Old 28-07-2005, 03:33 AM
Linda

Default tuberose plants

Old 28-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Victor Martinez

Linda wrote:
Hi. Just found this group. I just moved from Eastern Oregon to San
Antonio. Trying to find out information on growing things here. I

What a shock of a change!!!

Online, by looking at pictures, I can't see well enough to tell what
Zone San Antonio is in. Anybody know?

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...den/zones.html

2) Also finding conflicting answers as to the elevation of San Antonio.
I've found 4 different answers. Anybody know?

http://www.airnav.com/airport/SAT

3) Searching for good information on growing tuberoses here (some plants
were left here in a pot).

Plant them in the ground where they get plenty of sun.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Linda

Old 28-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Cindy

Victor Martinez wrote:
Linda wrote:
Hi. Just found this group. I just moved from Eastern Oregon to San
Antonio. Trying to find out information on growing things here. I

What a shock of a change!!!

Hey, I came from Montana. That's even worse....

I'm in Houston metro area, Linda, and they haven't kicked me out yet.

I bought Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening when I moved down
here. I like it, but maybe the natives have a better choice.

Cindy

Old 28-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Victor Martinez

Linda wrote:
Thanks a lot, Victor, for the nice reply. So I'm in Zone 8. Good. As
for the elevation, that link did not work for me. Caught your line

Well, link listed the elevation of the airport, which is 809ft.

about putting the tuberoses in the ground in lots of sun. Hmmm. Do
they like dry feet, wet feet, or just water when I get around to it? Do

Soil with good drainage, deep waterings every 5 days or so if it doesn't
rain.

they stay in the ground year-around or do I dig them & store over
"winter"? Are they considered "fragile" or hearty? Some things act
like I have a green thumb - others frown at my black thumb ;-)

They are perennials here, so you can leave them in the ground and
they'll come back. They do freeze to the ground, which is a good time to
mulch.

If I can continue posting in your group, I will elaborate on the
differences between Oregon and Texas later.

I don't see why you wouldn't post here, our weathers are very similar
(Austin does get a bit colder in winter). However, you'll only get our
scorn if you start pointing out that you can have a moss garden with
beautiful japanese maples in Oregon. ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 28-07-2005, 08:04 PM
John

"Cindy" wrote in message
news
Victor Martinez wrote:
Linda wrote:
Hi. Just found this group. I just moved from Eastern Oregon to San
Antonio. Trying to find out information on growing things here. I

What a shock of a change!!!

Hey, I came from Montana. That's even worse....

I'm in Houston metro area, Linda, and they haven't kicked me out yet.

I bought Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening when I moved down
here. I like it, but maybe the natives have a better choice.

Cindy

Hi Cindy and welcome to Texas!
Where in Montana are you from? Most of my kinfolk are from Glendive, very
eastern Montana where it REALLY gets cold..I think its 200 and something
miles north of Billings and about 20 miles from Beach, North Dakota..It's
also the gateway to Mikoshika flatlands park and where they catch
paddlefish...

Old 28-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Cindy

Hi Cindy and welcome to Texas!
Where in Montana are you from? Most of my kinfolk are from Glendive,
very eastern Montana where it REALLY gets cold..I think its 200 and
something miles north of Billings and about 20 miles from Beach,
North Dakota..It's also the gateway to Mikoshika flatlands park and
where they catch paddlefish...

Hello!
Well, I've been here 9 years. I come from the area about 95 miles
northwest of Great Falls and 40 miles south of Browning. Little town called
Dupuyer. Long way from Glendive.

Cindy

Old 29-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Linda

Old 29-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Linda

Old 29-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Elizabeth

"Cindy" wrote in message
news
Victor Martinez wrote:
Linda wrote:
Hi. Just found this group. I just moved from Eastern Oregon to San
Antonio. Trying to find out information on growing things here. I

What a shock of a change!!!

Hey, I came from Montana. That's even worse....

I'm in Houston metro area, Linda, and they haven't kicked me out yet.

I bought Neil Sperry's Complete Guide to Texas Gardening when I moved down
here. I like it, but maybe the natives have a better choice.

Cindy

Hmmmmm...you and I need to chat - we're leaving Sept. 17 for Montana!

Old 29-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Victor Martinez

Linda wrote:
Moss garden with Japanese Maples??? ;-) I knew that would happen!
Everybody thinks Oregon is GREEN. Only 1/2 is green, the western half.

Hey! Don't mess with my fantasies of a better life up north!!!

what did I find out?? Green, green, green, some mesquite trees and oaks
(what a surprise), rolling hills... Been here 3 weeks and we've had
thunder, lightening and rain several times.

It's been rainy allright, usually we're pretty brown this time of year.
There's still august though, and september. Cooling doesn't really start
until late october.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 29-07-2005, 02:39 PM
dt

Linda wrote:

Moss garden with Japanese Maples??? ;-) I knew that would happen!
Everybody thinks Oregon is GREEN. Only 1/2 is green, the western half.
The eastern half, where I was living, is hot, dry, sand, rocks, and
sagebrush. What trees you see most are locust and Russian Olive. The
little town I lived in was at 300 elevation. Tiny town right on the
Columbia River that divides Oregon from Washington. By the way, the
same story goes for Washington...it is not all green, only the western
half, and the eastern half is hot, dry, sagebrush and rocks. Portland,
Oregon, in western Oregon is absolutely lovely and green. Has
reputation of tons of rain, but the last few years every time I've been
there it has been gorgeous outside....

People are always surprised to find out their preconceived ideas about
the states are wrong. Guess what ideas I had about Texas??? Hot, (yep),
dry (not!!! humid!!!), sagebrush and cattle. Ha! So driving down here
what did I find out?? Green, green, green, some mesquite trees and oaks
(what a surprise), rolling hills... Been here 3 weeks and we've had
thunder, lightening and rain several times.

Dean Martin was in a western movie back in the '60s. One day he arrives
in Galveston, the next
day he's riding through what looks like Big Bend. Either the terrain on
the coast has changed a lot,
or that was one fast horse!

DT

http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 29-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Cindy

"Linda" wrote in message ...
Thanks, lady! Montana to Houston? Oregon to San Antonio? Is everybody
"going south"?

I have never heard of the books you mentioned. Up until I stopped
working this May, seems like all I ever did was work, eat, and sleep.
My yardwork suffered along with my health. What I had done was: I came
to have an extra copy of the Sunset Western Gardening book, so I bought
3 gigantic notebooks at an office supply store and completely dismantled
the book, put each page in one of those clear sheet protectors, and
reassembled same in the notebooks. Then I started cutting out pictures
of flowers and plants and slipping Them into more clear sheet protectors
and put that page where it belonged with the listing. Have done that
for a number of years, so I have a text entry and photos of tons of
plants. The whole project makes a wonderful reference setup....which is
good, because my memory isn't so hot any more!!

Linda,
I moved south for a man - my husband, who I met on Compuserve 10 years ago. How about you?
That sounds like a good idea. I have a rather large, messy pile of pages I've torn out of magazines for years. Need to do something with them.

Cindy

Old 30-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Linda

Old 30-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Red

In San Antonio and interested in gardening you might want to check out

http://www.gardeningvolunteers.org/
"Linda" wrote in message ...
Re "why" me? Health issues. Daughter is an officer in Air Force, has
been stationed here and loves it, so I figured "Why the heck not?" So
here I am...daughter just started a course in Detroit for Air Force,
following which she will be back in San Antonio for 2 weeks, then is
being stationed in Utah !!....but I'm staying put here ;-) I have been
here 3 weeks, but MY THINGS HAVE NOT ARRIVED YET and I am furious. It
is not like in the movies showing that when you pull up at your new home
the moving van arrives later that day...nah...they have my stuff
somewhere in Oregon and being the money-grubbing folks that they are,
they are waiting until they have more stuff to come this direction!! Do
you believe it? Nope, your stuff is not the only stuff in a moving van.
They wait till they can cram it full before heading your direction.
That also means there are plenty of opportunities for your stuff to get
left off somewhere else with other peoples' boxes...yeah, I sound
bitter, I know...;-)