Old 22-06-2005, 05:34 AM
DD DDD

Default Why is my neighbors pond so perfectly clear.

I have a 300 gallon preform. My neighbor has a 200 gallon preform. I do
have bio.mech filter and all she has is a simple pump with a canister
and one fine sponge in it. No bio balls, no course filter or medium,
just one fine filter that is tiny. She said she puts no chemicals in.
She has 7 6 inch fish which seems over kill. She said her secret is a
automatic fill and drain system. A valve opens and puts in tap water
everyday (15%) And the overflow tube waters her garden. She uses no
declor. Is it possible to do this? She has done this for 3 years and
never lost one fish. She has chorine in her tap water but says 15% daily
water change has not harmed her fish and her water is crystal clear. She
cleans the small canister filter and puts in a new sponge once a month.
Takes her 5 minutes. She does no other maintenence at all. Can A pond
function with no bio? Cause it seems great to me. I have never seen a
pond clearer than heres. And she feeds her fish 2 times a day and I
think to much but it works for her. What does everyone think about this
setup? Thank you

Old 22-06-2005, 06:37 AM
RustyKoi

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I have a 300 gallon preform. My neighbor has a 200 gallon preform. I do
have bio.mech filter and all she has is a simple pump with a canister
and one fine sponge in it. No bio balls, no course filter or medium,
just one fine filter that is tiny. She said she puts no chemicals in.
She has 7 6 inch fish which seems over kill. She said her secret is a
automatic fill and drain system. A valve opens and puts in tap water
everyday (15%) And the overflow tube waters her garden.

# I wish I could afford something like that.

She uses no
declor. Is it possible to do this?

# Yes, since it's only 15% of the water.

She has done this for 3 years and
never lost one fish. She has chorine in her tap water but says 15% daily
water change has not harmed her fish and her water is crystal clear. She
cleans the small canister filter and puts in a new sponge once a month.

# Most sponges are reusable.

Takes her 5 minutes. She does no other maintenence at all. Can A pond
function with no bio? Cause it seems great to me. I have never seen a
pond clearer than heres. And she feeds her fish 2 times a day and I
think to much but it works for her. What does everyone think about this
setup? Thank you

# I think it's great and the fish sure would love the fresh water. It's
crystal clear because nothing is building up in it to feed algae.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 22-06-2005, 07:40 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:34:33 -0500, (DD DDD) wrote:

I have a 300 gallon preform. My neighbor has a 200 gallon preform. I do
have bio.mech filter and all she has is a simple pump with a canister
and one fine sponge in it. No bio balls, no course filter or medium,
just one fine filter that is tiny. She said she puts no chemicals in.
She has 7 6 inch fish which seems over kill. She said her secret is a
automatic fill and drain system. A valve opens and puts in tap water
everyday (15%) And the overflow tube waters her garden. She uses no
declor. Is it possible to do this? She has done this for 3 years

Is it possible? Sounds obvious to me. Assuming she has goldfish, with good
filtration/water changes she could have 10. Giving each 20 gallons a piece.

never lost one fish. She has chorine in her tap water but says 15% daily
water change has not harmed her fish and her water is crystal clear. She
cleans the small canister filter and puts in a new sponge once a month.
Takes her 5 minutes. She does no other maintenence at all. Can A pond
function with no bio?

There's bio going on there, the sides of the pond, plants and all surface
areas thereof.

I would consider 15% daily changes excessive, but if it's working for her,
who am I to tell her that fish won't swim? ;o) Only question I have, are
the 7 fish 3 years old? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 22-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Snooze

"DD DDD" wrote in message
[...]

It would appear that she has the "lazy man's approach" to ponding.
The fairly low chlorine levels in the pond after she water cycles probably
doesn't harm the fish, but the dilute chlorine levels combined with the
diluted fish waste obviously helps maintain the water clarity.

200 gal with a daily 15% water change is 30 gal per day, about 900 gal per
month. Shower heads sold in this area are rated at 2.5gpm. So that's an
additional 12 minutes of shower time, daily. I can't think of any place in
the world where that kind of consistent waste of water would be considered
responsible behavior. You point out that she drains the water into the
garden, fortunately there aren't many plants that need a daily watering
(potted plants being the obvious exception)

Old 22-06-2005, 01:05 PM
~Roy~

I dunno about her claim,, but if she feels confident thats whats doing
her job for her, then fine, but often times adding fresh water
excessively or on a regular basis can ad to algae blooms...........

I do not use declor of any type in my holding tanks and QT when doing
water changes of 15% or less. I just use straight tap water..Over 25%
sometimes I do and sometimes I don;t........use dechlor. I do however
think daily water changes are excessive though, but hey its her time,
money and water and if its working for her great.

She may also have hit the right combination of plants, filtration rate
and fish load..........

A lot of folks IMHO create their own problems of turbid water by the
types of food they deed, and the amounts of food they feed, so take
your feeding practice into consideration as well.
Yes ponds can function without a BIO but a BIO can also help keep
things in check better as long as its functioning properly........one
that is not, can be a source of headaches.

I think if she is happy with however her fish. water / plants are then
its what she likes, and perhaps it may work for you or maybe not......

[...]

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 22-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"DD DDD" wrote in message

all she has is a simple pump with a canister
and one fine sponge in it.

She said her secret is a
automatic fill and drain system. A valve opens and puts in tap water
everyday (15%) And the overflow tube waters her garden. She uses no
declor. Is it possible to do this?

It would appear that she has the "lazy man's approach" to ponding.
The fairly low chlorine levels in the pond after she water cycles probably
doesn't harm the fish, but the dilute chlorine levels combined with the
diluted fish waste obviously helps maintain the water clarity.

Chlorine levels wouldn't do anything for clarity. It might kill stuff, but
then you'd have floating particulate dead stuff instead of floating
particulate live stuff.

200 gal with a daily 15% water change is 30 gal per day, about 900 gal per
month. Shower heads sold in this area are rated at 2.5gpm. So that's an
additional 12 minutes of shower time, daily. I can't think of any place in
the world where that kind of consistent waste of water would be considered
responsible behavior.

How about North America? That sort of consistent waste of water wouldn't
even be _noticed_ in a society that thinks it's alright to spray water over
lawns!

Still, I think it's serious overkill. There's no good reason why you would
need more than 5% if you're going to do changes daily.

My new pond is going to be watered from the eavestroughs, and won't have a
pump at all. It'll be interesting to see how well it works.
--
derek
Old 22-06-2005, 02:31 PM
kathy

And your neighbor doesn't have turtles
in her pond. You do. Turtles contribute a huge
amt of work for the bio filter.

kathy :-)

Old 22-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Reel McKoi

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...
200 gal with a daily 15% water change is 30 gal per day, about 900 gal per
month. Shower heads sold in this area are rated at 2.5gpm. So that's an
additional 12 minutes of shower time, daily. I can't think of any place in
the world where that kind of consistent waste of water would be considered
responsible behavior. You point out that she drains the water into the
garden, fortunately there aren't many plants that need a daily watering
(potted plants being the obvious exception)

============================
She may have her own well. Just a thought. I personally would feel I'm
wasting water doing 15% every day unless I did have my own well. But then I
don't water my huge lawn either. I use recycled pond water on my flowers
and veggies.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 22-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Snooze

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
She may have her own well. Just a thought. I personally would feel I'm
wasting water doing 15% every day unless I did have my own well. But then
don't water my huge lawn either. I use recycled pond water on my flowers
and veggies.

What makes you think that having your own well gives you the right to treat
water like it's gasoline. It's not like there is an limitless supply of
ground water for everyone to freely use. Decades of using the ground water
in the Salinas valley by the farmers as if it's a free resource has caused
salt water from the oceans to get drawn into the ground water supply.

Mexico city has dropped a few feet over the years because of ground water
depletion. Other cities aren't doing so well either. Rural areas are
partially isolated from the realities of drinkable water shortages by virtue
of the fact that many have their own well. In the south west water is used
to mask the fact they live in a desert, everyone has a nice lawn, and pool.

Old 22-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Reel McKoi

"Snooze" wrote in message
m...

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
She may have her own well. Just a thought. I personally would feel

I'm
wasting water doing 15% every day unless I did have my own well. But

then
don't water my huge lawn either. I use recycled pond water on my

flowers
and veggies.

What makes you think that having your own well gives you the right to

treat
water like it's gasoline.

## I had a well in NY. Why not use the water as it was there and
replenished with each rainfall and snowfall. If no one used it, it just
ended up in the river and then on down to the ocean.

It's not like there is an limitless supply of
ground water for everyone to freely use.

## That depends on where you live. I live in the mid-south. No water
shortages here.

Decades of using the ground water
in the Salinas valley by the farmers as if it's a free resource has caused
salt water from the oceans to get drawn into the ground water supply.

## I'm aware of that.

Mexico city has dropped a few feet over the years because of ground water
depletion. Other cities aren't doing so well either. Rural areas are
partially isolated from the realities of drinkable water shortages by

virtue
of the fact that many have their own well.

## Our water here in TN comes from a small town Utility's deep well. The
surrounding towns get it from the river or a huge nearby lake. Again, it
depends on where you live.

In the south west water is used
to mask the fact they live in a desert, everyone has a nice lawn, and

pool.

## It's hard to relate as I never lived there,... although I took a trip out
west in the 1970s.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 23-06-2005, 04:04 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:51:27 -0700, Courageous wrote:

Yes, but this much of a water infusion daily, in a region that happens
to use chloramines, might be a bit dangerous. Because water districts
can change to chloramines on a whim, or even temporarily, it can happen
to the water gardener at any time.

A smaller percentage, though, should be safe in any case. To do math,
where it takes chlorine a day or so to evap, chloramine is closer to
a week. 15% daily infusion of chloramine purified water, would invite
a noticeable level in the pond.

True, but you're changing the equation now. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 23-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Greg Cooper

My book on Koi care written by Doc Johnson says that there is not safe
level for Chlorine exposure. Only amounts that are not immediately
lethal. Chlorine does cumulative damage to fish gills.

Cheers.

Old 23-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
She may have her own well. Just a thought. I personally would feel I'm
wasting water doing 15% every day unless I did have my own well. But
then I
don't water my huge lawn either. I use recycled pond water on my flowers
and veggies.

What makes you think that having your own well gives you the right to
treat water like it's gasoline. It's not like there is an limitless supply
of ground water for everyone to freely use. Decades of using the ground
water in the Salinas valley by the farmers as if it's a free resource has
caused salt water from the oceans to get drawn into the ground water
supply.

Hmmm. I don't think that's the way it works (ie, I think the salt water is
already in the ground, not being drawn in from the ocean), but the largest
aquifer in North America (the Ogallalla acquifer, covering much of the area
between the Rockies and the Mississippi), has been drastically depleted.
You can't just keep taking water out of a well and expecting it to last
forever.

And Carol, please stop adding "= name" to the end of subject lines. Half
the time you seem to be getting the attributions wrong, and for those
benighted folks who have lousy news readers, that don't properly thread
messages, it breaks the threading.
--
derek
Old 23-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Derek Broughton

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Snooze" wrote:

## I had a well in NY. Why not use the water as it was there and
replenished with each rainfall and snowfall. If no one used it, it just
ended up in the river and then on down to the ocean.

That's _only_ true for a dug well (ie, a well that is only a few feet deep).
Deep water acquifers take decades to centuries to recharge.

It's not like there is an limitless supply of
ground water for everyone to freely use.

## That depends on where you live. I live in the mid-south. No water
shortages here.

That's the kind of attitude that is going to turn the Ogallalla region into
a desert (that is, that part of it that isn't already one).

Decades of using the ground water
in the Salinas valley by the farmers as if it's a free resource has
caused salt water from the oceans to get drawn into the ground water
supply.

## I'm aware of that.

Yet you encourage the same thing to happen in your area?

## Our water here in TN comes from a small town Utility's deep well. The
surrounding towns get it from the river or a huge nearby lake. Again, it
depends on where you live.

Note: "deep well". That's the problem...
--
derek
Old 23-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Greg Cooper wrote:

My book on Koi care written by Doc Johnson says that there is not safe
level for Chlorine exposure. Only amounts that are not immediately
lethal. Chlorine does cumulative damage to fish gills.

That's true, but...

Chlorine is extremely reactive - that's why it's used in the first place.
It will get bound to all sorts of things in a pond (creating carcinogens in
the process...) and I really doubt it has much chance to get to fish gills
if you use small waterchanges. I also wonder how long the chloramine bond
can hold up in a pond loaded with organics.
--
derek