Old 02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
soonrgrl

Default Fish Pond question from the uneducated

I live in a neighborhood where about a dozen homes back up to a small
pond with a fountain. Apparently, our HOA decided to "stock" the pond
with fish this year. I'm not sure how deep the pond is in the center,
but I doubt it is more than 15 feet or so.

Anyway, my neighbor was out trying to push his retired Christmas tree
into the pond this afternoon. Thinking that he was turning our pond
into a trash dump, I asked him what he was doing. His reply was that
he was giving the fish a place to live, and he asked me if I knew
anything about fish. Well, since I don't, I thought I would try to ask
around and get some more expert opinions on this issue. Is this a
reasonable thing for him to do?

I am concerned that his actions will result in a broken down pump
(which obviously, costs all of the homeowners to repair) or some other
problem. He tried to push the tree out there, but because the banks
are so shallow, it only made it out a few feet and got stuck there.
(okay, you can all stop laughing now!)

I would appreciate any words of wisdom you can provide. Thanks for
your advice.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Where I live they only use bunch or reef of trees in streams or moving
water. They do sink ships,etc in the ocean for reefs but that water
does move.
Let you neighbor keep it up and he will be fish food if the pond is
that deep.There must be underwater plants for the fish to hide in.
Happy water gardening.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 PM

you are right, he is mistaken. the fish dont need a rotting pine tree in there (nice
water lilies are fine). and yes, pine needles are a bitch to get out of the pond and
it will jam up the pump. get the pine tree out of there. Ingrid

"soonrgrl" wrote:
Anyway, my neighbor was out trying to push his retired Christmas tree
into the pond this afternoon.

His reply was that
he was giving the fish a place to live, and he asked me if I knew
anything about fish. Well, since I don't, I thought I would try to ask
around and get some more expert opinions on this issue. Is this a
reasonable thing for him to do?

I am concerned that his actions will result in a broken down pump
(which obviously, costs all of the homeowners to repair) or some other
problem. He tried to push the tree out there, but because the banks
are so shallow, it only made it out a few feet and got stuck there.
(okay, you can all stop laughing now!)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-01-2005, 06:01 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I'd be in agreement here, but Xmas trees in a pond of this size, especially
if it is a fairly new pond, is recommended by our Agri department for such
reasons. Course our water has a high pH, and I would hope he had checked
the pond regarding that.

The ponder (closed system/liner ponds) in me says "no way".... you might
want to check that newsgroup K30 often recommends. I'll send her a note to
post it. Let us know what those folks say, if you would. ~ jan

K30 tells me it was misc.rural that can give you some good info on large
ponds. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Ka30P

Fish do like to hang around overhangs and tree roots. In my garden pond they
think they are hidden under lily pads (with their tails sticking out).

Your pond is much larger than the normal backyard garden pond. You can ask on
misc.rural. And we do have some large pond owners who post from time to time.

Your concern about the pump is warranted but a lot of stuff is going into that
pond on a regular basis, tree leaves, fish waste, insect bodies, blown in dirt
and sand, general debris from wind storms. If you have the right kind of pump
it will be okay. Eventually all pumps wear out. Really depends on the quality
of the pump.

Another concern is the kind and amount of fish which were put in the pond. They
will breed. This is where mother nature can help out by sending predators to
your pond. Depending on where you live snapping turtles will show up,
bullfrogs, herons, kingfishers, snakes, raccoons, mink - there are a host of
hungry critters out there, including little kids with fishing poles, and they
will help keep the fish population within reasonable limits.

good luck!

kathy

Old 03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Benign Vanilla

"soonrgrl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The tree if submerged would act as a nice spawning ground, but I'd be
hesitant do sink my tree simply because I'd be afraid of other following
suit. Next thing you know, you have ornaments in the water, people start
dumping their yard waste, etc.

--
BV
Webporgmaster of iheartmypond.com

Old 03-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Phisherman

No. It is unsightly, but the tree limbs provide hiding places from
predators. If it were completely sunk, all the better. I question
about any toxins generated from the decaying needles and limbs.