Old 16-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Texensis

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
| In article
| ,
| "Texensis" wrote:
|
| "Victor Martinez" wrote in message
| | Katra wrote:
| | Hemp.
| |
| | Duh... ;-)
| |
| | Duh indeed! I guess I'm a little slow considering my very
limited
| | exposure to this particular herb.
| |
| | --
| | Victor Martinez
| | Owned and operated by the Fantastic Seven (TM)
| | Send your spam he
| | Email me he

| From time to time splendid specimens used to pop up in neglected
| corners of the Capitol grounds and flourish there until noticed,
at
| which time somebody probably doused them with herbicide, because
the
| thitherto thriving vegetation would be shriveled into virtual
| nothingness. The elderly ParKings (patronage parking attendants)
used
| to do various kinds of gardening on the grounds, but one must
suspect
| that these plants were volunteers. If you look carefully, there
are
| plants of "ditchweed" or "mota" growing all over town..
|

| Where????
|
| Just curious!
| I don't smoke the stuff as I'm subject to random drug testing at
work.

| Om
| --
| "See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and
only
| enough blood to run one at a time." -Robin Williams

Around in various nooks and corners near the Supreme Court Building
and at several places along the east side of the grounds (both inside
and outside the fence).. But this was in the old days, days of the
ParKings and before everything was cordoned off, back when the Capitol
was open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all the year 'round. There
was a particularly persistent plant at the bus stop at 11th street and
Congress, east side; no matter how it was bombed it would come back.
There are a lot of overgrown vacant lots just east of downtown on th
other side of 35 and these plants are sometimes to be seen among the
miscellaneous vegetation . . . .

Old 16-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Cindy

Chill Cindy luv. ;-)
This is actually one of the better groups on usenet, or so I have
found.

If there is ANY way you can post a pic, please???

You can e-mail it to me and I'll upload it to my webspace, and send
you back a link to post.

K.

Okay, cool, thanks!

Cindy

Old 16-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

Chill Cindy luv. ;-)
This is actually one of the better groups on usenet, or so I have
found.

If there is ANY way you can post a pic, please???

You can e-mail it to me and I'll upload it to my webspace, and send
you back a link to post.

K.

Okay, cool, thanks!

Cindy

Whenever you are ready. :-)
I have to go to work shortly here and work a night shift, but I'll be
back on line in the morning as soon as I get home.

Remove the "mungbean" to e-mail me. That is my spam proofing.

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 17-10-2004, 03:11 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Texensis" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
| In article
| ,
| "Texensis" wrote:
|
| "Victor Martinez" wrote in message
| | Katra wrote:
| | Hemp.
| |
| | Duh... ;-)
| |
| | Duh indeed! I guess I'm a little slow considering my very
limited
| | exposure to this particular herb.
| |
| | --
| | Victor Martinez
| | Owned and operated by the Fantastic Seven (TM)
| | Send your spam he
| | Email me he

| From time to time splendid specimens used to pop up in neglected
| corners of the Capitol grounds and flourish there until noticed,
at
| which time somebody probably doused them with herbicide, because
the
| thitherto thriving vegetation would be shriveled into virtual
| nothingness. The elderly ParKings (patronage parking attendants)
used
| to do various kinds of gardening on the grounds, but one must
suspect
| that these plants were volunteers. If you look carefully, there
are
| plants of "ditchweed" or "mota" growing all over town..
|

| Where????
|
| Just curious!
| I don't smoke the stuff as I'm subject to random drug testing at
work.

| Om
| --
| "See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and
only
| enough blood to run one at a time." -Robin Williams

Around in various nooks and corners near the Supreme Court Building
and at several places along the east side of the grounds (both inside
and outside the fence).. But this was in the old days, days of the
ParKings and before everything was cordoned off, back when the Capitol
was open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all the year 'round. There
was a particularly persistent plant at the bus stop at 11th street and
Congress, east side; no matter how it was bombed it would come back.
There are a lot of overgrown vacant lots just east of downtown on th
other side of 35 and these plants are sometimes to be seen among the
miscellaneous vegetation . . . .

Cool... I'll pass the info. on to interested parties.
Just because i cannot use it myself is no reason not to share.

But I've read that "ditchweed" is often not worth the effort?
True or false?

Om.
Old 17-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:11:36 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

But I've read that "ditchweed" is often not worth the effort?
True or false?

True, largely. What may occur as escapes around here and especially
the Capital are likely not ditchweed, though. Hemp used to be a major
fiber crop in the US and most cultivars were selected for growing
fibers. Escapes of this are likely the source of ditchweed. The
"pharmacological" effects could be very minor. Hemp grown now days
centers on cultivars with increased pharmacological effect and no
interest in the quality of the fibers.

Seeds planted around the Capital are likely cultivars of the latter.
As I recall this started back in the 60's when being caught in
possession of even a modicum of the stuff could lead to "life without
parole". It was a political statement to have the Capital in
violation of the possession laws.

On the other hand being caught around the Capital with even a few
seeds in your pocket could lead to serious legal problems, thus it was
an act that required some bravado.

Rusty Mase

Old 17-10-2004, 06:11 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

But I've read that "ditchweed" is often not worth the effort?
True or false?

True, largely. What may occur as escapes around here and especially
the Capital are likely not ditchweed, though. Hemp used to be a major
fiber crop in the US and most cultivars were selected for growing
fibers. Escapes of this are likely the source of ditchweed. The
"pharmacological" effects could be very minor. Hemp grown now days
centers on cultivars with increased pharmacological effect and no
interest in the quality of the fibers.

Awesome... ;-)

Seeds planted around the Capital are likely cultivars of the latter.
As I recall this started back in the 60's when being caught in
possession of even a modicum of the stuff could lead to "life without
parole". It was a political statement to have the Capital in
violation of the possession laws.

Sounds like something I would do if I had the wherewithal and the
cohones'. G

On the other hand being caught around the Capital with even a few
seeds in your pocket could lead to serious legal problems, thus it was
an act that required some bravado.

Indeed.
And extreme care.

Rusty Mase

Thank you!

Om.
Old 17-10-2004, 10:51 PM
escapee

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:18:29 -0500, Rusty Mase opined:

wrote:

[...]

I had a Great Uncle who lived in Kansas, Missouri and he had a corn farm.
Between the corn plants, he grew hemp. When we went to visit them back when I
was a kid in the late 50s, my father's eyes popped out of his head when he was
all that stuff! He thought it was the real thing, he has since told me. He put
a few shoe boxes of it in the car before we drove back to New York and when we
got home he had a fight with my mother, who then threw his "pot" out the window
of our 6th floor apartment!

That's my pot story.

I smoked pot with my dad for many years before he died. The days I wish I can
remember every second of.

Old 18-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Elliot Richmond

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:51:48 GMT, escapee
wrote:

I had a Great Uncle who lived in Kansas, Missouri and he had a corn farm.
Between the corn plants, he grew hemp. When we went to visit them back when I
was a kid in the late 50s, my father's eyes popped out of his head when he was
all that stuff! He thought it was the real thing, he has since told me. He put
a few shoe boxes of it in the car before we drove back to New York and when we
got home he had a fight with my mother, who then threw his "pot" out the window
of our 6th floor apartment!

That's my pot story.

In Kansas, it is called "K" pot. During WW I, Kansas farmers grew
tremendous amounts of hemp for the war effort. Hemp has a small amount
of THC. You have to smoke about a bale to get a buzz. But the hemp
seeds lurk in the soil and K pot sometimes shows up along rural road
sides.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 18-10-2004, 02:04 AM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:04:19 -0500, Elliot Richmond
wrote:

In Kansas, it is called "K" pot. During WW I, Kansas farmers grew
tremendous amounts of hemp for the war effort. Hemp has a small amount
of THC. You have to smoke about a bale to get a buzz. But the hemp
seeds lurk in the soil and K pot sometimes shows up along rural road
sides.

Some time back I heard a story about a local public service group in
that area, possibly the Boy Scouts, got the idea that eliminating all
the "ditchweed" would help in the anti-drug effort. They sent
volunteers down rural roadside ditches to pull out and collect the
stuff for destruction.

They destroyed it by burning it - tons of it. Well, even at a bale a
buzz, they had some buzzing folks running around. This is a story on
the order of an urban legend, still it is funny to contemplate.

On selecting cultivars, though, gardeners have done it for millennia
and that was likely one of the first breakthroughs in the agricultural
revolution. That revolution may have been as much the discovery not
only that you could cultivate plants but that you could selectively
control which variants of the plant you wanted to grow.

Hemp and cannabis are just like tomatoes and broccoli, you select the
type that produces what you want.

Rusty Mase
Old 18-10-2004, 01:42 PM
escapee

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:04:45 -0500, Rusty Mase opined:

[...]

Personally, I think it should be legalized along with farmers' permits to grow
hemp for fiber. For the life of me I can't figure out why pot is illegal and
alcohol is legal. I don't know of one circumstance where a person died under
the influence of pot, or one death caused because of pot.

They are so friggin worried about gays being married and other idiotic bullshit
like it, but these renewable products which can generate billions of dollars and
save millions of trees (for paper alone) are being ignored.

At no other time in my 49 years do I recall an administration so positively
dumb. I can't believe our great nation is being run by a maniac who thinks
using a frozen embryo is murder, even though the embryo is going to be
discarded. I can't believe my president cannot say nuclear. I cannot believe
my president has alienated the entire earth. I can't believe there are people
who live next door to me who have Bush/Cheney signs on their lawn. I can't
believe it.

Rant off.

Victoria

Old 18-10-2004, 02:27 PM
God Bless Texas

Victor Martinez wrote:

Duh indeed! I guess I'm a little slow considering my very limited
exposure to this particular herb.

Think how much slower you would be if you *had* been exposed more . . .

Old 18-10-2004, 02:34 PM
God Bless Texas

escapee wrote:

Personally, I think it should be legalized along with farmers' permits to grow
hemp for fiber. For the life of me I can't figure out why pot is illegal and
alcohol is legal. I don't know of one circumstance where a person died under
the influence of pot, or one death caused because of pot.

Well, the low-grade stuff was made illegal was due to extensive lobbying
by DuPont, who wanted to sell the government their new petroleum-based
rope products.

The tactic used was scare-mongering about the low-life (insert racially
derogatory term of choice here)s who smoked it and then wanted to have
sex with white women.

Why is it currently illegal? IMO that's a very good question - the
low-grade stuff, as noted herein, is pretty worthless for recreational
purposes. The recreational-grade stuff keeps a whole lot of folks
employed, both at home and abroad, to fight the "war."

I suspect an unholy, and probably not even clearly intended, alliance
between the "military industrial complex," the state department, and
foreign governments to keep the funds rolling into their budgets.

But, that stuff will make you paranoid, ya know . . . :-)

Old 18-10-2004, 04:28 PM
dt

Texensis wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
| In article
| ,
| "Texensis" wrote:
|
| "Victor Martinez" wrote in message
| | Katra wrote:
| | Hemp.
| |
| | Duh... ;-)
| |
| | Duh indeed! I guess I'm a little slow considering my very
limited
| | exposure to this particular herb.
| |
| | --
| | Victor Martinez
| | Owned and operated by the Fantastic Seven (TM)
| | Send your spam he
| | Email me he

| From time to time splendid specimens used to pop up in neglected
| corners of the Capitol grounds and flourish there until noticed,
at
| which time somebody probably doused them with herbicide, because
the
| thitherto thriving vegetation would be shriveled into virtual
| nothingness. The elderly ParKings (patronage parking attendants)
used
| to do various kinds of gardening on the grounds, but one must
suspect
| that these plants were volunteers. If you look carefully, there
are
| plants of "ditchweed" or "mota" growing all over town..
|

| Where????
|
| Just curious!
| I don't smoke the stuff as I'm subject to random drug testing at
work.

| Om
| --
| "See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and
only
| enough blood to run one at a time." -Robin Williams

Around in various nooks and corners near the Supreme Court Building
and at several places along the east side of the grounds (both inside
and outside the fence).. But this was in the old days, days of the
ParKings and before everything was cordoned off, back when the Capitol
was open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all the year 'round. There
was a particularly persistent plant at the bus stop at 11th street and
Congress, east side; no matter how it was bombed it would come back.
There are a lot of overgrown vacant lots just east of downtown on th
other side of 35 and these plants are sometimes to be seen among the
miscellaneous vegetation . . . .

Remember back when you could actually use the circular drive all the way
around the Capitol? Late at night, people used to partake of herb,
drive in from the north, circle the building three or four times and
then split.

Or so I've been told; *I* would never do such a thing! ;-)

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 18-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Gae Xavier

God Bless Texas wrote:

Well, the low-grade stuff was made illegal was due to extensive lobbying
by DuPont, who wanted to sell the government their new petroleum-based
rope products.

The tactic used was scare-mongering about the low-life (insert racially
derogatory term of choice here)s who smoked it and then wanted to have
sex with white women.

Why is it currently illegal? IMO that's a very good question - the
low-grade stuff, as noted herein, is pretty worthless for recreational
purposes. The recreational-grade stuff keeps a whole lot of folks
employed, both at home and abroad, to fight the "war."

Like Rusty, I was a child of the '60's -- you know, just in diapers at
the Vulcan Gas Company. LOL

So I am aware of lots and lots of old pot heads who used to sprinkle the
capitol grounds with seeds and armadillos and still smoke it.

The thing about pot is, everyone I know who has smoked it daily for
20-40 years, is a couch potato without an erection. How would I know --
they have mentioned it in passing... OKAY! (A specific example, is a
girlfriend of mine complaining about her BF who has smoked it for 40
years and she "doesn't get no satisfaction", because the erectile tissue
is well... no longer functional and feeling anything from the nerve
endings being bathed in the chemical cannabis produces for 40 yrs.

If studies were done (they may have been already), I think that with
long term use, short term memory is an issue, extreme lethargy combined
with a lack of ambition, and nerve damage along the excitatory impulse
channels, IMO.

FWIW: Gae

I suspect an unholy, and probably not even clearly intended, alliance
between the "military industrial complex," the state department, and
foreign governments to keep the funds rolling into their budgets.

Yes, but more importantly, the GNP would go way down if it were legal
and in use daily by many, not to mention the population rate plummeting.
Hey, maybe that's an idea to ponder...

But, that stuff will make you paranoid, ya know . . . :-)

Old 18-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:48:49 -0500, Gae Xavier wrote:

Like Rusty, I was a child of the '60's -- you know, just in diapers at
the Vulcan Gas Company. LOL

The Austin club scene was really great back then but I did not get
much gardening done! Of course I was not supposed to. Vulcan died
early and I heard it was reincarnated as the Armadillo WHQ. I got
into parenting about the time all of these started passing away (i.e.
Soap Creek Saloon) and I have not had time to reintroduce myself to
the newer genre of Austin's night life. But whatever it is today, it
would have a really hard time competing with the period between when I
got here in 1967 and up to say 1978 when I wandered into parenting.

I will mention one place, though, that I continued to frequent up
until it closed circa 1980, the Sugar Shack. It used to be out in
Westlake Hills, say the 3500 block of Bee Caves Rd and was on my route
home from work. It was a combined local meeting place, pool hall,
night club, topless bar, and "no-name band" music scene. You could
stop by for a few beers, flirt with the waitresses, shoot some pool,
listen to some tunes, and talk politics while playing Dominoes with
the local retired cedar choppers.

Not that was Austin Eclectic at it's purist!

Rusty Mase