Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

Default Pepper plants

Every year I buy pepper plants, put them in large pots and "window boxes"
with potting soil and enjoy the peppers. Bell peppers, jalapeno peppers,
and banana peppers. Last year the banana peppers didn't grow but the rest
did wonderfully. This year none of them are doing so well.

I was thinking about buying new soil, and trying again. I think DH planted
them in last years soil.

Any suggestions?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

--
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 AM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Kathleen wrote:
I was thinking about buying new soil, and trying again. I think DH planted
them in last years soil.

You should never replant in potting soil that's been used. It's been
drained of nutrients and it's no longer useful. Always pot using new soil.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Get your second half to build you a compost bin. Dump the old soil in that
and keep it turned and moist. Rotate your soil in and out of the bin
yearly. You won't have to buy any more soil after a couple of years.
--
Jonny

Old 04-06-2006, 01:43 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

I finally asked DH last night what he planted it in, and that's exactly what
he did!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen, off to find new potting soil
--
You never know how much you really believe anything
until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life or death to you.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:46 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

That's a wonderful idea! I bet the chickens would love it too. lol
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 04-06-2006, 06:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Steve Wertz wrote:
I added some:
http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/a14b1caec1613fcfdfd9849e67bb6eef
as a last ditch effort, and they're now doing terrific.

Well, fertilizing is key when growing vegetables. You started with poor
soil and didn't fertilize, so your plants didn't do anything. Suddenly,
you added much needed nutrients and they started growing. No surprises
there!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 05-06-2006, 01:32 AM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/even...cumentId/a14b1
caec1613fcfdfd9849e67bb6eef
as a last ditch effort, and they're now doing terrific.

Well, fertilizing is key when growing vegetables. You started with poor
soil and didn't fertilize, so your plants didn't do anything. Suddenly,
you added much needed nutrients and they started growing. No surprises
there!

But the weeds were doing just fine for 14 years in that same soil
(without the potting soil/Miracle Gro mixed in) ;-)

-sw

lol
I repotted with a similiar thing today - like you said, as a last ditch
effort.
I also had "the compost" talk with DH. Now let's see how cheaply I can come
up with a compost area.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 05-06-2006, 03:09 AM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Steve Wertz wrote:
But the weeds were doing just fine for 14 years in that same soil
(without the potting soil/Miracle Gro mixed in) ;-)

Weeds evolved over thousands of years to thrive in those particular
conditions. Peppers did not.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 05-06-2006, 06:35 AM posted to austin.gardening
Gae Xavier

Steve Wertz wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:34:49 -0500, Kathleen wrote:

Every year I buy pepper plants, put them in large pots and "window boxes"
with potting soil and enjoy the peppers. Bell peppers, jalapeno peppers,
and banana peppers. Last year the banana peppers didn't grow but the rest
did wonderfully. This year none of them are doing so well.

I was thinking about buying new soil, and trying again. I think DH planted
them in last years soil.

Any suggestions?

I know some of you will consider this blasphemy, but my peppers
wouldn't do anything this year. I used a mixture of 20% miracle
grow, 20% Hill Country Fare potting soil, and regular 'ol
untreated dirt that had only supported weeds for the last 14
years. The peppers just sat there for 3-4 weeks.

I added some:
http://www.scotts.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/a14b1caec1613fcfdfd9849e67bb6eef
as a last ditch effort, and they're now doing terrific.

-sw

I picked up 10 big bags of Natural Gardner turkey poop (they still owe
me 10 more, since I couldn't fit more than 10 at once in my truck). I
spread it all over the top of my veggie garden like mulch and in my
containers with fresh container soil and the ones who got the fixed up
mix with turkey poop, are popping peppers, tomatoes and eggplants all
over, but the other old containers without fresh mix are not do doing
anything.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 00:35:21 -0500, Gae Xavier wrote:

I picked up 10 big bags of Natural Gardner turkey poop (they still owe
me 10 more, since I couldn't fit more than 10 at once in my truck). I
spread it all over the top of my veggie garden like mulch and in my
containers with fresh container soil and the ones who got the fixed up
mix with turkey poop, are popping peppers, tomatoes and eggplants all
over, but the other old containers without fresh mix are not do doing
anything.

Soil in containers can be reused and more effectively if you add
compost to it, but the soil must be first removed, clumps broken up
and aerated by doing so. Mix in the amendments and replant and you'll
have more success.