Old 04-01-2005, 11:14 PM

I dont think your pond freezes over in winter does it? Ingrid

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Benign Vanilla wrote:

I've always feared the "toxic gases" from the pond bottom muck, but
everytime I stir that muck up in my pond (and admittedly in my aquarium
when I neglect it) my fish love it. They swim in it, they eat it, they

go
crazy for it. I have never seen a fish die or even swim away in a funny
way.

I've got to agree with Ingrid on this one. Yeah, they love what gets
stirred up from the bottom, because it's full of little invertebrates, but
if it's bubbling, it's not healthy. Koi ponds don't tend to get to that
stage easily, because the koi themselves root about in the muck enough to
keep it from developing gas pockets, but if you neglect a pond long

enough,
it'll happen.

Whoa nelly...I am not saying let your ponds go stagnant an grow a creature
from the black lagoon. I am just saying that you do not need to be paranoid
about it. It seems like many people recommend managing pond bottom muck as
if it's uranium. I disagree. It's not good to let it go, but you don't need
to worry about it, is all I am saying. In my experience a bit of muck
stirred up will not kill your fish dead like a can of raid on a bee's nest,
and mine are not in a sewer pipe, so I am not worried about that extreme.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
I dont think your pond freezes over in winter does it? Ingrid

snip

I keep a pump running near the surface which keeps a nice hole open.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:
[...]

Well, if _that's_ what you're saying, I agree with you :-) Ingrid's next
point is pretty good too - I do try to get the majority of the muck
vacuumed out before the pond freezes over. I certainly don't keep the
bottom spotless, even in Winter, but I do try to limit the muck to an
amount that can't develop serious anaerobic pockets.
--
derek
Old 05-01-2005, 06:28 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Well, if _that's_ what you're saying, I agree with you :-) Ingrid's next
point is pretty good too - I do try to get the majority of the muck
vacuumed out before the pond freezes over. I certainly don't keep the
bottom spotless, even in Winter, but I do try to limit the muck to an
amount that can't develop serious anaerobic pockets.
--
derek

===========================
This past summer I had an outflow directed into the pond in such a was as to
keep most "stuff" from settling on the bottom. Kept suspended, it was
sucked up into the filter. Of course when the temps drop I shut everything
off but the small pumps that keep an opening in any ice. There is very
little debris on the pond bottoms.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"Things are more like they are today than they have

Old 06-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Benign Vanilla

Benign Vanilla wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:
[...]

I used to do that as well, but I was constantly pulling frogs out of the
pond that were nicely settled in. I find that if I don't cover the pond, I
will have tons of fallout whether I scoop it daily or seasonaly, so now I
scoop in the spring after draining about 40% of the water.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Benign Vanilla

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Well, if _that's_ what you're saying, I agree with you :-) Ingrid's

next
point is pretty good too - I do try to get the majority of the muck
vacuumed out before the pond freezes over. I certainly don't keep the
bottom spotless, even in Winter, but I do try to limit the muck to an
amount that can't develop serious anaerobic pockets.
--
derek

===========================
This past summer I had an outflow directed into the pond in such a was as

keep most "stuff" from settling on the bottom. Kept suspended, it was
sucked up into the filter. Of course when the temps drop I shut

everything
off but the small pumps that keep an opening in any ice. There is very
little debris on the pond bottoms.

This past spring, I had a small pump sitting near the surface pumping water
around the pond egde. It got the whole pond circulating in a circular
fashion. When I stirred up gunk it eventually got pulled into the current
and ended up deposited against a pile of rocks I have. This aided cleaning A
LOT.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:47 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
This past spring, I had a small pump sitting near the surface pumping

water
around the pond egde. It got the whole pond circulating in a circular
fashion. When I stirred up gunk it eventually got pulled into the current
and ended up deposited against a pile of rocks I have. This aided cleaning

LOT.

================================
Whatever works. We also have a large settling tank full of plants on the
2000 gal pond. You wouldn't believe the "muck" that settles in this tank.
About once a month I hose it out. It's a livestock tank from TSC. I think
it's 50/60 gallons. The blocks in the Tetra filter also collect muck under
the pads. The water is usually clear all summer after that first initial
algae bloom in spring. I haven't used the UV lights the past two summers.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
Completely FREE softwa

Old 08-01-2005, 10:15 PM

with my netting and veggie filter I dont seem to get any much on my koi pond... but I
dont have a veggie filter on teh GF or orfe pond AND no net the whole pond gets
mucked up every year after the leaves fall. so in spring I got somebody comes and
removes all the muck. one falls worth of stuff doesnt seem to be that bad, but this
year I am putting up netting over the ponds!!!!! and they are both getting veggie
filters. Ingrid

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Well, if _that's_ what you're saying, I agree with you :-) Ingrid's next
point is pretty good too - I do try to get the majority of the muck
vacuumed out before the pond freezes over. I certainly don't keep the
bottom spotless, even in Winter, but I do try to limit the muck to an
amount that can't develop serious anaerobic pockets.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List