Old 31-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Jane

Default SNOW!

Hi people...I'm not very pleased about this. We have about an inch of snow
and 26 degree lows over two nights with newly planted roses. Is there
anything I can do to help them survive?
Thanks,
Jane

Old 31-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Henry

Jane wrote:
Hi people...I'm not very pleased about this. We have about an inch of snow
and 26 degree lows over two nights with newly planted roses. Is there
anything I can do to help them survive?
Thanks,

Well, of course, it's a bit late to do anything after the fact. Here
(Gaithersburg, Maryland) it only got down to 29 and only overnight.
It's above freezing again, now. If I suspect temperatures will drop
overnight and want to protect newly planted things, I just drape a sheet
over them (with plant stakes if necessary to hold it off the plants and
rocks on the edges to hold it down). The ground is warm enough by now
to provide just that little bit of heat necessary to prevent freezing.

--
Henry

Old 31-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

Jane wrote:

Hi people...I'm not very pleased about this. We have about an inch of

snow and 26 degree lows over two nights with newly planted roses. Is there
anything I can do to help them survive?

Oh, Jane. I'm sorry. Have you got them mounded with pine straw or some
sort of mulch? If this screws up your fabulous ZD bloom, I'll be so mad.

Thanks,
Jane

Old 01-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Jane

Hi Henry, you're right down the road from me....about 35 minutes.
I had some cloches that were too small to cover the roses so I used layers
of newspaper held down wiith stones. I'll give them linen tonight. Thanks
for the help,

Jane
"Henry" wrote in message
.. .

Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Jane

Thanks Shiva, I have quite a bit of dirt up mounded around their bases to
give them a little protection and I did use newspapers...but I think they'll
be really disturbed by the cold. If only it had just snowed and stayed
35ish....My 35 ft. star magnolia was just about half opened with fragrant
white blossoms and now they look like twisted wads of brown paper toweling.
whaaaaaa!
Did you have more serious rain there? I watched the weather channel
predictions. Seems like a good year to become a rice farmer there Hmmm/ Hope
your's are doing great. Have you planted your pretty new blues? I want to
see!!!!!
Thanks,
Jane
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.e9704fd45f9a0f974cc9a9fc50e94779 @1049132952.cotse.net...

Old 01-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Hurango

Buy new ones.

Old 01-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Shiva

Jane wrote:

Thanks Shiva [...] but I think they'll
be really disturbed by the cold. If only it had just snowed and stayed
35ish....My 35 ft. star magnolia was just about half opened with fragrant
white blossoms and now they look like twisted wads of brown paper

toweling.
whaaaaaa!

I am so sorry. I hope it will resume blooming once it warms up. I remember
how changable and bitter, bitter cold March and early April could be in
MD. No fun when things have started to bloom.

Did you have more serious rain there? I watched the weather channel
predictions. Seems like a good year to become a rice farmer there Hmmm

Yes, that's about right. G But where we are all the excess water runs
off. There are those who have built in the flood plane, but I was careful
not to buy one of those places. We have a mall that is underwater every
other year or so due to stupid and greedy developers and an indifferent
city council.

Have you planted your pretty new blues? I want to
see!!!!!

Everybody is in the ground, and I want you to see too, but I still have to
decide on which digital camera to get--then round up the funds to get one.
Then I'll be so happy to share you might regret asking! G

Old 02-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Jane

I'm so glad you're on higher ground! We have the same band of greedy
developers here digging our future sewers with 2 million dollar price tags
on the "golf course"...and they're putting them so close together neighbours
say "good-night" to eachother when they're in bed.
Good to hear your excitement about your new plantings. I have a digital
camera that I paid too much for a few years ago. but it does fine. Sony
Mavica...takes old fashioned floppy disks instead of memory sticks which
means I can put my photos into older devices. The newer ones make things so
simple if your computer is currently outfitted. Mine takes very close shots
and fairly good distances but nothing fancy. You've seen. I love your
scanner pictures much more than any of my ole digital photos. they are
fantastic. Too bad you can't lay the whole view down on the scanner. I'm
sure I won't ever regret seeing your pictures!
Jane
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.8a0c2584615538533c490035606a621a @1049216907.cotse.net...

Old 03-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Shiva

Jane wrote:

I'm so glad you're on higher ground! We have the same band of greedy
developers here digging our future sewers with 2 million dollar price

tags on the "golf course"...and they're putting them so close together
neighbours say "good-night" to eachother when they're in bed.

I'm not surprised. I remember how beautiful it is where you are--horse
country! But there is no stopping them. Whoever has the most $ always wins.

[... about digital cameras]

Mine takes very close shots
and fairly good distances but nothing fancy. You've seen.

I love your shots, and want to see ZD as soon as she bursts forth! Has the
snow melted? On the positive side, your roses will be well hydrated when
it does.