Old 22-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Bette E

Default Calcium Montmorillonite Clay ??

Have any of you tried this product in your ponds? It was recommended to
me by a friend who has Koi.

(Snip)
Calcium Montmorillonite clay (AKA: Bentonite Clay)
Terra Pond=99 is a complete nutrient source
that clarifies and detoxifies pond water,
Improves fish color and conformation,
Improves fish immune system and is used
For Goldfish and Koi.

TerraPond is an absolutely pure form of Calcium Montmorillonite clay. It
contains color-enhancing nutrients for your fish and plants and also
removes impurities that result in clarifying the water until it
sparkles.
TerraPond is a very fine, pure, edible clay and it will stay suspended
in your water while doing its work.

Many first-time users are often concerned when their water doesn't clear
in a short period of time. Please do not be alarmed. Even if you
accidentally apply a dosage that exceeds our recommended amount, you can
never harm or overdose your fish with this 100% natural product.

HOW IT WORKS:
The magnetic attraction immediately begins when negatively charged
TerraPond is introduced into your pond water and begins the
micro-encapsulation process. This electrical ion exchange process is
also referred to as "flocculation."
As a result, the electrically bonded particles are larger in size and
weight. In Koi ponds, this increased mass then becomes filterable in
most bio filter systems

We suggest that you start with a conservative dose if your pond water is
already at or close to an acceptable level of clarity. TerraPond's
colloidal suspension properties allow it to continue bonding with
impurities, carrying them safely into your filter. It also allows more
nutrients to get into your fish's systems. Since the best koi are raised
and live in mud ponds, your fish will thank you for their mud bath that
improves conformation, coloration, health, and vitality.

Old 22-05-2005, 06:05 AM
George

"Courageous" wrote in message

The magnetic attraction immediately begins when negatively charged
TerraPond is introduced into your pond water and begins the
micro-encapsulation process. This electrical ion exchange process is
also referred to as "flocculation."

Personally, I'm often quite suspicious when a product needs to
introduce the notion of some rarifed process of physics. Magnetic
arm bands, anyone?

Anyway, you have dirty water?

How big is your pond, and describe your filtration system.

C//

Bentonite is great to use for planting water plants. It also is good for fixing
leaks. But don't buy the overpriced crap sold by dealers. You can buy 100 lbs
of bentonite powder for about $6.00 at an industrial pump or drillers supply
company.

Old 22-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Bette E

(snip) George wrote:
"Anyway, you have dirty water?"
"How big is your pond, and describe your filtration system."

Yes, I have green water, with about 1 inch of organic matter on the
bottom of liner and some string algae on waterfall spillway rock.

Pond is 2000 gals, 24 inches deep. I have a bio-filter in pond-- and a
veggie filter at the top of the waterfall.

I have 2 new eight inch koi, 14 other fish, (goldfish, shebunkin and 1
perch to keep the pond population down..) also found one very large
bullfrog tadpole. I skim daily. Water tests are all in normal range.

There are 3 water lilies, 2 large clumps of Iris, mini catails, assorted
oxygenators, plus floaters on top..

Old 22-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Reel McKoi

"George" wrote in message
Bentonite is great to use for planting water plants. It also is good for

fixing
leaks. But don't buy the overpriced crap sold by dealers. You can buy

100 lbs
of bentonite powder for about $6.00 at an industrial pump or drillers

supply
company.

========================
Everything for ponds and pond fish is horribly overpriced. That's why I buy
catfish food for my koi and large goldfish. It runs around $10 for a 50 lb
bag. Today I bought a large fish net I now need because of the size of some
of my koi. It was $20 in the fishing dept. of an Outdoors/Sporting goods
type of store - over $30 at a pet shop in Nashville.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 22-05-2005, 09:06 AM
George

"Bette E" wrote in message
(snip) George wrote:
"Anyway, you have dirty water?"
"How big is your pond, and describe your filtration system."

Yes, I have green water, with about 1 inch of organic matter on the
bottom of liner and some string algae on waterfall spillway rock.

Pond is 2000 gals, 24 inches deep. I have a bio-filter in pond-- and a
veggie filter at the top of the waterfall.

I have 2 new eight inch koi, 14 other fish, (goldfish, shebunkin and 1
perch to keep the pond population down..) also found one very large
bullfrog tadpole. I skim daily. Water tests are all in normal range.

There are 3 water lilies, 2 large clumps of Iris, mini catails, assorted
oxygenators, plus floaters on top..

Actually, George didn't write that.

George

Old 22-05-2005, 09:09 AM
George

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
Bentonite is great to use for planting water plants. It also is good for

fixing
leaks. But don't buy the overpriced crap sold by dealers. You can buy

100 lbs
of bentonite powder for about $6.00 at an industrial pump or drillers

supply
company.

========================
Everything for ponds and pond fish is horribly overpriced. That's why I buy
catfish food for my koi and large goldfish. It runs around $10 for a 50 lb
bag. Today I bought a large fish net I now need because of the size of some
of my koi. It was $20 in the fishing dept. of an Outdoors/Sporting goods
type of store - over $30 at a pet shop in Nashville.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Marine aquarium dealers are even worse than that. I really think that the FTC
should investigate these people because I think that they gouge the consumer.

Old 22-05-2005, 05:31 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Everything for ponds and pond fish is horribly overpriced. That's why I buy
catfish food for my koi and large goldfish. It runs around $10 for a 50 lb
bag. Today I bought a large fish net I now need because of the size of some
of my koi. It was $20 in the fishing dept. of an Outdoors/Sporting goods
type of store - over $30 at a pet shop in Nashville.
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...

Marine aquarium dealers are even worse than that. I really think that the FTC
should investigate these people because I think that they gouge the consumer.

There have been many write ups on koi food (Koi USA) and why it should be
used over cheaper farm-fish stuff, not only better for the koi, but better
for one's filter and water quality. Koi don't process the same foods in the
same way as catfish, their inner anatomy is different.

Nets from a fish store are designed to catch fish that are going to be
eaten. Good quality koi nets are for guiding fish into a container, where a
koi sock net is than used to pick up the koi, if it can't be bagged
straight from the container. You don't want to be gill netting your pets or
taking off scales. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 22-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Reel McKoi

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

## I've been reading that here for years. However my koi and goldfish are
thriving on a diet of about 80% catfish food and 20% kitten and puppy chow.
There is no logical reason the people making pond fish foods should be
charging $5 a lb and up other than greed.

Nets from a fish store are designed to catch fish that are going to be
eaten. Good quality koi nets are for guiding fish into a container, where

koi sock net is than used to pick up the koi,

if it can't be bagged
straight from the container.

You don't want to be gill netting your pets or
taking off scales. ~ jan

## If you have show koi where even the loss of one scale can be a disaster,
this would definitely apply (socknets and containers). But even the most
expensive net and careful handling can split a fin or loosen a scale of the
fish really fights. Have you looked at them in the sporting section? They
have the *same exact mesh* as the overpriced koi nets in the pond and fish
stores!!!! They're probably made by the same people. The mesh is too fine
to gillnet fish. It's soft and barely 1/4" mesh. You may be thinking of
those harsh crab-nets with 1" mesh.
I have never taken scales off a fish using these nets. They knock more
scales off themselves and do more damage when spawning. :-(

Remember that mini water Lilly I mentioned for $4.88 from Wally-World last
year? The one that came with 2 fertilizer tabs, some rocks and a mesh pot?
It already has 4 blooms and more buds coming up. An acquaintance paid $35
plus S&H for hers...... the same plant!

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 22-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"Courageous" wrote in message

## I've been reading that here for years. However my koi and goldfish

are
thriving on a diet of about 80% catfish food and 20% kitten and puppy

chow.
There is no logical reason the people making pond fish foods should be
charging $5 a lb and up other than greed.

It's like my neighborhood. I always have to get three or four contractor
bids on a job before I can get one fairly priced. Why? First thing the
contractor sees when the drive into my neighborhood is $1.5M homes. *cha
ching*. I've saved as much as 30% or more on jobs, and the work has always
been good. Anyway, with Koi, it applies. There is a perception that Koi

are the habit
of those with money.

## RIGHT! They're going to get what they can for their product - but not
from me. Also, when they see ponds, gazebos, manicured lawns and flower
gardens they also see $$$ signs.

Hey. Anyone out there raise live food for their fish?

## I harvest the fat worms from the compost heap. All the fish love them!

C//

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 23-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Courageous

Yes, I have green water, ...

A good UV sterlizer will take that right out*. Assuming you have no
real water quality issues, the problem would be solved.

,,,some string algae on waterfall spillway rock...

An enzyme digester, if that bothers you?

Pond is 2000 gals, 24 inches deep. I have a bio-filter in pond-- and a
veggie filter at the top of the waterfall.

Let's here about the size of your biofilter (which type?) and veggie filter,
as well as your flow rates.

And the veggie filter... it is lively?

C//

* p.s., I'm new at this, and have been doing a ginormous amount of reading;
book learning isn't to be mistaken for hard experience. Be that as it
may, the written word is: UV sterilizers zap free floating single cell algae.

Old 23-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Bette E

Thank you for your advice about purchasing pond products. (Point taken,
see bottom.)

I understand that there are two types of bentonite-- Sodium & Calcium.
Apparently, the sodium type clumps more, where as the calcium type, is a
bit more soluble (perhaps better, for some types of filtration.)
See: http://www.sfbakc.org/koienews/clayvsclay.html

I found this (see below) on the site: (along with info on how it makes
the water crystal clear and destroys algae.)

"Wal-Mart has a brand of kitty litter, apparently only carried by
Wal-Mart since it is their special brand, which is clearly labeled as
Bentonite clay, the preferred kind of clay to add to fish ponds. It's
brand name is 'Special Kitty', in a 25 pound red colored bag
(unscented), costing $5 for the 25 pound bag."

Old 24-05-2005, 12:28 AM
George

"Bette E" wrote in message
Thank you for your advice about purchasing pond products. (Point taken,
see bottom.)

I understand that there are two types of bentonite-- Sodium & Calcium.
Apparently, the sodium type clumps more, where as the calcium type, is a
bit more soluble (perhaps better, for some types of filtration.)
See: http://www.sfbakc.org/koienews/clayvsclay.html

I found this (see below) on the site: (along with info on how it makes
the water crystal clear and destroys algae.)

"Wal-Mart has a brand of kitty litter, apparently only carried by
Wal-Mart since it is their special brand, which is clearly labeled as
Bentonite clay, the preferred kind of clay to add to fish ponds. It's
brand name is 'Special Kitty', in a 25 pound red colored bag
(unscented), costing $5 for the 25 pound bag."

Even better, goto a industrial pump company or better, a drilling supply
company, and you can buy 100 lbs of bentonite powder for $6. FYI.

Old 24-05-2005, 07:48 PM
scs0

There is no logical reason the people making pond fish foods should
be
charging $5 a lb and up other than greed.

The purpose of a business is to make as much money as possible by
producing a product people choose to buy. If people chose not to buy
these products they wouldn't be able to charge as much for it. If you
want to blame "greed" on the part of the companies then you ought to
blame the consumers for "sloth" and "ignorance" because we aren't
seeking out cheaper alternatives.

It's especially odd to see that you're complaining about corporate
greed when it relates to feeding decorative fish that live in
artificial outdoor ponds. Some might find it "greedly" for you (and
me) to engage in excess like that when place problem here exists in
the world. Unless you're the poorest schmuck on the planet, everyone
can call someone else "greedy" as an easy way of dismissing a situation
they are jealous about or do not understand.

Be careful of the word greed. Greed has got to be the most overused and
misused word in the English language. Yes, I won't deny that it exists
but it's overused generally by the truely greedy to restrict the rights
of others.