Old 19-10-2006, 10:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Will anoles eat scorpions?

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

Om,

You might want to take another look at the sidebar of the Wikipedia link you
cited.

Insects - including "true" bugs (insecta), spiders and scorpions (arachnida)
and crabs (crustacea) are all arthropods.

Of course some folks consider anything creepy-crawly to be a "bug." (that's
an annelid, you fool!)
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Picky picky picky!!!

To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

It all depends on personal definitions.

Scorpions sure as hell are not crustaceans/crabs!

Even tho' crustaceans are arthropods. G

Duh.

The OP did not seem to realize that crustaceans/crabs were
arthropods/bugs.

But scorpions are only very distantly related to crabs.

Pill/sow bugs otoh.......
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Old 19-10-2006, 10:08 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Cindy wrote:

But when it comes down TO it, scorpions are just gross! I like snakes,
spiders
are cool, most critters are at least interesting, but scorpions for me are
one
of those repulsive creatures that just have no reason for being. A purely
personal reaction (phobia?) and one I don't need a lecture on.

Cindy

I'm ok with that... G

I have kept snakes and spiders (and scorpions) as pets.

Scorpions are most closely related to spiders....... and have some
interesting behaviors. Don't reject them until you've tried them? ;-)

Personally, I have a phobia to ants and mosquitos. I kill those every
time I have a chance! Especially FIRE ANTS!!!!!!!!

Old 19-10-2006, 10:09 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:15:48 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ain,
Dave-tx wrote:

Just curious - do anoles eat scorpions, or do they avoid stingy-type
insects in favor of easier prey?

-Dave

Anoles will eat anything that moves...

including each other. ;-)

Not true.

(ahem)

I have personally WITNESSED anoles eating each other!!!!!!!!

Old 19-10-2006, 11:11 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:50:06 +0000, RobH wrote:

I have seen one eat a yellow jacket.

I lost an entire suit coat to moths once . . .
Old 20-10-2006, 01:10 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:06:19 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

And you would be wrong.

Old 20-10-2006, 01:11 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:09:04 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

(ahem)

I have personally WITNESSED anoles eating each other!!!!!!!!

You also think all arthropods are bugs.
Old 20-10-2006, 05:20 AM posted to austin.gardening

* God Bless Texas wrote, On 10/19/2006 5:11 PM:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:50:06 +0000, RobH wrote:

I have seen one eat a yellow jacket.

I lost an entire suit coat to moths once . . .

LOL
I'd be humiliated to admit how many times I read that before I GOT it...
snicker
Cindy
Old 20-10-2006, 12:24 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Dave-tx" wrote in message
ldomain...
Just curious - do anoles eat scorpions, or do they avoid stingy-type
insects in favor of easier prey?

-Dave

Did find this. Hearsay. See "Code Monkey".
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/arch...hp/t-1270.html

Spider eating an anole with picture.
http://whatsthatbug.com/food_chain.html

--
Jonny

Old 20-10-2006, 12:55 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:24:47 GMT, Jonny wrote:
"Dave-tx" wrote in message
ldomain...
Just curious - do anoles eat scorpions, or do they avoid stingy-type
insects in favor of easier prey?

-Dave

Did find this. Hearsay. See "Code Monkey".
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/arch...hp/t-1270.html

Spider eating an anole with picture.
http://whatsthatbug.com/food_chain.html

Yeah, I had seen those as well. I think the scorpion mentioned in the former
link is a much larger critter than the little brown things we've got running
around here.

-Dave
Old 20-10-2006, 02:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

And you would be wrong.

Arthropoda is a Phyllum.

It means "jointed legs".

Which bugs are NOT arthropods?

Old 20-10-2006, 02:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

(ahem)

I have personally WITNESSED anoles eating each other!!!!!!!!

You also think all arthropods are bugs.

Killfile time..... G

I said all bugs were arthropods.

You got it ass backwards.

Old 20-10-2006, 04:13 PM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news

wrote:

To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

And you would be wrong.

Arthropoda is a Phyllum.

It means "jointed legs".

Which bugs are NOT arthropods?

Well... annelids, as I mentioned - most common as earthworms. Mollusca -
snails and slugs. The imported "land planarian" discussed here a while back
is a platyhelminthe - a flatworm. Some might consider newts to be creepy
crawly slimy and "buglike" - chordata. Nematodes have a phylum of their
own - nematoda. Velvet worms are onchyophorae and I've seen them in Mexico
but I don't think Austin is tropical enough for them.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Old 20-10-2006, 05:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

And you would be wrong.

Arthropoda is a Phyllum.

It means "jointed legs".

Which bugs are NOT arthropods?

Well... annelids, as I mentioned - most common as earthworms. Mollusca -
snails and slugs. The imported "land planarian" discussed here a while back
is a platyhelminthe - a flatworm. Some might consider newts to be creepy
crawly slimy and "buglike" - chordata. Nematodes have a phylum of their
own - nematoda. Velvet worms are onchyophorae and I've seen them in Mexico
but I don't think Austin is tropical enough for them.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Annelids, mollusks and Helminthes are not in the Phylum Arthropoda...
They are in a different classification.

Mollusca is a separate phylum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_mollusca

So is Phylum Annelida:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annelida

And Phylum Platyhelmenthes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_platyhelminthes

And Phylum Nematoda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_nematoda

And Phylum Chordata is most certainly NO relation to Arthropods!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_chordata

I'd strongly suggest you take a zoology course.....

;-)

Phyllum Arthropoda are all bugs.
Jointed legged insects and their relatives. Crustaceans etc.

Phyllum is only one step below Kingdom.
It's a pretty broad class of critters and not one of the creatures you
mentioned. Velvet worms are also not arthropods. They are in their own
Phylum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_arthropoda

Scorpions are most certainly an Arthropod!!!
They are related to spiders in Class Arachnida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnid

Which are in the phylum Arthropoda (arthropods)

I've no idea why you are trying to call those other creatures "bugs".

Old 20-10-2006, 06:35 PM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
I've no idea why you are trying to call those other creatures "bugs".

Um, because *you* were extending the Linnean definition of a "bug" - that is
to say:

Animalia Arthropoda Insecta Hemiptera Prosorrynchia

To other arthropods which are not "bugs" except in the colloqial or
vernacular sense - and I quote:

"Scorpions _are_ "bugs"!"

"To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

It all depends on personal definitions."

You then asked Jangchub to provide examples of "bugs" that were not
arthropods. Since by the Linnean definition a "bug" can be nothing else, I
assumed that you meant "bug" in a colloqual sense meaning "creepy crawly
critter" and took the liberty of responding with examples that were *not* in
the phylum Arthropoda but which might be colloqually considered "bugs." Er,
all depending on personal definitions, of course. G

And at least to me, you seem to be trying to argue both sides of the "bug =
strict Linnean definition" vs "bug = anything creepy-crawly" debate,
depending on which offers the most opportunity for contention at the moment.
The only reason I'm responding at all is because in general I enjoy your
posts.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Old 20-10-2006, 06:43 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

I've no idea why you are trying to call those other creatures "bugs".

Um, because *you* were extending the Linnean definition of a "bug" - that is
to say:

To answer the OP's question, yes, anoles will eat scorpions.

And Anoles will also eat each other. I've seen it, and rescued the
"swallowee".
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Anoles, where did they go? B.Server Texas 5 04-07-2005 12:44 PM
scorpions? Phil L United Kingdom 52 29-07-2004 01:41 AM
scorpions in Sheerness Yakman United Kingdom 42 28-07-2004 07:04 PM
Scorpions in Austin suburbs? Dave Riggleman Texas 8 05-05-2003 11:08 PM
Anoles/Geckos in the Greenhouse - Follow Up Gene Schurg Orchids 5 15-02-2003 07:03 AM