Old 29-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Red

Default Armadillo problems

I noticed the other day someone mentioned trapping Armadillo. I would like to do that and relocate them to some other area. I have a couple Havahart traps but can't seem to get them to cooperate. Any ideas on what to use for bait. I have tried rotten fruit, old pieces of meat, and cat food as suggested on the Havahart web site. Also used a couple of boards to create a "funnel" effect. A couple weeks ago I put out some beneficial nematodes to take care of the grubs. All with no success. I can live with them in the grass but they are totally destroying the beds especially the newly established ones.
Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Please post in plain text only.
Thanks!

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 29-05-2003, 06:20 PM
John T. Jarrett

Shoot, the ones around here you can creep up to within a foot or two...just drop the trap right over it! And if you scare it bad enough, it will jump UP into the trap which might actually be helpful.

John
Old 29-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Red

I can't shoot them here within the city limits plus I have only seen the
beast a couple times and when I went out the took off with considerable
speed. Most of the damage occurs late at night or wee hours of the morning.
Thanks anyway.

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
Shoot, the ones around here you can creep up to within a foot or two...just
drop the trap right over it! And if you scare it bad enough, it will jump UP
into the trap which might actually be helpful.

John
y.com...

Old 29-05-2003, 10:20 PM
animaux

On Thu, 29 May 2003 18:44:58 GMT, "Red" wrote:

I can't shoot them here within the city limits plus I have only seen the
beast a couple times and when I went out the took off with considerable
speed. Most of the damage occurs late at night or wee hours of the morning.
Thanks anyway.

Nobody said to shoot. He said;

Shoot, the ones around here you can creep up to within a foot or two...just drop
the trap right over it! And if you scare it bad enough, it will jump UP into the
trap which might actually be helpful.

The comma after shoot should splain.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Charles Dunn

Please get yourself a newsreader that is html aware and quit bugging
people about using modern technology.

Chuck Dunn

Old 30-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Fri, 30 May 2003 10:01:05 -0500, Charles Dunn
wrote:

Please get yourself a newsreader that is html aware and quit bugging
people about using modern technology.

I have a news reader that is HTML aware. I, and most others who post
to Usenet, still prefer plain text. It is the standard. Of course,
flaming people who disagree is also the standard.

Cheers

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 30-05-2003, 04:32 PM
cat daddy

"Charles Dunn" wrote in message
Please get yourself a newsreader that is html aware and quit bugging
people about using modern technology.

With few exceptions, Usenet is a plain text medium. Although Texas.net
does not address HTML posts in your user agreement, many services do and
discourage its use. Perhaps you can email for
clarification on their policies.

Chuck Dunn

Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
animaux

On Fri, 30 May 2003 15:13:33 GMT, Elliot Richmond
wrote:

I have a news reader that is HTML aware. I, and most others who post
to Usenet, still prefer plain text. It is the standard. Of course,
flaming people who disagree is also the standard.

Cheers

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

I'm with you. Messages in HTML are usually nothing I look at.
Old 30-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Victor M. Martinez

"Charles Dunn" wrote in message
Please get yourself a newsreader that is html aware and quit bugging
people about using modern technology.

Please go learn usenet netiquette before posting. USENET is a text-only
medium, whether you like it or not.

Old 30-05-2003, 08:34 PM
God Bless Texas

Since the Texans scored their last touchdown, Elliot Richmond saw fit to
opine:

wrote:

Please get yourself a newsreader that is html aware and quit bugging
people about using modern technology.

I have a news reader that is HTML aware. I, and most others who post
to Usenet, still prefer plain text. It is the standard. Of course,
flaming people who disagree is also the standard.

I disagree, you compost starter.

Cheers

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor

--
All Chat no Cattle
Old 31-05-2003, 01:32 AM
animaux

It seems we have at least one plonk per week on this little newsgroup. Ah, the
beat goes on!

Old 31-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Terry Horton

On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:54:58 +0000 (UTC),
(Victor M. Martinez) wrote:

Please post in plain text only.
Thanks!

And with a hard CR or three... :-)
Old 31-05-2003, 08:20 AM
John

How did this Armadillo post turn into a netiquette thread???

I posted the Armadillo question about a week ago.
Thanks to those who e-mailed me with their suggestions.
I feel obligated to give some back.

I did some digging around myself. (Pun intended)
Biologists seemed to think they are not particularly pests, of course.
They also suggested using worms in stocking as bait.
This way, you can attract Armadillos with the sweet scent of worms without
allowing worms to escape. I haven't tried it, but it came from an
university web site. It also said Armadillos are NOT territorial. They
move around. I haven't seen my guests for several days.
The expert said trapping is only a very temporary solution, as other
Armadillos may move in to the vacancy. The only known permanent solution is
to have a physical barrier (fence) that go at least a foot INTO the ground.
Good luck.

y.com...

Old 31-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Red

Thanks, I was glad to see this get back on subject. I may try the worms.
Tried some raw fish last night and had them go all around but not into the
trap. This is the first year I have had the problem so may be more related
to the dry weather than anything else.

"John" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"Red" wrote in message
y.com...
I noticed the other day someone mentioned trapping Armadillo. I would

like
to do that and relocate them to some other area. I have a couple Havahart
traps but can't seem to get them to cooperate. Any ideas on what to use

for
bait. I have tried rotten fruit, old pieces of meat, and cat food as
suggested on the Havahart web site. Also used a couple of boards to

create
a "funnel" effect. A couple weeks ago I put out some beneficial nematodes

take care of the grubs. All with no success. I can live with them in the
grass but they are totally destroying the beds especially the newly
established ones.

Armadillo Advice Sought unklbob United Kingdom 28 10-09-2008 04:32 AM
armadillo? deepeddygirl Texas 16 27-10-2004 12:37 AM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Houseplant problems... John Doe Gardening 15 23-02-2003 04:15 AM
Paph problems Jbkkhawk Orchids 28 30-01-2003 11:49 PM