Old 22-08-2006, 03:41 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Retaining wall

Yard in front of house has a downward slope away from the house. It
averages about 1" per foot, more slope as it goes away from the house. The
fence is about 30' away from the house. I do not want the lawn down to the
fence. Decided on a retaining wall about 20' away from the house in front
allowing about 1/4" per foot slope away from the house.
I've used up all the surface limestone rocks on my property for other
things. Too hot for a rock bar to dig up more. Looking for some flat type
rock I can mortar up and lay for a retaining wall. Need about 60' length
retaining wall.
Where do I get such stone?
Do I have to pour concrete as a base for this wall?
--
Jonny

Old 22-08-2006, 03:18 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article k.net,
"Jonny" wrote:

Yard in front of house has a downward slope away from the house. It
averages about 1" per foot, more slope as it goes away from the house. The
fence is about 30' away from the house. I do not want the lawn down to the
fence. Decided on a retaining wall about 20' away from the house in front
allowing about 1/4" per foot slope away from the house.
I've used up all the surface limestone rocks on my property for other
things. Too hot for a rock bar to dig up more. Looking for some flat type
rock I can mortar up and lay for a retaining wall. Need about 60' length
retaining wall.
Where do I get such stone?

There are plenty of Masonry suppliers in the area. :-)
Can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head, but I
bought my stone in New Braunfels and had it delivered.

Digging my own would have been _far_ cheaper. Can you wait 'till cooler
fall weather to dig your own?

Do I have to pour concrete as a base for this wall?

From what I've read, a 6" "footer" is recommended.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 22-08-2006, 03:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 02:41:34 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

Yard in front of house has a downward slope away from the house. It
averages about 1" per foot, more slope as it goes away from the house. The
fence is about 30' away from the house. I do not want the lawn down to the
fence. Decided on a retaining wall about 20' away from the house in front
allowing about 1/4" per foot slope away from the house.
I've used up all the surface limestone rocks on my property for other
things. Too hot for a rock bar to dig up more. Looking for some flat type
rock I can mortar up and lay for a retaining wall. Need about 60' length
retaining wall.
Where do I get such stone?
Do I have to pour concrete as a base for this wall?

The material you may want to look at is limestone dry stack. The
stones are natural on the side, but flat on bottom and top. Call
around to the rock yards in the area. I know there are a few in Round
Rock.
Old 23-08-2006, 02:47 AM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
Yard in front of house has a downward slope away from the house. It
averages about 1" per foot, more slope as it goes away from the house. The
fence is about 30' away from the house. I do not want the lawn down to the
fence. Decided on a retaining wall about 20' away from the house in front
allowing about 1/4" per foot slope away from the house.
I've used up all the surface limestone rocks on my property for other
things. Too hot for a rock bar to dig up more. Looking for some flat type
rock I can mortar up and lay for a retaining wall. Need about 60' length
retaining wall.
Where do I get such stone?
Do I have to pour concrete as a base for this wall?

Daniel Stone Supply would have it if you out southwest or anywhere near.
If you're buying a whole truckload (12 tons or so) you can make a deal
with some of the quarries and save some money. I'm sure stone prices
are up along with diesel fuel.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 23-08-2006, 03:07 AM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article k.net,
"Jonny" wrote:

[...]

From what I've read, a 6" "footer" is recommended.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

It'll wait till it get cooler, (if it does.... No point now as grass
isn't gonna grow very well again until next spring. Problem in my digs is
the stone may be big as house. Don't know until I dig around the potential
rock. Many are 2 and 3 foot long, one foot thick or more. Some are
inadequate in size. Most would be suitable for the retaining wall if not so
thick, plus they aren't of consistent thickness dimensions. Am sure they
won't move once placed. Stone masonary is one area I've not researched or
tried.

Pray for a hurricane, we need at least that much rain.
--
Jonny

Old 23-08-2006, 03:10 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
Jonny wrote:
[...]

Google don't ring no bells on "Daniel Stone Supply". Wimberley is as
southwest as one can get in the region.
--
Jonny

Old 23-08-2006, 04:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Jonny" wrote:

[...]

From what I've read, a 6" "footer" is recommended.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

It'll wait till it get cooler, (if it does.... No point now as grass
isn't gonna grow very well again until next spring. Problem in my digs is
the stone may be big as house. Don't know until I dig around the potential
rock. Many are 2 and 3 foot long, one foot thick or more. Some are
inadequate in size. Most would be suitable for the retaining wall if not so
thick, plus they aren't of consistent thickness dimensions. Am sure they
won't move once placed. Stone masonary is one area I've not researched or
tried.

Ditto here, but it's not hard to find...
And some people are grateful to have rocks removed from their property.

Pray for a hurricane, we need at least that much rain.

No kidding. :-(

So much for this year being bad for hurricanes!

Yeah right. ;-)
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 23-08-2006, 06:03 PM posted to austin.gardening

Google don't ring no bells on "Daniel Stone Supply". Wimberley is as
southwest as one can get in the region.

You're being too literal. Google for:
"daniel stone" austin

It's on Hwy 290 in Cedar Valley. That's at the Travis/Hays County line. I
think there are 2 stone suppliers there and several more not far away.

j jhnsn

Old 23-08-2006, 06:42 PM posted to austin.gardening

I have a paperback "Building Stone Walls" by John Vivian which I really
like. It is more about dry stack walls than about retaining walls, so you
may want an auxiliary reference. I like the general style and philosophy of
"Building Stone Walls". Since you utilize the natural stone on your
property, you might like it also. I think I got my copy at "The Natural
Gardener", but is is available at Amazon also:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088...e=UTF8&s=books

j jhnsn

Old 23-08-2006, 07:39 PM posted to austin.gardening

* OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote, On 8/23/2006 10:02 AM:

Pray for a hurricane, we need at least that much rain.

No kidding. :-(

So much for this year being bad for hurricanes!

Yeah right. ;-)

Geez, don't wish 'em on us just because you're not in the firing line...!

Old 23-08-2006, 07:57 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Cindy wrote:

* OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote, On 8/23/2006 10:02 AM:

Pray for a hurricane, we need at least that much rain.

No kidding. :-(

So much for this year being bad for hurricanes!

Yeah right. ;-)

Geez, don't wish 'em on us just because you're not in the firing line...!

So sorry!
One man's blessing and all that...

Seriously, I just wish there was a middle ground. sigh No hurricanes,
we get drought!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 23-08-2006, 11:26 PM posted to austin.gardening

Jonny wrote:
Google don't ring no bells on "Daniel Stone Supply". Wimberley is as
southwest as one can get in the region.

Try www.danielstoneandlandscaping.com

I looked it up in the yellow pages

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Old 24-08-2006, 07:31 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Cindy" wrote in message
news
* OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote, On 8/23/2006 10:02 AM:

Pray for a hurricane, we need at least that much rain.

No kidding. :-(

So much for this year being bad for hurricanes!

Yeah right. ;-)

Geez, don't wish 'em on us just because you're not in the firing line...!

You're right of course. And, of course, this is one of the few solutions
for a quick fix to our lack of water problem. The other happened a few
years ago (July, 2001?), when the multi-day deluge overflowed all the local
major rivers in the region. A long term solution, weatherwise, I don't see
happening.

My concern at this point is drinking water, not irrigation for pretty plants
and lawns. Not only for myself, but the rest of the Central Texas area.
The drought may end next week, or extend itself through winter or more.
Latter is not a pretty thought. The last major drought was in 1954. The
difference is the amount of water, due to human population increase, being
drawn from wells, aquifers, and surface water sources. Another difference,
regarding weather, is the high pressure cells just sitting over the region,
preventing rainfall. I've seen no year to year history on this by the
weather service. I don't believe this is an oversight, but a denial by
muting. Politically motivated. See the climate changes cyclical vs. carbon
gas induced (global warming) debate. The weather service is a U.S. owned
service of the U.S. government.

BTW saw, as usual, the local high school football field being sprinkled at
3:30 p.m here in Wimberley again. My lawn is almost entirely dormant due to
lack of irrigation, live just outside Wimberley proper. A wealthy landowner
had been pumping well water into a sizable pond to keep some water in it, no
visible reason, no horses/cattle are on this property. Am sure there's
similar happening in Austin in surrounding areas. Right now, its not
sustainable.

Any reports regarding local high school and their sports fields, and their
watering times is appreciated. I reported on this past January, and got
flak for local football fields are the exception blah, blah, blah as TX
loves football at this group. Guess what? The football players don't care
about the grass, they just want to play football.

This water problem may end tomorrow. And, as usual, the general population
will continue to use water prolifically, breed and make more water users.
The continued overbreeding is just as bad as wishing the hurricanes. Both
cause death and suffering, as in the long run, its not sustainable. The
difference being, the amount of humans is controllable, the weather is not.
But, what we do to the climate is controllable. Both, from the population
size standpoint, and energy usage from carbon gas creating electrical
plants, and the choices made day to day for energy usage deriving electrical
energy from those plants. All of which affect the weather in the long term.

Sadly, we as nation may not be able to positively affect the climate.
Reason? U.S. gave and supported China for economic reasons. (translation:
corporate greed) China is building many coal fired electric plants, and
rapidly increasing for demand reasons.

All this is depressing etc., I admit. But emmotional perception doesn't
change a thing, it still exists. Ignoring for emmotional welfare
proliferates the problem in many ways.

Hurricance Katrina hurt alot of people. These people chose, knowingly or
unknowingly. to live in an area that is sinking or just below sea level as
that's where their parents or whatever lived. If you've received the
knowledge, and continue to live in the area, and expect others to help you,
not smart. I can't believe that the majority who choose to stay there don't
know this. MS area is similar, almost a flood plain as the land rises very
slowly from the sea. Rita was different, but, there are many exceptions
similar to those noted above.

Then, there's the "non-existent" global warming. The ice at the poles and
Greenland northern areas may melt, causing the sea level to increase by 30
ft or more, not taking into consideration thermal expansion of the oceans
increasing the sea level even more. If you've taken a drive around the East
Coast and Gulf Coast and paid attention to the homes and businesses, you
would see the potential for major loss of these and human life.

You're right, we shouldn't pray or wish for weather calamities to increase
our fresh water supply as others may get hurt or killed. We should continue
to live as usual, and kill our future.
--
Jonny

Old 24-08-2006, 07:34 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
.net...
Jonny wrote:
Google don't ring no bells on "Daniel Stone Supply". Wimberley is as
southwest as one can get in the region.

Try www.danielstoneandlandscaping.com

I looked it up in the yellow pages

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Thanks.

Google ain't all what it should be regarding the input provided.
--
Jonny

Old 24-08-2006, 08:23 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Jonny" wrote:
Google ain't all what it should be regarding the input provided.

When I Googled for
"daniel stone" austin
It not only popped up the address, but also a map showing the location.
That is pretty amazing, in my opinion.

j jhnsn