Old 10-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Stephen Henning

Stephen Henning wrote:

If you are spraying a
field with established rhizomes, then you will need to keep at it since
the rhizomes can extend many feet under ground.

I should have said many feet laterally under ground. They never go very
deep. When I plant Christmas trees, I pull out long poison ivy
rhizomes. They are usually never more than 3 or 4 inches below the
surface. I am allergic to poison ivy so I wear gloves, long sleeves and
wrist guards. When I come in I put my clothes in the wash and
immediately take a good shower with a strong soap. I seldom get much of
any rash.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 10-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Koi-minator

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Koi-minator" invalid@invalid wrote:

Roundup does work on poison ivy. I have been using it for many years.
You need to use a strong mixture and add a spreader/sticker and may

need
to reapply. Roundup works best on mature plants that are sending sap

the roots, since it works by killing the roots. On very tall vines of
poison ivy, cut the ivy off about chest high and spray the lower part.
Poison ivy spreads by the rhizomatous roots and the seeds which birds
spread in their guano.

## And that's how we believe it keeps showing up on our property.

:-( We
used RoundUp at 6 oz. per gallon and had about a 50% killrate for poison

ivy
in the past.

I use Roundup at a rate of 4 oz per gallon and get 99% kill rate. I am
spraying new seedlings that have small roots. If you are spraying a
field with established rhizomes, then you will need to keep at it since
the rhizomes can extend many feet under ground. Unless you spray every
green leaf that comes out of the rhizome (which may extend over acres),
you won't effect a kill. If you cut a trench round the kill area about
a food deep, it will sever the rhizome around your kill area so you can
get a complete kill. If you plow a field of rhizomes, every piece will
form a new plant.

$$ Thanks Stephen. No acres of the ivy. It's just a few large plants that
came up around the ponds rock necklace. I sprayed them again today (last of
the Round-Up) and made sure to cover all the leaves that I could see.
They're still a bit yellow from the last spraying. I'm so deadly allergic
to them I find it difficult to get to all the leaves since they are tangled
with the net in places, the English ivy, daylillies, hostas and the other
plants around the pond's berm. I will get the rash right through a long
sleeve shirt and sometimes jeans. :-(

In large areas, mowing repeatedly may drain the rhizomes enough so that
spraying will be more effective or not even necessary.

$$ When we redo the collapsing berm/sides my husband will grub it out by the
roots if possible, and we'll spray, spray, spray since the fish will be in a
1,500 gallon holding pool behind the house - far from the spray. I also
plan to use that landscape cloth to help hold down unwanted plants including
the poison ivy. I should never have taken the advice to make the sides
almost straight as now we have a problem with them collapsing or bellying
in.

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Courageous

I wasn't allergic to it either, until about 2 years ago.....and then it
brushed against my arm as I pulled it out with gloved hands. I had it
over my entire upper body by the time it was done with me.

This isn't that unusual. Someone, largely immune to poison ivy or poison
oak, can swing about one day and have a very bad reaction.

C//

Old 10-06-2005, 02:17 PM
mark Bannister

mos wrote:
I wasn't allergic to it either, until about 2 years ago.....and then it
brushed against my arm as I pulled it out with gloved hands. I had it

Yep, same thing happened to my 70 year old mother. Hospital, steroids,
the whole lot.
Don't take this stuff for granted. I know people who can't go into
their yard. The slightest contact causes a life threatening reaction.

Don't use round-up near water. If you do use it, it helps to apply on
cloudy days. Sunlight breaks it down quickly.

Remember that even dead, dried up poison ivy can cause a reaction. (Of
course never burn it.) Clean tools/gloves with bleach water. (I once got
some inside my tennis shoes. Every time I wore them I got it between my
toes. Now every time I get it, it pops up there.

Stop it young if possible.

mark B.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:25 PM
mark Bannister

Oh yeah, I forgot this little tidbit. If you get poison ivy and can't
stop the itching, run the effected area under the hottest water you can
stand. While running under water you will have the most intense
sensation you can imagine. It's like all the itching is coming out at
once. Afterward you will get a short period of relief. You may feel
the desire to smoke a cigarette.

Mark B.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Kio-N-Stuff

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Oh yeah, I forgot this little tidbit. If you get poison ivy and can't
stop the itching, run the effected area under the hottest water you can
stand. While running under water you will have the most intense
sensation you can imagine. It's like all the itching is coming out at
once. Afterward you will get a short period of relief. You may feel
the desire to smoke a cigarette.

Mark B.

========================
I find that Ivarest stops the itching almost instantly. If the rash is
really thick with blisters, two applications are needed.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Ann R

A natural way to stop the itch and shorten the duration of rash is to use
spotted jewel weed. You can take the leaves and bruise them and rub it on
the area OR fill a large pot with the leaves and stems. Cover with water
and boil until water is reduced by half. Strain, cool and make ice cubes
with it. Store cubes in plastic bag. When you've been exposed to poison
ivy, rub jewel weed ice cube on area. If you cover the area right away,
you may never get the rash.

Learned this while living in Kentucky. My doctor didn't believe me so we
used my husband as a guinea pig. My husband only had to walk past a plant
and he caught it, big oozing blisters and all. On one arm we used the
doctors prescription. On the other my jewel weed ice cubes. The jewel weed
arm was clear in 2 days - honest. When the doctor's arm didn't clear up,
hubby used my ice cubes.

Try it. It's a free and easy. All you have to lose is the itch and rash
: ). Spotted jewel weed usually grows wild in damp areas along streams and
ponds.
--
Ann R

Old 11-06-2005, 02:16 AM
Kio-N-Stuff

"Ann R" wrote in message
[...]

==========================
I wouldn't know a Jewel Weed if I fell over it. :-) I'll see if I can find
a pic on the net. Thanks.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 13-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Folks,

Poison Ivy is a very hard plant to deal with. Gloves and shears is about
one of the only ways to get rid of it and then spray the injured stems with
Round up or other plant killers. We have a liquid that the Feed Store
sells, but I don't remember the name and it will kill just about every thing
you put it on.

Of course you have to be careful no matter what you use.

The important thing that you don't want to do if you kill the climber is to
rototil the soil or disturb the roots in any way. They release a chemical
that kills anything else that tries to grow where the plant was disturbed.
You can plant flower gingerly in the area, but disturb on the very top of
the soil. Natural decomposition of roots seems to destroys the chemical
that kill the plants if you disturb the roots.

What ever you do, DO NOT BURN the stems or leaves. The oils can become
airborne and will affect individuals and even people who normally are not
affected may be affect if the oil ladened smoke gets in their eyes or in
their noses.

Tom L.L.
"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I'm showing off some of the plants I put in at the edge of one of my ponds
and the person I was showing them off to pointed to another plant and
said:
"Uh, isn't that poison ivy?" Now I'm not allergic to poison ivy or any
other stuff like that (I would have known, I planted some stuff right in
the middle of a poison ivy patch, there's no way I could have avoided it.)
so I've never really tried to watch out for it or even learn to identify
it
too well. I Googled up a bunch of stuff on it and the pictures look like
it so I'm pretty sure that's what it is and even though it doesn't do
anything to me it still creeps me out. The past few weeks I've been
looking around for it and have found it only in three places.
Unfortunately they are at the edges of ponds and places that I have bush
hogged recently. I've bush hogged lots of other places where poison ivy
has not sprung up so I don't think the bush hog is infected or anything.
do wonder if I am creating especially inviting places for poison ivy (and
if so, how to avoid doing it) by creating tree/pond/grassy interfaces.
What is the best way to get rid of what I have growing? I took a squirt
bottle of Round-up (tm) to it and then thought that Round-up might not be
the best thing. I'm not really opposed to the "Kill them all, let God
sort
it out" theory of scorched earth weed killing, but there are a bunch of
neat little critters that live in those ponds and I'd really hate to screw
up their home. Short of digging out individual plants by the roots (I may
resort to that) is there any kind, gentle way to kill the evil weed?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

Old 13-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Ridge Roofing, Inc.

I've found that regular Round-Up seems to work much better on poison
ivy than their Heavy Brush & Poison Ivy killer. Don't know why but it
does.

Old 14-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Courageous

What ever you do, DO NOT BURN the stems or leaves. The oils can become
airborne and will affect individuals and even people who normally are not
affected may be affect if the oil ladened smoke gets in their eyes or in
their noses.

Out here in Calfornia, burning poison oak kills a firefighters every
once in when. "Poison oak of the lungs" is a very serious medical
issue.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if some people reacted that way to poison
ivy.

C//

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Brambles and Poison Ivy RK77 Gardening 3 01-06-2009 12:01 AM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM