Old 30-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
news:C4zce.27852$WI3.12093@attbi_s71...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
news7vce.27502$WI3.23874@attbi_s71...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Mike C" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I find the eggs, is it wise too remove them? My pond is fairly
small and I would imagine they would probably all be eaten

otherwise.
I removed the eggs this year. They were stuck to several bunches of

parrots
feather. Few survive if left with the adult fish.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

If you remove the eggs, they must be aerated in order for them to have

change
at surviving.

## I did not aerate them. I dropped the parrots feather in 3 barrels

and
one 150 gallon kiddy pool. They hatched in less than a week.

You can do this by using an airstone to run of gentle stream of
air bubbles over the eggs. Oh, and keep the temperature steady.

## You can't do that outside in large tubs or pools (zone 6).
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

No, but you can do it indoors, in a small aquarium set up as an incubator.

=========================
I have hundreds, perhaps a thousand fry. I just bought two more 150 gallon
kiddy pools for behind the house to raise them in. Now I need to get some
more small powerheads to make filters. I never expected this many fry....
They came through this last cold snap just fine.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 30-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Registered User

Exactly right! Spawning is one of the primary causes of foam in a garden
pond. It _is_ a good idea to scoop out the foam.
--
derek[/quote]

Oh thank goodness. I had some white foam in the pond today and I am like- what is wrong? What did I do? I found my first Koi baby today. Amongst the 100 black baby comets he stands out. He is only about 3/4 of an inch long. He is white with a big red polka dot on his back. He must be a Koi right? All my other babies stay black for what seems a long time. I am tempted to net him to look for tiny barbs. lol I will resist the urge.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Derek Broughton

Koitoy wrote:

Exactly right! Spawning is one of the primary causes of foam in a
garden
pond. It _is_ a good idea to scoop out the foam.

Oh thank goodness. I had some white foam in the pond today and I am
like- what is wrong? What did I do? I found my first Koi baby today.
Amongst the 100 black baby comets he stands out. He is only about 3/4
of an inch long. He is white with a big red polka dot on his back. He
must be a Koi right? All my other babies stay black for what seems a
long time. I am tempted to net him to look for tiny barbs. lol I will
resist the urge.

I don't think you can be certain he's a koi just because of a spot of color.
Goldfish get their color at widely varying ages. But I don't recall seeing
a "big red polka dot" on a 3/4" comet before.
--
derek

spawning! Carolyn Ponds 1 09-07-2003 02:48 AM
Odiferous spawning? Sue Alexandre Ponds 8 03-07-2003 07:32 AM
Spawning. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 19 28-04-2003 10:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on mad Ponds 0 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Spawning Part II MPEG Video of My Koi spawning are now on line. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 7 28-03-2003 05:32 AM