Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Bob Bauer

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:42:28 GMT, "Susan Solomon"
wrote:

Now, I'd
still like to find that little old yellow rose ...
Sue in SoCal

Well Sue, today is your lucky day, the rose you are describing is
definitely 'Rosa foetida persiana'. From the semi double small
yellow bloom form to the small leaves, large bush size and the smell.
(Foetid.... as in Rosa foetida).

You can get this rose in a ton of places, so go ahead and buy it now.

Good luck,

Bob Bauer

Old 09-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

One of the houses we lived in when I was a kid had a whole side of
the house dedicated to roses. They were there when we moved in,
and still there three years later when we moved out, my dad took
great care of them. I've just always loved the look and especially
the SMELL. Now I live in my very own house, and it came with a small
rose garden right in the front. Most of the varieties are common HTs
of the 50s/60s (at least the ones I've been able to figure out!), so
nothing special or rare. There were also some pink Simplicities along
a fence. Since then I've added a few of my own, I stumbled on the
Canadian Explorer hardy roses at a fall sale, and have been VERY happy
with them (especially John Cabot!). I have a HUGE briar patch that
is rosa eglantaria, over 10 ft high with arching canes that cover
themselves in hips and start new little eglantarias all over the place.
That's an original member of the yard too. I put a alba suavolens
nearby to try and make a hedge to hide the neighbors ;-). After seeing
Cheryl Netter's Jeanne LeJoie (as big as my eglantaria!), I planted
one myself, but the poor thing is struggling in a dry and semi shady
location, but still is there and blooming, just not taking off into
a 10 ft monster. Minis are definitely wonderful- they seem hardier
than the big guys and bloom more too!

And Susan, the yellow rose you remember so fondly sure sounds like
"Harison's Yellow". I put one of those in the back yard (the dog
yard) since it was supposed to be so hardy, but last year I had
some sort of bad cane dieback :-(. Hopefully this year it will
rebound. It's a wonderful rose, totally covered in buttery yellow
blooms during May/June and I can smell it from the back porch.

Tracy Lorraine Smith Boulder, CO Zone 5

Emil wrote:
Hi group,

Out of curiosity...How did everybody start with their hobby, more like a
passion :-) of roses? Did you learn by watching parents plant roses? Is
growing roses your occupation, any of you own a nursery? Etc. Etc.

As for me, when we bought our first house a couple of years ago, we bought 4
roses. Everytime we went to the nursery, we came home with more and more
roses. Final count at our old house was close to 35 rose bushes that I
planted from bareroots.

So what's everybody story?

Emil

Old 10-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Maria Martin

Emil wrote:

Hi group,

Out of curiosity...How did everybody start with their hobby, more like a
passion :-) of roses?

OK, I'll play along. When we bought this house 10 yrs ago there were a few
scraggly roses and I logged on to the formerly wonderful rec.gardens.roses to
perhaps learn what to do with them. It was a warm and friendly group (I still
have a big folder of print-outs of messages which included advice, but also
poetry, essays, observations, erudition, short stories, and some gentle
insults). I became an enthusiast. When Judy Pineda hosted a dinner party for
Sam McGreedy, I had to be there. When the group got T-shirts (thanks to Alice)
and wore them to SJHRG, I had to be there too. I now have maybe 60 roses in the
ground and 20 in pots. Latest purchase is Hot Cocoa, even thought I didn't want
any more floribundas, the color got me.

zia maria

Old 10-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Allegra

Hello Emil,

In the DNA. That is the only explanation.
My great-grandmother lived in Scotland
and her place was nothing if not covered
with roses and heathers both of which I
loved when we went to visit.

One set of grandparents lived in Provence,
nothing but lavender and roses there as well.
Another set of grandparents lived in Tuscany,
olives and roses there. In 1971 I moved to
Portland and many a trip later to their homes
my old garden had some of the most beautiful
roses -to me- that could be found anywhere.
Almost all, just like now in our new garden,
old garden roses.

After selling the house because of health reasons
and moving to a condo by the river I realized that
all the views in this world can not rival that of
a rose garden in bloom, so in July of 2000 we
bought this house and began all over again.
With over 170 roses and counting, I can tell you
that I am convinced a rose lover is born. It may
take some time and detours to become a roseholic,
but if it is in your DNA, there is no hope for you.

Allegra
who still thinks that a life without a rose garden
is not worth living ;)

Old 10-04-2003, 07:56 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

What got me started originally ... When I was a child, my family and I lived
in a 100-yr old farmhouse on the southwestern Iowa plains (zone 5 - ends of
the earth). The previous owners had a number of tough flowering shrubs and
trees around the house; one of them was a little sulfur-yellow semidouble
rose with tiny leaves and twiggy branches and a rather unpleasant smell that
became covered in golden yellow blooms in spring. That became "my" rose; it
was just about as tall as me. Sometimes I couldn't wait for the buds to
open, so I "helped" them by prying them open!

That little rose bloomed faithfully with no protection, no fertilizer,
nothing - and had probably survived for nearly 100 years. But when my
parents decided to build a new house, my rose was bulldozed one day when I
was at school. I was heartbroken. (My first heartbreak with roses! Many more
to come!)

Now, even though I love and grow contemporary HTs and some Austins, I'd
still like to find that little old yellow rose ...
Sue in SoCal

the rose Bob mentioned, certainly one of my faves on eart
http://www.nmt.edu/~mstephen/py02.jpg

here's a close one:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

one day I grew a great red rose, now I have a computer filled with truly
bizarre stuff.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 22:55:39 -0700, Maria Martin
wrote:

OK, I'll play along. When we bought this house 10 yrs ago there were a few
scraggly roses and I logged on to the formerly wonderful rec.gardens.roses to
perhaps learn what to do with them. It was a warm and friendly group (I still
have a big folder of print-outs of messages which included advice, but also
poetry, essays, observations, erudition, short stories, and some gentle
insults). I became an enthusiast. When Judy Pineda hosted a dinner party for
Sam McGreedy, I had to be there. When the group got T-shirts (thanks to Alice)
and wore them to SJHRG, I had to be there too. I now have maybe 60 roses in the
ground and 20 in pots. Latest purchase is Hot Cocoa, even thought I didn't want
any more floribundas, the color got me.

That is so nice! Whatever part of wonderful is missing now can still
be had, you know. In PRIVATE groups where you can all wear the same
t-shirts and make plans for dinner every week and even have a secret
handshake if you want.

Meanwhile, welcome to rgr 2003.

zia maria

Old 10-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Radika Kesavan

lms wrote:
In article ,
says...

Now, even though I love and grow contemporary HTs and some Austins, I'd
still like to find that little old yellow rose ...

the rose Bob mentioned, certainly one of my faves on eart
http://www.nmt.edu/~mstephen/py02.jpg

here's a close one:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

That is absolutely stunning, especially the second shot where the leaves
and the petals look stunningly contrasted. Awesome, awesome ...

Is that a grape vine in the foreground in the first shot? Still planning
to make wine?

one day I grew a great red rose, now I have a computer filled with truly
bizarre stuff.

Mind explaining?

--
Radika
California

Old 10-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Theo Asir

Not a boast but I bet everyone here who grows
roses consistently has the greenest of green thumbs
in their families.

I mostly grow roses because I can. Everyone
I talk to has horror stories to relate about their
naive attempts at growing them. I grow them on
balconies, in pots, by windows, under gro-lights,
in basements, by the kitchen sink, in big pots in small pots.
I right now grow a 4' high miniature rose in a half gallon pot.

I've grown species,
hybrid and got them all to thrive.

I supect millions try to grow roses
only a few consistently do well. So we stick
with the spectacular rewards that come our way.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 11-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Allegra

"Theo Asir" wrote

Not a boast but I bet everyone here who grows
roses consistently has the greenest of green thumbs
in their families.

Hello Theo,

No, far from the greenest, but the most smashed,
mutilated, poked by prickles and impossible to
keep clean in my family at least...;)

Apparently the roses don't seem to care about that.

Allegra

Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

lms wrote:
In article ,

says...

Now, even though I love and grow contemporary HTs and some Austins, I'd
still like to find that little old yellow rose ...

the rose Bob mentioned, certainly one of my faves on eart
http://www.nmt.edu/~mstephen/py02.jpg

here's a close one:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

That is absolutely stunning, especially the second shot where the leaves
and the petals look stunningly contrasted. Awesome, awesome ...

why...why...why...thank you, k rad, I'll be your messenger. that thing
has escaped the grounds, has popped up on the other side of the pickets,
in horse territory. they'll strip everything they can reach on some
roses, but they leave this one and R. primula alone.

Is that a grape vine in the foreground in the first shot?

being still naked, the extent to which:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/8x6S.jpg
there's another wor like this one off the right edge of this pic but the
roses on that side fight with it from boat sides of the fence. It's a pretty
even fight although periodically, every other year or so I hedge the bets
and hack the grape.
what gives me a good charge in this pic is that skyrose
right-center, back there along the fence--Cl. McGredy's Sunset, which was
in the first order I placed with Roses of Yesterday and Today years ago,
and my first hugely successful moved rose. Used to grow in front
of--north of--Cl. Talisman, Trigintipetala and Soleil d'Or--they were
smothering it.
At the time I requested that RoY&T catalog I wanted to plant some old roses
but when I actually got the catalog I ended up getting just two 'old' roses,
Leda and Trigintipetala aka Kazanlik. The other 'modern' was Cl. Talisman,
they're all still alive and plenty potent. omni potent.
And I almost forgot, I'm also growing 74 Oldsmobiles out there. It's
greening up.

Still planning
to make wine?

haha. definitely, it's right up there wit crossing foetida bicolor with Elina,
only need another Elina.

one day I grew a great red rose, now I have a computer filled with truly
bizarre stuff.

Mind explaining?

the red rose, a recorded first rose moment
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/nuuk.jpg

all the ones and zeroes, you know who you are hahahaha, it's all gobbledegook
without a decoder.

Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15

Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Bob Bauer

I will have about 380
.... And yes I have run out of space.

thank God! I thought you were going Supernova on us.

God knows I want to. I've got plans for the 'public' strips on the
street side of my building and lot. heh

great story though, and '69 rules

As I recall we got a lot of mileage out the phrase 'The class of '69'

nice.....

Dr. Brownell is in the bag here with me. Among others...... many
others...... heh heh

BTW, I am learning that there are only so many rose bushes that you
can pawn off on your neighblors......

Bob Bauer
Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Cass

Bob Bauer wrote:

great story though, and '69 rules

As I recall we got a lot of mileage out the phrase 'The class of '69'

Cheeses, you guys are old. That's *my* class.

Dr. Brownell is in the bag here with me. Among others...... many
others...... heh heh

BTW, I am learning that there are only so many rose bushes that you
can pawn off on your neighblors......

Time to convert one of the relatives.