Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

No probs. How's the netty?

Still lurking. I put a hurdle wheel on the (8' × 6') side gate so the
postie can leave parcels without straining his back. (Expecting some
Worcesterberry cuttings very soon...)

This may sound very sad but what is a hurdle wheel please?

A hurdle is a sort-of barred gate with (usually) four wheels in line,
for making temorary stock pens or corridors. These were made of wrought
iron and the broad four-spoked wheels were of cast iron, around nine
inches in diameter.

And 8' by
6'? That is some size!

It opens to gain access to my shed/garage in which will be a motorcycle
combination. You can see the earlier stages of the construction at:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/ and the gate is a spare
panel from the gridge-down-the-loke.

I imagine the postie being shot over the gate
like some latter-day human cannonball.

Don't tempt me - he left a letter in my box for the farmhouse at the far
end of the loke yesterday.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
[...]

Loke?
--
June Hughes
Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Don't tempt me - he left a letter in my box for the farmhouse at the far
end of the loke yesterday.

Loke?

Wynd.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Don't tempt me - he left a letter in my box for the farmhouse at the far
end of the loke yesterday.

Loke?

Wynd.

Oh! Lane Penny has dropped. Where I come from they are called
lonnings.
--
June Hughes
Old 11-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Don't tempt me - he left a letter in my box for the farmhouse at the far
end of the loke yesterday.

Loke?

Wynd.

Oh! Lane Penny has dropped. Where I come from they are called
lonnings.

Ah. Lonnings, loanings, lanes - all from the Old English 'lane or lone'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 11-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these
words:
In message ,

Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these
words:

Don't tempt me - he left a letter in my box for the farmhouse

at
the far end of the loke yesterday.

Loke?

Wynd.

Oh! Lane Penny has dropped. Where I come from they are called
lonnings.

Ah. Lonnings, loanings, lanes - all from the Old English 'lane or
lone'.

I really can't stand much more of this. I'm a poor dam ' honest
colonial Australian, rattling my shackles, and I thought I had you
poor oppressed cringing Pommie rickets-infested peasants on the run;
but now you suddenly get all unintelligible on me! You *******s pull
another stunt like that, and we'll go republican.

Down under, we rule the OED with big-time scholarship: you Eschary
types better explain yourselves in short order,or flimin' else..

--
Mike.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:14 AM
WaltA

Variously it was written :
the far end of the loke yesterday.
Loke
Wynd.
Oh! Lane Penny has dropped. Where I come from they are called
lonnings.

Ah, now I know what yo is all on about, ye oldie English Liverpudlian
Coleoptera territory, up Penny Lane way,
(Hint, just in case : Beatles )

I really can't stand much more of this. I'm a poor dam ' honest
colonial Australian,

Astonishing! Glad to know that there is one left alive
(snip)
You *******s pull
another stunt like that, and we'll go republican.

:-))))
Are you concerned about the absentee Monarch syndrome ? No worries
mate, you can have a resident family, free, some of us would be glad
to pay the p&p as well :-)(
(All the above is a jest, honest, just in case any Home Secretaries
are thinking of invoking an ancient Treason device)

Old 12-08-2005, 08:16 AM
June Hughes

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from June Hughes contains these
words:

Oh! Lane Penny has dropped. Where I come from they are called
lonnings.

Ah. Lonnings, loanings, lanes - all from the Old English 'lane or
lone'.

I really can't stand much more of this. I'm a poor dam ' honest
colonial Australian, rattling my shackles, and I thought I had you
poor oppressed cringing Pommie rickets-infested peasants on the run;
but now you suddenly get all unintelligible on me! You *******s pull
another stunt like that, and we'll go republican.

Down under, we rule the OED with big-time scholarship: you Eschary
types better explain yourselves in short order,or flimin' else..

Eschary? Flimin'? g Frantically trying to remember how you speak
'Strine.

Just to keep on topic - apart from using a huge net or getting up in the
early hours, how can I stop wasps from eating my figs, please?
--
June Hughes
Old 12-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I really can't stand much more of this. I'm a poor dam ' honest
colonial Australian, rattling my shackles, and I thought I had you
poor oppressed cringing Pommie rickets-infested peasants on the run;
but now you suddenly get all unintelligible on me! You *******s pull
another stunt like that, and we'll go republican.

Down under, we rule the OED with big-time scholarship: you Eschary
types better explain yourselves in short order,or flimin' else..

My! Hasn't the Eschary widened recently!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Sue

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
" :

snip
Down under, we rule the OED with big-time scholarship: you Eschary
types better explain yourselves in short order,or flimin' else..

My! Hasn't the Eschary widened recently!

's global warmin' innit.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Just to keep on topic - apart from using a huge net or getting up in the
early hours, how can I stop wasps from eating my figs, please?

Very keen eyesight, a steady arm and an air rifle.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-08-2005, 08:10 PM
June Hughes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Just to keep on topic - apart from using a huge net or getting up in the
early hours, how can I stop wasps from eating my figs, please?

Very keen eyesight, a steady arm and an air rifle.

Thanks. None are ripe today after the first success but tomorrow may be
different. (Funnily enough, the wasps seemed to know that and have not
been around today).
--
June Hughes
Old 13-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Just to keep on topic - apart from using a huge net or getting up in the
early hours, how can I stop wasps from eating my figs, please?

Very keen eyesight, a steady arm and an air rifle.

Thanks. None are ripe today after the first success but tomorrow may be
different. (Funnily enough, the wasps seemed to know that and have not
been around today).

Quite seriously, I'm looking round for an old smoothbore airgun. Using
dust shot, I want to try the combination on the plague of large white
flutterbies which the local millions of acres of rape nurture. (There
are sometimes ten or fifteen in my small garden at one time this year.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM