christmas
trees as in *lakes* as either fish habitat or to stabilize banks that have
eroded. However, putting a tree in a small pond sounds like a bad idea!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"soonrgrl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a neighborhood where about a dozen homes back up to a small
pond with a fountain. Apparently, our HOA decided to "stock" the pond
with fish this year. I'm not sure how deep the pond is in the center,
but I doubt it is more than 15 feet or so.

Anyway, my neighbor was out trying to push his retired Christmas tree
into the pond this afternoon. Thinking that he was turning our pond
into a trash dump, I asked him what he was doing. His reply was that
he was giving the fish a place to live, and he asked me if I knew
anything about fish. Well, since I don't, I thought I would try to ask
around and get some more expert opinions on this issue. Is this a
reasonable thing for him to do?

I am concerned that his actions will result in a broken down pump
(which obviously, costs all of the homeowners to repair) or some other
problem. He tried to push the tree out there, but because the banks
are so shallow, it only made it out a few feet and got stuck there.
(okay, you can all stop laughing now!)

I would appreciate any words of wisdom you can provide. Thanks for
your advice.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Benign Vanilla wrote:

I've always feared the "toxic gases" from the pond bottom muck, but
everytime I stir that muck up in my pond (and admittedly in my aquarium
when I neglect it) my fish love it. They swim in it, they eat it, they

go
crazy for it. I have never seen a fish die or even swim away in a funny
way.

I've got to agree with Ingrid on this one. Yeah, they love what gets
stirred up from the bottom, because it's full of little invertebrates, but
if it's bubbling, it's not healthy. Koi ponds don't tend to get to that
stage easily, because the koi themselves root about in the muck enough to
keep it from developing gas pockets, but if you neglect a pond long

enough,
it'll happen.

Whoa nelly...I am not saying let your ponds go stagnant an grow a creature
from the black lagoon. I am just saying that you do not need to be paranoid
about it. It seems like many people recommend managing pond bottom muck as
if it's uranium. I disagree. It's not good to let it go, but you don't need
to worry about it, is all I am saying. In my experience a bit of muck
stirred up will not kill your fish dead like a can of raid on a bee's nest,
and mine are not in a sewer pipe, so I am not worried about that extreme.