Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vitex

Back in the summer I bought a Vitex agnus castus Latifolia but there
was no information with the plant, now I do not know how to look after
it during the winter. it is not very common it seems, information would
be appreciated

kate
Old 07-10-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/10/06 14:44, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

On 7/10/06 11:16, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

Back in the summer I bought a Vitex agnus castus Latifolia but there
was no information with the plant, now I do not know how to look after
it during the winter. it is not very common it seems, information would
be appreciated

kate

For info on your Chaste tree!
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...us-castus.html

We saw this flowering in Madeira.

Have just found this, too:
Scented Plants
Flowers: Fresh
The flowers are deliciously scented[245].
Leaves: Crushed
The leaves and stems are strongly aromatic.
Seed: Dried
The dried seeds have a pungent lemony perfume[245].
Cultivation details
Prefers a light well-drained loamy soil in a warm sunny position sheltered
from cold drying winds[49, 200]. Succeeds in dry soils. Intolerant of
water-logging[202]. Hardy to about -10°c, this species only succeeds
outdoors in the milder parts of Britain[1, 11], though it grows well on a
wall at Kew[11]. Plants only flower freely in a warm summer, so they are
best grown against a sunny wall even in areas of the country where they are
hardy[219]. The plants failed to open their flowers on our Cornish trial
ground even after a very hot summer[K]. The flowers are produced so late in
the season that they are unlikely to produce viable seed in this country
even if they flower properly[K]. A very ornamental plant[1], there are some
named varieties[219]. The whole plant is aromatic, the leaves and stems are
strongly aromatic[182], the flowers are deliciously scented[245] and the
dried seeds have a pungent lemony perfume[245]. This species has long been
regarded as a symbol of chastity[46]. Flowers are produced at the ends of
the current year's growth[202]. Any pruning is best carried out in the
spring and should consist of cutting out dead wood and shortening last
year's flowering branches[219].
Propagation
Seed - sow March in a warm greenhouse. The seed does not need
pre-treatment[113]. Germination is usually free and quick[113]. Prick out
the seedlings into individual pots when they are large enough to handle and
grow them on in the greenhouse for their first winter. Plant them out into
their permanent positions in early summer of the following year. Cuttings of
half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm with a heel, July/August in a frame. Good
percentage[78]. Cuttings of mature wood of the current seasons growth,
November in a cold frame[113].
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....x+agnus-castus

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
snip info

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....x+agnus-castus

I was admiring this lovely plant on a display by Priory Maze and Gardens
at a recent garden show. The chap on the stand assured me it ought to be
hardy on my light soil in a sunny spot. Then we saw one still flowering
away in Hillier's Gardens while we were down in Hampshire last weekend.

--
Sue

Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
snip info

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....x+agnus-castus

I was admiring this lovely plant on a display by Priory Maze and Gardens
at a recent garden show. The chap on the stand assured me it ought to be
hardy on my light soil in a sunny spot. Then we saw one still flowering
away in Hillier's Gardens while we were down in Hampshire last weekend.

Thank you Sacha and Sue for your interest. sorry I have been so long in
answering, p.c. gremlins, that is why I did not do my own research.
Happy to have all that information, it is a lovely plant and still
flowering here in Gloucestershire, I think I might have to go and buy
another one or two, I like planting in threes :-)

kate

Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/10/06 10:41, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
snip info

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....x+agnus-castus

I was admiring this lovely plant on a display by Priory Maze and Gardens
at a recent garden show. The chap on the stand assured me it ought to be
hardy on my light soil in a sunny spot. Then we saw one still flowering
away in Hillier's Gardens while we were down in Hampshire last weekend.

Thank you Sacha and Sue for your interest. sorry I have been so long in
answering, p.c. gremlins, that is why I did not do my own research.
Happy to have all that information, it is a lovely plant and still
flowering here in Gloucestershire, I think I might have to go and buy
another one or two, I like planting in threes :-)

Or 5s or 7s or 9s. ;-) Things always seem to look more interesting when
planted in odd numbers. I don't know why that should be but it's the same
with flower arranging where that's one of the golden rules. And I agree
that it's a lovely plant.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 8/10/06 10:41, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
snip info

[...]

Sue please remember Sacha comes with a "Wealth" warning:-)
She failed to mention one is an odd number. Buy one and split it--no point
making Sacha & Co too wealthy:-)

Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/10/06 13:16, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 8/10/06 10:41, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
snip info

[...]

No danger this time. We don't stock it! But I certainly want 3 or 5, or 7
or....for our own garden. There's also a white one which I'd like to get
when I track down a supplier. It kicks up lots of health references when
you Google on it.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote:
Sue please remember Sacha comes with a "Wealth" warning:-)
She failed to mention one is an odd number. Buy one and split it--no
point making Sacha & Co too wealthy:-)

No problem, as I haven't got room for seven of these!
(see 6th down from top)
http://www.aberglasney.org/index.php?page=flowers

No danger this time. We don't stock it! But I certainly want 3 or 5,
or 7 or....for our own garden. There's also a white one which I'd
like to get when I track down a supplier. It kicks up lots of health
references when you Google on it.

Yes. I'd read of it in a herbal medicine context before I found out it
was a garden worthy shrub.

--
Sue

Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 8/10/06 13:16, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 8/10/06 10:41, in article ,
"Kate
Morgan" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
snip info

[...]

10/10 for your ladylike discretion -never new it was used for that. 7 seems
excessive for anyone:-)

Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
when I track down a supplier. It kicks up lots of health references when
you Google on it.

I use a herbal supplement on my little pony mare when she gets all
hormonal and it does a good job, it contains Chaste Berry maybe I should
let her munch on the shrub :-)

kate

Vitex agnus-castus - fragrant? Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 9 15-10-2014 04:47 PM
Texas Lilac "vitex" tree? John Texas 6 09-08-2005 10:50 PM
Vitex Trees cal Texas 5 13-11-2004 10:54 PM
Chaste Tree (vitex agnus-castus) Scott Harper Texas 10 02-08-2004 02:04 PM
Vitex (was: Source for Viburnum rufidulum) Mike Prager Gardening 5 05-05-2004 04:02 PM