Old 22-06-2005, 02:40 PM
news group

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

Just got this in an E-mail, the latest in heron scaring:
http://www.pondfiltration.com/heron.html

Think I'll stick with my motion sprinkler. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Pricey!!
Old 22-06-2005, 02:41 PM
news group

~ janj JJsPond.us wrote:

If the replacement arm is $18.00 and the motor is $33.00, what is the
other $500 for?

So the maker can stop at all the fast food places on their way, laughing to
the bank? ;o) Even if most of us could afford such a thing, it would kind
of beat the plants to death. Whap, whap, whap...... ;-) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

There is that, too!
W. Dale

Old 22-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Wilmdale

San Diego Joe wrote:

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote:

Just got this in an E-mail, the latest in heron scaring:
http://www.pondfiltration.com/heron.html

Think I'll stick with my motion sprinkler. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Jeez Jan, I looked at that and thought, "wow, what a cool idea!" Then my
eyes moved over to the price. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Still, seems a person should be able to Mcgyver something like that.
Hmmmm...

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

What I did this year, was purchase 50 lb test fishing line. Put up two
strands that look like a miniature ranch fence. Not bad looking at
all! Used the cheap wooden stakes you get from Lowes (or any store like
that) space them equidistance, install the fish line, and I have not
lost anymore fish this season (so far! :-P ) to herons.
Cost? $1.50 for the fishing line and the stakes were left over from 3
years ago when I put in the pond. :-) :-)
W. Dale

Old 22-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Reel McKoi

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
Considering the light weight of the swingarm, I'd think you could
cobble up a bracket out of about a 3" length of 1" aluminum angle.
Oddly enough, I have all of those in my basement...hmmmm.

=========================
Would something swinging be a danger to small children? As the arm came
around it could clip them... :-(

Ponds are a danger to small children... This specifically claims it won't
hurt the heron, so it shouldn't be worse for kids. It looks like there's a
10' arm, and something dangling off the end. If the pointy bit is high
enough to ensure it doesn't poke someone in the eye, and slow enough to

not
hurt, it should be OK.

I'm waiting for Mike's experimental results :-)
--
derek

==========================
I wish my problem was *only* herons. When we cleaned out the 800 gallon
pond last weekend we found a huge bullfrog in the schlock on the bottom. I
mean this was the mother of all bullfrogs. Although no koi were missing
only about 1/2 the Shubunkins were there. Two of my beautiful butterfly
ginrins had shredded tails. The shredded tails was the tip-off that
something got through the netting. We did find two tears near the ground.
We replaced the birdnetting around the bottom 18" with hardware cloth. Only
the smallest frogs can get through now. We also removed one real smelly
dead snake that commit hari-kari in the net where it ran through some large
Hostas.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 22-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Nedra

I have to admit that I am a customer of the Pond Filtration folk.
The fellow who owns the place is really a nice friendly person. I'm
very surprised
at the price.... (although the PH 3000 pressurized filter cost upwards
of $300
in '96 - maybe '97) Actually this 'thing' looks very flimsy... and an
eye sore on top of everything else.

I do have some good news though ... Two guys from the pond society are
coming out to redo my
pond and the first thing to go is the Pond Filtration filter. I'm very
very happy about this as I have been rinsing the bags every other day!
No wonder I'm so
exhausted ... j/k

Nedra from Missouri
Zone 6

Old 22-06-2005, 10:42 PM
kathy

Nedra :-)))))))

Looking forward to posts on the pond redo!

Too much time rinsing is time away from
pond pondering - sitting and enjoying!

kathy :-)

Old 23-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Mike Patterson

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:51:01 -0500, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
.. .
Considering the light weight of the swingarm, I'd think you could
cobble up a bracket out of about a 3" length of 1" aluminum angle.
Oddly enough, I have all of those in my basement...hmmmm.

=========================
Would something swinging be a danger to small children? As the arm came
around it could clip them... :-(

If they're out in the middle of my pond and I'm not there, then the
arm swinging around at 1 revolution every 10-15 seconds is NOT their
most pressing problem!

The arm's pivot point is out in the middle of the pond.

Are you the one who was afraid I'd destroy the planet with my fire &
water experiment? :-)

Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Old 23-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Reel McKoi

wrote:

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
.. .
Considering the light weight of the swingarm, I'd think you could
cobble up a bracket out of about a 3" length of 1" aluminum angle.
Oddly enough, I have all of those in my basement...hmmmm.

=========================
Would something swinging be a danger to small children? As the arm came
around it could clip them... :-(

If they're out in the middle of my pond and I'm not there, then the
arm swinging around at 1 revolution every 10-15 seconds is NOT their
most pressing problem!

The arm's pivot point is out in the middle of the pond.

Are you the one who was afraid I'd destroy the planet with my fire &
water experiment? :-)

=========================
LOL!!! I don't think so........ :-))
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 23-06-2005, 12:54 PM
~Roy~

The price on that item is pretty well overinflated by about 400% After
seeing that device, I starated to look around on what can be used, and
so far I can make one in less than 2 hours for under
$90...........Anyone even half capable of doing odds and ends and a
little scrounging could assemble one of them pretty cheap and
easy...... Other than the motor, I can scrounge up or have already,
from my routine scrounge places all the materials to make them. Given
a bit of time I know I can find a motor as well. The motors used on
BBQ grill rotisseries can be had for under $20.00.......rpm is right
in the ball park, as is torque needed to swing it. A core from a lunge
whip or stock whip which is fiberglass or even an old CB whip antenna
could easily be used to the rotating part, and an antennae extension
mast from a base station could be used for the support arm. These
extension masts are easy to find as trash in places that sell
communications equipment as they frequently get opens or shorts in
them which renders them useless for communications.

Then the $95 S & H fee is absurd. I bet the entire device weighs less
than #30 pounds probably less..........add that to the $500 and some
charge for a unit as such ....its a rip once again aimed at the deep
pockets ponders and fish keepers are accused of having.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 24-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Nedra

Thanks Kathy ... your sweet comments were are total surprise to me and
very welcome.

The pond society is having the annual auction for the next several days
so the guys are otherwise occupied. I just hope they get here soon -
how lovely it will be to have this awful PF filter Gone!

Nedra from Missouri
zone 6

Dont cha wish ur gf was hot like me??? [email protected] Gardening 0 06-07-2006 03:35 AM
Chia Head Planters Cha Cha Cha Chia [email protected] Gardening 0 23-03-2005 07:52 PM
Help for Heron Szpond Ponds 12 19-10-2003 02:02 AM
Heron alert! Don Ponds 8 30-05-2003 08:33 PM
Grey Heron Question NTL News Ponds 8 22-04-2003 07:32 AM