Old 15-07-2006, 04:13 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default snakes in yard

On 14 Jul 2006 19:55:10 -0700, "Mike Reed"
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

I saw it as a metaphor and symptom of how people
totally disregard animals and their welfare.

There's room for all God's creatures... right next to the mashed
potatoes.

Mike

That's fine, but what snake have you eaten lately? I know you smiled,
but I'm a vegetarian and atheist.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

What happened to the snakes?
This has turned into a goddam deer thread.

Last rattler I had in the house got a facefull of .38 rat shot.
Killed a copperhead in the pool last Summer. He was coiled up in the
skimmer.
Come to think of it, every snake I have seen in six years of living out here
next to Camp Swift has been a timber rattler except for two copperheads.
And I have killed each and every one.

But it was a fiddleback spider killed my cat.

Cheers
H.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:55:01 -0500, "H. Adam Stevens"
wrote:

What happened to the snakes?
This has turned into a goddam deer thread.

Last rattler I had in the house got a facefull of .38 rat shot.
Killed a copperhead in the pool last Summer. He was coiled up in the
skimmer.
Come to think of it, every snake I have seen in six years of living out here
next to Camp Swift has been a timber rattler except for two copperheads.
And I have killed each and every one.

But it was a fiddleback spider killed my cat.

Cheers
H.

Aren't you just filled with joy.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:57 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"H. Adam Stevens" wrote:

What happened to the snakes?
This has turned into a goddam deer thread.

Last rattler I had in the house got a facefull of .38 rat shot.
Killed a copperhead in the pool last Summer. He was coiled up in the
skimmer.
Come to think of it, every snake I have seen in six years of living out here
next to Camp Swift has been a timber rattler except for two copperheads.
And I have killed each and every one.

But it was a fiddleback spider killed my cat.

Cheers
H.

Dust routinely, don't give them places to hide...

Condolences on the loss of your kitty. :-(

I normally spare spiders and don't kill them.
I make an exception for the Brown Recluse.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 10-08-2006, 06:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

What happened to the snakes?
This has turned into a goddam deer thread.

Last rattler I had in the house got a facefull of .38 rat shot.
Killed a copperhead in the pool last Summer. He was coiled up in the
skimmer.
Come to think of it, every snake I have seen in six years of living out here
next to Camp Swift has been a timber rattler except for two copperheads.
And I have killed each and every one.

But it was a fiddleback spider killed my cat.

Cheers
H.

Aren't you just filled with joy.

Don't be an ass...
Cats are family members.

As far as pit vipers go, I generally kill them too. There are way too
many beneficial, safe species around to spare them and with food
competition, you can encourage rat snakes etc. if you get rid of the
vipers.

Granted, it depends on my mood... I did capture one copperhead alive and
unharmed (after it'd bitten somebody's dog and I got a rescue call) and
I spared the last rattler I found in my back yard, but both snakes were
turned over to Wildlife Rescue Inc. (in Kendalia Texas) to be released
where they could not do any harm. I just did not feel like killing
anything those two days.

Come to think of it, the older I get, the less I want to kill anything.
sigh Guess that's part of life. I dunno.

I just hope those two snakes I spared never hurt anyone...
Sometimes I don't know how to feel.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 10-08-2006, 08:21 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:02:11 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

[...]

In case you don't have reading comprehension I am an animal rights
activist and believe they have every right to live as we do. YOU are
the person with the killing everything. Check back several weeks to
see clearly you kill.

Killing less is still killing, so I don't know what that has to do
with anything.

I have had pets since I was born. I've paid out about 5 thousand
dollars to give my cat two years more life. She needed radiation and
surgery.

Old 13-08-2006, 07:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"H. Adam Stevens" wrote:

[...]

One of the best things for spiders are those sticky boards.
And you get to watch them die.

The only snakes I have killed have been venomous and in or near the house.

The cat was feral. Came out of Camp Swift. Wonderful guy.

Little fella sure liked to eat rabbits.

Cheers
H.