Old 26-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
oldhickory

Default Speaking of Fire Ants...

Speaking of fire ants....we're getting ready to drop "over and out" on our
new lawn (moved recently) and have been fighting scorpions as well (new
construction) . I have heard that diatomaceous earth around the perimeter
of the home with deal a blow to scorpions other arachnids and insects and a
friend recently told me she uses DE to fight fireants.

Anyone here used/had success with DE for fireants? Seems like it would be
non-toxic solution if it does....

cheers!
ie

Old 26-06-2006, 10:49 PM posted to austin.gardening
TLR

Found this online:

Diatomaceous earth
Little crystals of silica are supposed to scratch the ant's cuticle so they
dehydrate and die. Indeed, if you take a colony of ants and shake them up in
bag with diatomaceous earth, about half die. But when you use it on ants
outside they usually find ways to avoid it so not many ants are killed. They
will not eat it in food and foraging ants do not track it into colonies
where it might kill the queen or young fire ants.

http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...-9-119,00.html

I wish DE worked! I swell up terribly from just one fire ant bite. I once
resembled Quasimodo, thanks to a fire ant that crawled off a shirt in a
clothes closet and bit me on the eyebrow.

Teri

Old 26-06-2006, 10:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

I recently (two weeks ago) used "Over and Out" on my fire ants. I
followed the instructions and it helped, but they are not all gone.
You can try nematodes. www.yardgeek.com is one place to get them.
We had this same discussion in another group, and I went searching for
a nematode source. It says right on one of the sites that sell them
that they will not work on fire ants, but another gal didn't read all
the instructions before buying the nematodes. She put them on, and so
far they appear to have killed off her fire ants. Worth a try.

Cindy

Old 28-06-2006, 07:50 PM posted to austin.gardening
oldhickory

Ouch--yes, I can relate... I swell up too...been to the ER twice with hives
from only one sting....not fun. That's why I'm freaking over the scorpions
'cause I'm guessing I'm probably just as allergic to them....or more-so.

I'll stick to the "over and out" for now...and maybe some nematodes--I saw
some at Home Depot a couple of months ago (as well as lady bugs and praying
mantis) maybe I'll check there and see.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the boiling water down the mound thing
and all that did was kill the grass. I suppose gasoline and a match is
going to be equally effective.... ;-)

I REALLY hate to use nasty chemicals but I think anyone with severe
reactions like us is justified.

Thanks again!
ie

Old 28-06-2006, 07:55 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"oldhickory" wrote:

I REALLY hate to use nasty chemicals but I think anyone with severe
reactions like us is justified.

There is always "Logic".
If you can find it.

It does work, just takes for frickin' ever.

As far as I know, Amdro is not really that bad of a bait.
Nobody else eats it.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 28-06-2006, 08:40 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:50:47 GMT, "oldhickory"
wrote:

Ouch--yes, I can relate... I swell up too...been to the ER twice with hives
from only one sting....not fun. That's why I'm freaking over the scorpions
'cause I'm guessing I'm probably just as allergic to them....or more-so.

I'll stick to the "over and out" for now...and maybe some nematodes--I saw
some at Home Depot a couple of months ago (as well as lady bugs and praying
mantis) maybe I'll check there and see.

If you use Over and Out it will kill the nematodes.

Thanks for the responses. I tried the boiling water down the mound thing
and all that did was kill the grass. I suppose gasoline and a match is
going to be equally effective.... ;-)

I REALLY hate to use nasty chemicals but I think anyone with severe
reactions like us is justified.

Thanks again!
ie

. ..

Old 28-06-2006, 11:26 PM posted to austin.gardening
Elliot Richmond

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:55:50 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

As far as I know, Amdro is not really that bad of a bait.
Nobody else eats it.

Well.... What happens is, the fire ants are such aggressive foragers
that they get to the bait before any other ants can get to it. They
tote it back to the mound and move it underground where it eventually
gets to and kills the queen. Even in the multiple queen mounds, Amdro
will get 'em all if it is broadcast widely. When the queen dies, the
mound eventually dies. Individual worker ants only live a few days.

The other advantage of Amdro is that it breaks down quickly in the
open to harmless substances. It also breaks down quickly when it gets
wet.

Because of these restrictions, it is best to broadcast amdro when the
ants are active. They are not active at night or when it is too hot.
The last few mornings here in Austin have been ideal for spreading
amdro.

The technique I use it to treat each mound and also broadcast. Do not
put the Amdro on the mound, because the ants will not take it. They
are not programmed to recognize something placed on the mound as food.
Instead, scatter a ring of Amdro around the mound a foot or so away. I
recall one time when I started dribbling the Amdro granules around a
mound. Before I finished the ring, the ants were already taking
granules back to the mound.

When I broadcast, I also try to get the neighbors to let me do their
ye=ards at the same time. Ideal would be to get the whole block to
treat at the same time.

Elliot Richmond
Itinerant astronomy teacher
Old 29-06-2006, 05:04 AM posted to austin.gardening
oldhickory

Ah! Thanks, I'll have to make a careful plan, then.

Yikes....nothing's easy, is it?

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 29-06-2006, 01:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Actually, just go buy a tub of Amdro. Things couldn't get any easier
than that.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 04:04:43 GMT, "oldhickory"
wrote:

Ah! Thanks, I'll have to make a careful plan, then.

Yikes....nothing's easy, is it?

.. .

Old 29-06-2006, 02:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

[...]

lol I've done that too!
i'll treat every yard around me as if I don't, I have new mounds in no
time flat!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 29-06-2006, 02:43 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

I concur!
I have excellent success with it.

Old 29-06-2006, 08:24 PM posted to austin.gardening
Happybattles

There's actually a group for this sort of thing, with professionals and
non-professionals posting:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...l?lnk=li&hl=en

Old 29-06-2006, 10:10 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt

Happybattles wrote:

There's actually a group for this sort of thing, with professionals and
non-professionals posting:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...l?lnk=li&hl=en

....and not a word about fire ants in the last
eight months...

Dt
Old 30-06-2006, 03:36 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub wrote, On 6/29/2006 7:39 AM:
Actually, just go buy a tub of Amdro. Things couldn't get any easier
than that.

I agree. I used Over and Out a few weeks ago, and it didn't get rid of
all the ants.