Old 23-01-2004, 09:12 PM
animaux

Default Recommended fruit tree list for this area

Apples – Anna, Dorrsett, Ein Shemer, Mollies and Gala
Apricot – Blenheim and Royal
Fig – Celeste, Brown Turkey and Everbearing
Pecan – Choctan, Kiowa, Pawnee, and Desireable
Asian Pear – Chojuro and Shinro. Four-in-one.
Pears – Moonglo, Leconte, Orient, Warran and Kiefer. Four-in-one,
Three-in-one.
Peaches – Rio Grande, Junegold, La Feliciana, Harvest, Red Globe, Dixieland,
Saturn, Loring
Grapes – Black Spanish, Lomanto, Perlette, Seibel, and Champanel
Plums – Methly and Ozark
Jujube – Lang and Li
Persimmon – Fuyu, Hachiya, and Tanenashi
Pomegranate – Grenada and Wonderful
Blackberry – Roseborough, Brazos, Kiowa, Navaho, Cherokee, and Black Satin
Raspberry – Heritage Red
Artichoke – Improved Green Globe
Asparagus – U.C. 72
Rhubarb – Victoria Cherry
Strawberry – Chandler and Sequoia

This came to me in my Natural Gardener newsletter. I have grown 'Dixieland'
peaches and can say, without any shadow of doubt, these are the best peaches
I've grown to date.

The skins are thinner than most other home grown peaches, and the flesh is a
beautiful golden color. They literally drip when you eat them off the tree. I
recommend leaving them on as long as possible and till the skin is golden on the
outside. A peach is ripe not when it get red, but when the yellow skin turns a
golden color. Of course, squirrels must take one bite of each peach, but that's
the way it goes. I am going to plant another so the critters can have some more
if they want.

Old 23-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
Peaches – Rio Grande, Junegold, La Feliciana, Harvest, Red Globe, Dixieland,

Add Red Baron to that list. NOt only extremely beautiful double blooms,
but also delicious fruit.

golden color. Of course, squirrels must take one bite of each peach, but that's
the way it goes. I am going to plant another so the critters can have some more
if they want.

We are going to try using a motion detector-activated sprinkler head to
keep the critters away. Last year they ate 2/3 of the crop. They're my
peaches!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 23-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Tyler Hopper

"animaux" wrote in message
Apples - Anna, Dorrsett, Ein Shemer, Mollies and Gala
Apricot - Blenheim and Royal
Fig - Celeste, Brown Turkey and Everbearing

V, would most of these varieties also be okay for San Antonio?

Tyler

Old 23-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Victor Martinez

Tyler Hopper wrote:
V, would most of these varieties also be okay for San Antonio?

I'd be surprised. Apples are marginal here in Austin, we gave up on ours
after 3 years of no fruit.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 24-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Greg C

Not enough cold, eh?

Ours has never even lost all of its leaves yet.

Greg C

Old 24-01-2004, 03:16 AM
animaux

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:04:25 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

animaux wrote:
Peaches – Rio Grande, Junegold, La Feliciana, Harvest, Red Globe, Dixieland,

Add Red Baron to that list. NOt only extremely beautiful double blooms,
but also delicious fruit.

Hmmm, how early and how many chill hours? Dixieland is 400 chill hours. I
don't know that we got that this year, but one would hope.

We are going to try using a motion detector-activated sprinkler head to
keep the critters away. Last year they ate 2/3 of the crop. They're my
peaches!

Fortunately, I am not inundated. We have one female squirrel who nests in the
live oak. She's here all the time. I feed her corn and whatever else she
wants. I can handle one. If there were more than that, it would be some kind
of war! MY PEACHES MINE! But, with only the two of us, we had a bushel of
peaches from one tree...and I'm the only one in the house of 2 who eats them.

Old 24-01-2004, 03:17 AM
animaux

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:54:58 GMT, "Tyler Hopper" opined:

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Apples - Anna, Dorrsett, Ein Shemer, Mollies and Gala
Apricot - Blenheim and Royal
Fig - Celeste, Brown Turkey and Everbearing

V, would most of these varieties also be okay for San Antonio?

Tyler

That I don't know. You are a full USDA AG Zone higher than we are. I'm not
sure about apples of any kind down there, but you can go to the A&M website and
search on their recommendations for your region of Texas.

Old 24-01-2004, 03:18 AM
animaux

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:03:33 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Tyler Hopper wrote:
V, would most of these varieties also be okay for San Antonio?

I'd be surprised. Apples are marginal here in Austin, we gave up on ours
after 3 years of no fruit.

Oh they take at least five years before you see one apple. Then, you will
probably get about 10 that first year, after five years of nothing. The
following year, year 6, you will start to get a nice crop. However, they are
very difficult trees to keep watered in summer...I find. I lost one this past
year. My neighbor has one so the Mollies Delicious out back may still be okay
when the time comes.

Old 24-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
Hmmm, how early and how many chill hours? Dixieland is 400 chill hours. I
don't know that we got that this year, but one would hope.

One site I found says 600 hours.

of war! MY PEACHES MINE! But, with only the two of us, we had a bushel of
peaches from one tree...and I'm the only one in the house of 2 who eats them.

Our problem is not squirrels, but racoons.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 25-01-2004, 02:04 AM
animaux

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 03:22:40 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

Our problem is not squirrels, but racoons.

Is there something the raccoons like better than peaches? I'd plant that. On
the other hand, if I lived in the city, which I believe you do (?) it would be
difficult to accommodate everything.

I am going to try that peach you suggested. It's kind of iffy on the chill
hours. With 400 chrs. I'm pretty sure we'll get some peaches every year.
Higher and the probability goes down.

Subject change:

We acquired another 55+ aquarium. It's going in the library. My husband wanted
angels, but I think they are brutal, even among one another. We want colorful,
or silver. So many beautiful tetras, I think we'll stock this smaller tank with
one species.

Old 25-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Victor Martinez

animaux wrote:
hours. With 400 chrs. I'm pretty sure we'll get some peaches every year.
Higher and the probability goes down.

We had lots of fruits the first year, but they all died a few weeks
after dropping the blooms. Last year we had a lot of fruit. We're hoping
for a bumper crop this year. All we've read about this variety seems to
indicate it's great for the southern states.

We acquired another 55+ aquarium. It's going in the library. My husband wanted
angels, but I think they are brutal, even among one another. We want colorful,
or silver. So many beautiful tetras, I think we'll stock this smaller tank with
one species.

May I recommend rainbowfish? Extremely beautiful fish and very hardy.
http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm
You can get them online at aquabid.com, or buy them at Aquatek. Let me
know if you need plants, I'm constantly trimming our tank.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 26-01-2004, 02:03 PM
animaux

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:22:52 GMT, Victor Martinez opined:

We had lots of fruits the first year, but they all died a few weeks
after dropping the blooms. Last year we had a lot of fruit. We're hoping
for a bumper crop this year. All we've read about this variety seems to
indicate it's great for the southern states.

This coming week seems we will have nice lows at night. Not freezing, but 45 or
below. I hope to have much fruit this year. I did (with angst) thin the fruit
last spring and I am so glad I did. I have big, giant peaches.

We acquired another 55+ aquarium. It's going in the library. My husband wanted
angels, but I think they are brutal, even among one another. We want colorful,
or silver. So many beautiful tetras, I think we'll stock this smaller tank with
one species.

May I recommend rainbowfish? Extremely beautiful fish and very hardy.
http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Contents.htm
You can get them online at aquabid.com, or buy them at Aquatek. Let me
know if you need plants, I'm constantly trimming our tank.

Yes, I will show the site to Mark. We like hardy. I will say that since we
started using rainwater for the regular changes, the tank we have now is doing
marvelously. I don't know if I said it in this newsgroup, but several months
ago we saw a tiny baby. Then we didn't see it any more. I thought it was dead.
About a week or so ago my husband spotted this teeney miniature lemon tetra! We
have three lemons, so one must have lay some eggs. I named him Ndugu (of "About
Shmidt" fame) and he is happily playing along. Now big enough that nobody can
really eat him, but still staying close to those caves! Nobody we talked to
ever heard of a lemon reproducing in captivity. He is so cute, little Ndugu!

Thanks for the suggestion, and I may take you up on the plants. Mark loves
those corms you buy at Walmart and drop in. He is obviously not picky! You
drop them in and in days they are plants. Petsmart has a relatively nice
selection of healthy plants. The one on I35 and Parmer, not the one in Round
Rock or on 183. We like the grasses best. I'll let you know.