Old 20-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Dude

Default HELP I cant keep up with the algae production

My water is clear so its not the "pea soup" type algae. I use a
TURBO-TWIST UV POND CLARIFIER 6X 18 WATT. The problem I am having is
string algae I guess it gets long like hair and is on everything and
its growing like crazy. I have to pull some out every day. Is there
anything I can put in the pond to slow it down or stop it? Its on my
other plants and covering my pump too. I live in the Phoenix AZ area so
its already 100 degrees here so that some of the problem Im sure...Lots
and lots of sun all day.

Regards,
Chris

Old 20-05-2005, 07:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

What are your water parameters? See Sick Fish/Pond Form, fill it out.
~ jan

On 19 May 2005 22:55:28 -0700, "Dude" wrote:

My water is clear so its not the "pea soup" type algae. I use a
TURBO-TWIST UV POND CLARIFIER 6X 18 WATT. The problem I am having is
string algae I guess it gets long like hair and is on everything and
its growing like crazy. I have to pull some out every day. Is there
anything I can put in the pond to slow it down or stop it? Its on my
other plants and covering my pump too. I live in the Phoenix AZ area so
its already 100 degrees here so that some of the problem Im sure...Lots
and lots of sun all day.

Regards,
Chris

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 20-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Dude

Where is the form you speak of? I dont have a kit to test the water
with other than what i use for my pool. I have taken a sample to
petsmart a few weeks ago and they said it checked out ok but I dont
know the specifics.

Chris

Old 20-05-2005, 02:05 PM
kathy

Mainly jan wants pond size, filter size, fish number, kind and size,
age of the pond, how many plants are in it. Lots of information ;-)
I'll see if I can find the form, it's back a week or two
after I post this.

Petsmart should have test kits for sale. Check the expiration date on
them. Exact test results are what we need as there are some things that
can be *fine* by Petsmart standards but could stand tweaking by
rec.ponds standards.

All kinds of algae thrive on sun, fresh water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants and blown in dirt.

The best defense against algae is
to have lots of plants to compete for the nutrients
few fish
not overfeeding those fish
some shade
and cleaning up debris.

kathy :-)
www.blogfromthebog.com

Old 20-05-2005, 02:09 PM
kathy

Of course I could not find last week's but I did find one
posted in 2000. ;-)
Fill it out as best you can, the more info we have the
better we can help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*********************SICK FISH FORM**************************=AD*

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=3DUS Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =3D

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concre=ADte etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

PH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like in the last week?):

Medications used?:=20

What Zone or Country of residence?:

Old 20-05-2005, 04:26 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 20 May 2005 00:00:21 -0700, "Dude" wrote:

Where is the form you speak of?

See subject titled: Sick Fish/Pond Form this newsgroup.

I dont have a kit to test the water
with other than what i use for my pool. I have taken a sample to
petsmart a few weeks ago and they said it checked out ok but I dont
know the specifics.

Only takes an hour for things to go south fast. I recommend Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals purchasing thru www.thatpetplace.com or
www.DrsFosterSmith.com . Just as you must keep the balance in your pool,
same with a pond, smaller the pond, more one has to keep an eye on it. It
can take 6 weeks for a pond to balance if you don't mess with the cycle.
Once you get the feel for it, you don't have to keep testing like a
swimming pool. TG

Test to buy to start: Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, KH, and a thermometer.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 20-05-2005, 04:29 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 20 May 2005 06:05:37 -0700, "kathy" wrote:

Mainly jan wants pond size, filter size, fish number, kind and size,
age of the pond, how many plants are in it. Lots of information ;-)
I'll see if I can find the form, it's back a week or two
after I post this.

I'm posting it every few days, similar to your welcome. Unless the trolls
have hijack it. :-( ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~