Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't think the roots were invasive: I've seen enough mature figs
planted against gable-ends without any obvious damage resulting.

Yes. It was my mistake. Sorry. (See other post).

I caught your original post just a bit too quickly...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

To be honest, our fig tree is a bit of a nuisance. It's extremely vigorous
and pushes 'fingers' up between the guttering and the back of the cottage
while you look the other way for ten seconds. On its other side, it
devours the washing line! It seems to carry a fair bit of fruit but lots of
it falls off before it can ripen.

I've often wondered whether unripe figs could be useful in chutney.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Serena Blanchflower writes:

| I've often wondered whether unripe figs could be useful in chutney.
|
| Hmmmmm. I wonder if the effect might not be a bit startling. Think Syrup
| of Figs!
|
| I think it sounds like a good idea; I doubt the effects would be too
| dramatic, after all, you don't tend to eat huge quantities of chutney
| at each sitting. Some years ago, I bought a jar of fig jam which was
| delicious used in cooking, in things like curries, where I wanted to
| add a degree of sweetness and body. I must admit that I never ate it
| spread on toast though.

I have never found ripe figs particularly loosening, and have eaten
a kilo in an afternoon. I doubt that unripe ones are very different.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I've often wondered whether unripe figs could be useful in chutney.

Hmmmmm. I wonder if the effect might not be a bit startling. Think Syrup
of Figs!

I've never found any elastic effect in stirrup of figses.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:47 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't think the roots were invasive: I've seen enough mature figs
planted against gable-ends without any obvious damage resulting.

Yes. It was my mistake. Sorry. (See other post).

I caught your original post just a bit too quickly...

No probs. How's the netty?
--
June Hughes

Old 10-08-2005, 06:48 PM
June Hughes

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Serena Blanchflower writes:

| I've often wondered whether unripe figs could be useful in chutney.
|
| Hmmmmm. I wonder if the effect might not be a bit startling. Think Syrup
| of Figs!
|
| I think it sounds like a good idea; I doubt the effects would be too
| dramatic, after all, you don't tend to eat huge quantities of chutney
| at each sitting. Some years ago, I bought a jar of fig jam which was
| delicious used in cooking, in things like curries, where I wanted to
| add a degree of sweetness and body. I must admit that I never ate it
| spread on toast though.

I have never found ripe figs particularly loosening, and have eaten
a kilo in an afternoon. I doubt that unripe ones are very different.

Only one of mine has ripened so far but it was delicious. I have to
watch very carefully for wasps - last year they damaged the lot in a
morning.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't think the roots were invasive: I've seen enough mature figs
planted against gable-ends without any obvious damage resulting.

Yes. It was my mistake. Sorry. (See other post).

I caught your original post just a bit too quickly...

No probs. How's the netty?

Still lurking. I put a hurdle wheel on the (8' × 6') side gate so the
postie can leave parcels without straining his back. (Expecting some
Worcesterberry cuttings very soon...)

Old 10-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I've never found any elastic effect in stirrup of figses.

Hmmmm. Perhaps you eat a lot of eggs? Seriously, the effect of figs on the
system might not affect everyone but it's pretty well known. My guess is
that it's mild compared to e.g. senna but nonetheless marked!

Eggs? I've eten five in the last couple of months - I'm mildly allergic
to them, so they only get used in cakes and things.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:40 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't think the roots were invasive: I've seen enough mature figs
planted against gable-ends without any obvious damage resulting.

Yes. It was my mistake. Sorry. (See other post).

I caught your original post just a bit too quickly...

No probs. How's the netty?

Still lurking. I put a hurdle wheel on the (8' × 6') side gate so the
postie can leave parcels without straining his back. (Expecting some
Worcesterberry cuttings very soon...)

This may sound very sad but what is a hurdle wheel please? And 8' by
6'? That is some size! I imagine the postie being shot over the gate
like some latter-day human cannonball.
--
June Hughes

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM