Old 09-06-2005, 04:19 PM
CanadianCowboyİ

Default water Lillies

OK ...I am tired of my friends and family telling me why I don't have
water lilies in my pond so I am hoping someone will help me out. I live
in Canada (zone 5) so I didn't want the hassle of caring for these in
the winter.

What options do I have ? Buy them every year , put them in my garage ?

Any help would be much appreciated !
Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

CanadianCowboy=A9 wrote:
OK ...I am tired of my friends and family telling me why I don't have=20
water lilies in my pond so I am hoping someone will help me out. I liv=

e=20
in Canada (zone 5) so I didn't want the hassle of caring for these in=20
the winter.
=20
What options do I have ? Buy them every year , put them in my garage ?=

=20
Any help would be much appreciated !

Huh?! You can't keep *tropical* waterlilies in places with serious=20
winter, but there's plenty of pretty-coloured hardy cultivars of the=20
native species. Any decent nursery/pond place should have them; they=20
usually run ~$25 (half-price if it's after Laobur Day ;-). As long as=20
your pond doesn't freeze right to the bottom, they will overwinter just=20
fine, and expand year by year.

-- Kizhe

Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Koi-minator

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
OK ...I am tired of my friends and family telling me why I don't have
water lilies in my pond so I am hoping someone will help me out. I live
in Canada (zone 5) so I didn't want the hassle of caring for these in
the winter.

What options do I have ? Buy them every year , put them in my garage ?

Any help would be much appreciated !

============================
Don't buy the tropicals! Get the hardy ones like I do. They simply go into
a catatonic state over the winter and come back like gang-busters in the
spring. :-) You can find hardy water lilies at Wal-Mart in the spring for
as little as $4.99 each.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:53 PM
CanadianCowboyİ

Many Thanks !!!

I heard of hardy lilies but didn't think they would come back after winter.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Koi-minator

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
Many Thanks !!!

I heard of hardy lilies but didn't think they would come back after

winter.
============================
As long as the water stays liquid (doesn't freeze) at the bottom of your
pond they will survive. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Wilmdale

CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

OK ...I am tired of my friends and family telling me why I don't have
water lilies in my pond so I am hoping someone will help me out. I
live in Canada (zone 5) so I didn't want the hassle of caring for
these in the winter.

What options do I have ? Buy them every year , put them in my garage ?

Any help would be much appreciated !

They will come back if you prune in the fall and lower them to the
bottom of your pond to over winter. As long as your pond does not
freeze solid to the bottom, they will be ok. I started out with 3
plants two seasons ago one which was a pitiful looking thing from Lowes
that I paid $1.00 for that fall. It turned out to be my best looking
lilly last year! This spring I repotted and separated them and now have
8 pots of lilies. Don't despair! They will survive!
Success to you!
W. Dale

Why do Lillies need water depth? Carl Beyer Ponds 10 15-08-2003 05:22 PM
water lillies help andrew.forster Ponds (alternative) 2 08-07-2003 11:29 PM
hybrid water lillies jammer Ponds 1 16-02-2003 05:03 AM