Old 25-07-2005, 09:48 PM
NikV

Default Tree Id - not many clues

My M-I-L has had a tree planted by neighbours within 1.5 m from her house
wall, over 2 years it has leapt up to about 4m tall. We are trying to id
the tree, unfortunately I've not had the camera to take a photograph so can
anybody give us a clue from :

Leaves - long(12in - 300mm) narrow (2in - 50mm) dark green tapering to a
point, edges not serrated but slightly wavy (above and below plane of the
leaf) distinct central vein ridged below leaf.
Branches - upright at top weeping lower down with alternate leaves hanging
down
Trunk - smooth light grey

Any ideas from the experts out there

Cheers

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old 25-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
NikV wrote:
My M-I-L has had a tree planted by neighbours within 1.5 m from her house
wall, over 2 years it has leapt up to about 4m tall. We are trying to id
the tree, unfortunately I've not had the camera to take a photograph so can
anybody give us a clue from :

Leaves - long(12in - 300mm) narrow (2in - 50mm) dark green tapering to a
point, edges not serrated but slightly wavy (above and below plane of the
leaf) distinct central vein ridged below leaf.
Branches - upright at top weeping lower down with alternate leaves hanging
down
Trunk - smooth light grey

Probably a willow.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-07-2005, 11:22 PM
andrewpreece

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
NikV wrote:
My M-I-L has had a tree planted by neighbours within 1.5 m from her house
wall, over 2 years it has leapt up to about 4m tall. We are trying to id
the tree, unfortunately I've not had the camera to take a photograph so

can
anybody give us a clue from :

Leaves - long(12in - 300mm) narrow (2in - 50mm) dark green tapering to a
point, edges not serrated but slightly wavy (above and below plane of the
leaf) distinct central vein ridged below leaf.
Branches - upright at top weeping lower down with alternate leaves

hanging
down
Trunk - smooth light grey

Probably a willow.

Willows are bad trees to have that close to your house.

Andy.

Old 25-07-2005, 11:37 PM
ned

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
NikV wrote:
My M-I-L has had a tree planted by neighbours within 1.5 m from her
house wall, over 2 years it has leapt up to about 4m tall. We are
trying to id the tree, unfortunately I've not had the camera to

take
a photograph so can anybody give us a clue from :

Leaves - long(12in - 300mm) narrow (2in - 50mm) dark green tapering
to a point, edges not serrated but slightly wavy (above and below
plane of the leaf) distinct central vein ridged below leaf.
Branches - upright at top weeping lower down with alternate leaves
hanging down
Trunk - smooth light grey

Probably a willow.

Grey trunk, long thin leaves, certainly sounds willow like.
But I know not a variety with 12 inch long leaves
- especially on a 4m tall specimen.
Not that I know much about them, is Eucalyptus a contender?

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.07.2005

Old 26-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Charlie Pridham

"ned" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
NikV wrote:
[...]

Eucalyptus maybe, or maybe sweet chestnut.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-07-2005, 09:32 AM
BAC

"NikV" wrote in message
My M-I-L has had a tree planted by neighbours within 1.5 m from her house
wall, over 2 years it has leapt up to about 4m tall. We are trying to id
the tree, unfortunately I've not had the camera to take a photograph so

can
anybody give us a clue from :

Leaves - long(12in - 300mm) narrow (2in - 50mm) dark green tapering to a
point, edges not serrated but slightly wavy (above and below plane of the
leaf) distinct central vein ridged below leaf.
Branches - upright at top weeping lower down with alternate leaves hanging
down
Trunk - smooth light grey

Any ideas from the experts out there

Idea No 1 - ask the neighbours what they planted! I assume it must be pretty
close to their house as well, so, either they ought to be confident they
have planted something 'safe', or, if not, they ought to be equally
concerned as your MIL.

Apart from that, it might help the experts narrow down the field if you
could say whether any blossom or catkins, or 'fruit' have been seen on the
tree, and if so, what they looked like and when they appeared? If a leaf is
crushed, does it have any particular odour? Are the leaves the same colour
above and below, are they hairy at all?

Better to be safe than sorry with a tree planted that close to a house ...

Old 26-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , ned wrote:

Grey trunk, long thin leaves, certainly sounds willow like.
But I know not a variety with 12 inch long leaves
- especially on a 4m tall specimen.

S. viminalis can get there, and there may well be cultivated varieties
or non-native species that get over that.

Not that I know much about them, is Eucalyptus a contender?

A good point. Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-07-2005, 10:24 PM
NikV

"BAC" wrote in message

Idea No 1 - ask the neighbours what they planted! I assume it must be
pretty
close to their house as well, so, either they ought to be confident they
have planted something 'safe', or, if not, they ought to be equally
concerned as your MIL.

neighbours house backs on to the side of the MIL's they are on different
estates!! tree is planted about 10m away from their house i.e. at the bottom
of the garden. She will approach them but just trying to get some idea of
the hazard first.

Apart from that, it might help the experts narrow down the field if you
could say whether any blossom or catkins, or 'fruit' have been seen on the
tree, and if so, what they looked like and when they appeared?

not seen any blossom, catkins or fruit

If a leaf is
crushed, does it have any particular odour? Are the leaves the same colour
above and below, are they hairy at all?

leaves are smooth same colour top and bottom (mature - dark green and
leathery: young - light green and easy to tear). When crushed there is no
particular odour except that of crushed leaf.

Better to be safe than sorry with a tree planted that close to a house ...

My point to her especially as her estate appears to be built on clay.

Thank-you for the two suggestions, Ive had a look at pictures of willow (&
osier) and eucalyptus but can't find examples with this leaf shape and no
pictures Iv'e found look like this particular tree. It is very slim and
elegant with very very branching branches (If you know what I mean)

Nik

Old 26-07-2005, 10:36 PM
NikV

"NikV" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

[...]

OOPs

Thank-you for the two suggestions, Ive had a look at pictures of willow (&
osier) and eucalyptus but can't find examples with this leaf shape and no
pictures Iv'e found look like this particular tree. It is very slim and
elegant with very FEW branching branches (If you know what I mean)

Nik

Old 27-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Sacha

On 26/7/05 10:36 pm, in article ,
"NikV" wrote:
snip
Ive had a look at pictures of willow (&
osier) and eucalyptus but can't find examples with this leaf shape and no
pictures Iv'e found look like this particular tree. It is very slim and
elegant with very FEW branching branches (If you know what I mean)

Have you tried Halesia monticola? Might be worth a look. Or good old elder.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Lol

Sorry not an expert but the bark, leaves and growth rate sound very
Eucalyptus to me!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_flowers2.jpg

Old 30-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Sacha

On 30/7/05 19:29, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

Sorry not an expert but the bark, leaves and growth rate sound very
Eucalyptus to me!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_flowers2.jpg

I think so too but it seems the OP thinks not?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Lee and Kath

Couldn't you send a few leaves and description to Kew or Bedgbury Pinetum? They have tree experts
and most certainly have more knowledgable access to the information needed.

From my experience most 'experts' are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Kath
Old 31-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Lol

"Lee and Kath" wrote in message
Couldn't you send a few leaves and description to Kew or Bedgbury Pinetum?
They have tree experts
and most certainly have more knowledgable access to the information
needed.

From my experience most 'experts' are more than happy to share their
knowledge.

Kath

True, but referring back to the OP, I suspect the _real_ question is not
taxonomic enlightenment but "what is the best way to kill this tree without
anyone knowing I did it?"

(A eucalyptus that I planted 19 yrs ago grows 6ft per year, and is an
excellent source of firewood, but I wouldn't want it that close to the
house.)

Old 31-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Harold Walker

..
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Curiosity...what about the likes of Spring cabbage and spinach during Jan
and February....or does they just suspend their growth during those two and
then start up again in March?.....H