Old 13-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Gareee©

Default Snake removal?

Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove him?

We have goldfish, frogs, tadpoles, and newts, and we'd really rather he
didn't eat any or all of them (and since they get to be up to 4 foot long,
he's just gonna hvae to go.)

I *really* hate snakes, and need some ideas on removal...

Am I going to have to half drain the pond (or fully drain it?)

Needless to say, with all the other life in there, I'd hate to do that, but
I cannot stand snakes, and the wife wants him gone.

Here's a link to and image of the damned thing.

http://webpages.charter.net/gareee/pondsnake.jpg

Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 13-04-2005, 07:24 PM
kathy

ak!
I know snakes are important to the environment
but
ak!

We once had a ponder here from Louisiana
who caught a water snake with a minnow trap.
You have to use a live fish :-( and you might
have to build one big enough, or remodel one,
to get a snake that big.
She left some of the trap above water so the
snake would not drown and then she relocated
it.
And I found this on the web
http://www.insectimage.com/Gallery%2017/trapset2.html

good luck! And let us know what happens.

kathy :-)

Old 13-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Stephen Henning

"Gareee©" wrote:

Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Here is the book on northern water snakes:

Northern Water Snakes are extremely helpful to people. They control
populations of smaller animals, such as mice. Unfortunately, they are
often mistaken for Copperheads and Cottonmouths (also called Water
Moccasins, which don't even live in the same area), and killed. If you
see a snake, it is best to leave it alone. The color patter of a
Northern Water Snake can be similar to a Copperhead, even though water
snakes are much more common. Never kill a snake without good reason,
since they are so important to our environment. When it have cleaned up
the mice and other prey, they will move on.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL.../northern_wate
r_snake.htm
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 13-04-2005, 10:24 PM
CanadianCowboy

If you catch him I will take him !!!!

Voles city in my yard. Would love to have a snake !!!

Old 13-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Gareee©

Googled and already read the exact same information about them.

But I have a childhood fear of snakes, and my wife is almost the same way.
I'm not planning on killing him, but relocating him to the nearby woods.

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news

Old 14-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Reel McKoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove him?

$ If you remove it more will come. Where there is water and food for snakes
you will have snakes.

We have goldfish, frogs, tadpoles, and newts, and we'd really rather he
didn't eat any or all of them (and since they get to be up to 4 foot long,
he's just gonna hvae to go.)
I *really* hate snakes, and need some ideas on removal...
Am I going to have to half drain the pond (or fully drain it?)

$ I can assure you the snake will be be long gone before the pond is 1/2
empty - but it will be back. Before we netted our ponds we had several
snakes feeding in each one. We were spending a small fortune replacing our
fish that last pre-net summer.

Needless to say, with all the other life in there, I'd hate to do that,

but
I cannot stand snakes, and the wife wants him gone.

$ It wouldn't make any difference as it will come back. If you kill or
relocate it, another will quickly take it's place. About the only thing
that will keep snakes out is a bird net over the pond.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
----------------------------------

Old 14-04-2005, 01:16 AM
~Roy~

It would take a darn small mesh sized net to make any pond or item
snake proof......duh! And even then it will not work........No such
thing as snake proof unless its built from glass or other slick
smooth surfaces with straight vertical walls sufficiently high to keep
anything from crawlin gup and over it. A net over a pond and calling
it snake proof is false security.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:24:13 -0500, "Reel McKoi" wrote:

===

Old 14-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Gareee©

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove him?

$ If you remove it more will come. Where there is water and food for
snakes
you will have snakes.

I'm sure that will be the case eventually, but if he stays, I'll loose my
fish, probably the frogs, and the newts as well.

There must be some way to trap snakes, so they can be relocated.

From what I've read, they aren't poisonous, but will bite if approached, and
I need to clean the pond bottom, rearrange rocks in it, and get the lillies
out for splitting and rearrange them.

In other words, I'm afraid to be working in the pond knowing there's a snake
in there.

Old 14-04-2005, 03:52 AM
Reel McKoi

"~Roy~" wrote in message

It would take a darn small mesh sized net to make any pond or item
snake proof......duh!

## ACE Hardware carried the finer black netting. Only very *small snakes*
can get through it.

And even then it will not work........No such
thing as snake proof unless its built from glass or other slick
smooth surfaces with straight vertical walls sufficiently high to keep
anything from crawlin gup and over it.

## They can't crawl up and over our netting. No snakes have been seen in
either pond or any of the netted pools. Newts, very small frogs and
salamanders easily go through the net.

A net over a pond and calling
it snake proof is false security.

## We haven't lost one fish that we know of to predators since netting the
ponds.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 14-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Reel McKoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove him?

$ If you remove it more will come. Where there is water and food for
snakes
you will have snakes.

I'm sure that will be the case eventually, but if he stays, I'll loose my
fish, probably the frogs, and the newts as well.

## Yes you will. The snake will even eat the birds that come for a drink.

There must be some way to trap snakes, so they can be relocated.

## If you discover a way to trap them please let me know. We had so many
snakes we had to remove all the holly bushes and ivy in front of the house
where they were hiding. We also had to stop using the area under our front
porch for storage as it was full of snakes. They were also getting caught
and dying in the nets. Now with the FREE meals out of their reach and their
hiding places gone we haven't seen but two of them (last summer.)

From what I've read, they aren't poisonous, but will bite if approached,

and
I need to clean the pond bottom, rearrange rocks in it, and get the

lillies
out for splitting and rearrange them.

## Go ahead and clean the pond, but do expect them snake to return as soon
as things quiet back down.

In other words, I'm afraid to be working in the pond knowing there's a

snake
in there.

## Almost all snakes head for the hills when someone starts working in
their happy hunting ground, the pond in your case - so it's not likely
you'll get bit. I was bitten by a black snake when I was a kid. It's not
that painful.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 15-04-2005, 01:41 AM
RichToyBox

Google snake trap and look at the snake guard trap. It has a sticky glue
material that catches the snake inside a box. It mentions the sticky paper
rat traps, which one of my club members used, and it worked fine.
--
RichToyBox

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove him?

$ If you remove it more will come. Where there is water and food for
snakes
you will have snakes.

I'm sure that will be the case eventually, but if he stays, I'll loose my
fish, probably the frogs, and the newts as well.

There must be some way to trap snakes, so they can be relocated.

From what I've read, they aren't poisonous, but will bite if approached,
and I need to clean the pond bottom, rearrange rocks in it, and get the

Old 15-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Gareee©

that might actually work... it would be really nice if you could easily see
IN the trap though... LOL!

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Looks like we have an unwelcome guest.. it looks like a foot or so long
northern water snake.

Anyone have any ideas how to remove him?

$ If you remove it more will come. Where there is water and food for
snakes
you will have snakes.

I'm sure that will be the case eventually, but if he stays, I'll loose my
fish, probably the frogs, and the newts as well.

There must be some way to trap snakes, so they can be relocated.

From what I've read, they aren't poisonous, but will bite if approached,