Old 08-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Leslie

Default Figs

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

...............Leslie

Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Emrys Davies

"Leslie" wrote in message
hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

...............Leslie

This site will hopefully meet your needs.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/s...Figcitrus.html

Regards
mrys Davies.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 19:37:29 +0100, "Leslie"
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Sue

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 AM
June Hughes

In message ws.net,
Sue writes

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

Mine seems to be OK at the moment. I has been in a huge pot for 18
months or so. I had the first ripe fig of the season last night.
--
June Hughes

Old 09-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Sacha

On 9/8/05 1:04, in article
s.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

I don't pretend to know the answer to this but some people swear that figs
do best if their roots are restricted......of course, they also swear that
you should bury a dead donkey underneath them!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 09-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message ws.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

Yes, and they do very well - for small quantities of very well.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message ws.net,
Sue writes

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

Mine seems to be OK at the moment. I has been in a huge pot for 18
months or so. I had the first ripe fig of the season last night.

I forgot to say that the supplier gave me some seaweed fertiliser to use
once a year on mine. He told me to leave the tree in the pot it came
in, which I have done. I have used the seaweed fertiliser but haven't a
clue whether or not it has done any good. (Gardeners here have said the
roots are very invasive and suggested I use an old washing-machine drum
if planting out in the garden.)

The main thing to remember is to keep the tree well watered, especially
in the first 12 months or so.

One of my neighbours has a huge, fruitful fig tree, which has been there
at least 20 years without causing any problems at all but I think they
have just been lucky.
--
June Hughes
Old 09-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Kay

In article , June Hughes
writes

(Gardeners here have said the roots are very invasive and suggested I use an
old washing-machine drum if planting out in the garden.)

Has anyone said that the roots are invasive? I thought the washing
machine drum advice was because a fig tree with free root run tends to
produce leaves at the expense of fruit, not because the roots were
particularly invasive.
--
Kay

Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 PM
June Hughes

In message , Kay
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes

(Gardeners here have said the roots are very invasive and suggested I use an
old washing-machine drum if planting out in the garden.)

Has anyone said that the roots are invasive? I thought the washing
machine drum advice was because a fig tree with free root run tends to
produce leaves at the expense of fruit, not because the roots were
particularly invasive.

Sorry - Apols. It wasn't the roots. It was the whole tree.

14.11.04 and 15.11..04

I pasted in the posts then removed them in case anyone I upset anyone by
quoting them. It is easy to look them up on Google.

I made a mistake in not looking up the posts before posting but they
seem very positive about the tree spreading.

I took the advice. Mine is still in its pot. As already stated, my
neighbour's tree is freely planted in the garden (against a fence) and
bears a lot of fruit.

--
June Hughes

Old 09-08-2005, 05:00 PM
pammyT

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 9/8/05 1:04, in article
s.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote
wrote:

hello when is the best time to take fig cuttings please

I took one piece off a wild tree, in about early October 2003. It is
doing OK in a small pot with mimimum care up to now. The parent tree
is very old, on banks of river Avon in Bristol, allegedly grown from
seeds in the rather foul mud!!
I stuck the piece in a pot of soil and put it in a shady place outside
over winter and to my surprise it rooted.

Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have

be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned

keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

I don't pretend to know the answer to this but some people swear that figs
do best if their roots are restricted......of course, they also swear that
you should bury a dead donkey underneath them!

Mine is planted in the north facing garden straight into the ground which
is heavy clay. It fruits prolifically.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I don't pretend to know the answer to this but some people swear that figs
do best if their roots are restricted......of course, they also swear that
you should bury a dead donkey underneath them!

That's a grape vine.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , June Hughes
writes

(Gardeners here have said the roots are very invasive and suggested
I use an
old washing-machine drum if planting out in the garden.)

Has anyone said that the roots are invasive? I thought the washing
machine drum advice was because a fig tree with free root run tends to
produce leaves at the expense of fruit, not because the roots were
particularly invasive.

I wouldn't think the roots were invasive: I've seen enough mature figs
planted against gable-ends without any obvious damage resulting.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Sue

"Kay" wrote
Sue writes
Is it feasible to grow a fig permanently in a pot? I realise it'd have to
be a fairly large one, but would the tree still fruit if it was pruned to
keep it within bounds? I'd quite like to try one.

It's the recommended way. They fruit better with a restricted root run.

Read's nursery has a large number of fig varieties for greenhouse
growing.

I didn't realise there were so many varieties to choose from; I'd only
heard of 'Brown Turkey' before.

Many thanks to everyone for the help.

--
Sue

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM