Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
sweet

Default Dog resistant sod?

"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"RM" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
Is there any such thing???

I had a decent patch of english ivy going, and some St. Augustine.
She is a very active border collie and has killed it all. I have bare
dirt where she runs. :-(

Any suggestions?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=0&user id=k
atra

I have found that Tiff 419 holds up well to dog traffic. I have a

border
collie as well and you can see the trail, but tiff will adjust and grow

very
close and dense to the ground. When it is first starting to grow I made
some temporary obsticals that I could put in the dogs run path and make

it
go around, giving the grass a chance to take hold and grow.

Awesome, thanks, but I've never heard of it!
Where can I get it and does it come in sod or do I have to plant seed?

Thanks!!!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

I tried google.com, amazon.com, and eBay.com to buy Tiff 419 and came up
blank. I also did a search for "lawn garden" at google.com and then check
some sites out for Tiff 419... nothing!
So at one of the well designed sites I asked them to contact me. If and when
they do i will post the address here.

-sweet
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/jbc33/

Old 06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
cat daddy

"sweet" wrote in message
. ..
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"RM" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
[...]

I did a search for Tiff 419 , grass, Austin and this appeared among the
links.
http://www.huvarfarms.com/

It seems to be a popular golf course grass, so calling one of them might
turn up a more local supplier

Old 06-02-2004, 05:27 PM
dt

cat daddy wrote:

"sweet" wrote in message
. ..

"Katra" wrote in message

In article ,
"RM" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message

[...]

Start calling garden centers near you. It's a bermuda, also called
"Tifway 419".

http://www.turfgrassamerica.com/ seems to have a place out on 290W.

DT

Old 06-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Katra

In article ,
"cat daddy" wrote:

I tried google.com, amazon.com, and eBay.com to buy Tiff 419 and came up
blank. I also did a search for "lawn garden" at google.com and then check
some sites out for Tiff 419... nothing!
So at one of the well designed sites I asked them to contact me. If and

when
they do i will post the address here.

I did a search for Tiff 419 , grass, Austin and this appeared among the
links.
http://www.huvarfarms.com/

It seems to be a popular golf course grass, so calling one of them might
turn up a more local supplier

Excellent, thanks! :-)
I've tried to grow Bermuda without much success out back. Maybe this
will do better!

K.

Old 06-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Katra

In article ,
dt wrote:

[...]

Thanks! :-)
That is a neat picture on their site of the way they grow and harvest it.

K.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:10 AM
RM

It depends on the amount of shade. Tifway 419 is a hybred bermuda, only in
sod form, there are no seeds for it. I have purchased it at various grass
places in austin, the grass patch on 183 carries it. You can get it in two
froms, sod grown in sand or sod grown in regular black dirt. The place I
purchased it was:

http://www.bastroptexasusa.com/AZGrass/

This site has some very good information on the various types of grass and
what works best in the area.

-D

Old 07-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
"RM" wrote:

It depends on the amount of shade. Tifway 419 is a hybred bermuda, only in
sod form, there are no seeds for it. I have purchased it at various grass
places in austin, the grass patch on 183 carries it. You can get it in two
froms, sod grown in sand or sod grown in regular black dirt. The place I
purchased it was:

http://www.bastroptexasusa.com/AZGrass/

This site has some very good information on the various types of grass and
what works best in the area.

-D

As long as it is reasonably dog proof. G
I hated to do it, but we bought the materials for putting up a hotwire
today. Best dog training device for teaching them to avoid certain areas
as it's remote so you are not involved... Does not ruin your personal
relationship with them. She is such a loving dog, I just don't want her
to associate ME with this phase of her training...

I'd really like to get my English Ivy patch back! She has stomped that
to death too. :-P

K.

Old 07-02-2004, 04:02 PM
RM

You should have asked before, my border collie learned where and what the
hot wire was and stayed away from it for the most part, but as soon as it
was down she was back in where we had it up. They are smart dogs and unless
you are willing to leave it up from now on, your dog will go right back in
there. I swear my dog could see when it was unplugged. The invisible fense
works better because it is not something the dog see's, its just there and
they wear a collar that takes care of the shocking.

Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Katra

In article ,
"RM" wrote:

You should have asked before, my border collie learned where and what the
hot wire was and stayed away from it for the most part, but as soon as it
was down she was back in where we had it up. They are smart dogs and unless
you are willing to leave it up from now on, your dog will go right back in
there. I swear my dog could see when it was unplugged. The invisible fense
works better because it is not something the dog see's, its just there and
they wear a collar that takes care of the shocking.

Invisible fences have to be buried and are more expensive. ;-)

So, I may just have to leave it up... If a hotwire is done properly,
it's not unsightly IMHO. G You can set them up with solar chargers.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby ,,

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
Dog resistant sod? Katra Texas 0 02-02-2004 03:42 PM
Disease Resistant/Mildew Resistant Tomato SH United Kingdom 7 04-01-2004 03:52 AM
dog(bitch) resistant grass Alan Johnson United Kingdom 7 03-10-2003 08:44 PM
Bog Plants - deer resistant? Ken and Nancy Quantock Ponds (alternative) 1 30-03-2003 09:08 AM