Old 13-08-2005, 04:29 PM

Default anyone know what this is?

Hi,

We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
sure what they are (they're quite tall).

I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph

If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
being eaten by our toddler...)

Thanks,

Darragh

Old 13-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Bob Hobden

Darragh wrote
We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
sure what they are (they're quite tall).

I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph

If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
being eaten by our toddler...)

Deadly Nightshade see...
http://www.scienceu.com/library/arti...e_flowers.html
for a good picture and...
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/solanin...ightshade.html for some good
information.

Don't eat the berries! :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Phil L

:: Hi,
::
:: We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
:: sure what they are (they're quite tall).
::
:: I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
::
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph
::
:: If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
:: what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
:: being eaten by our toddler...)
::
:: Thanks,
::
:: Darragh

solanum_dulcamara, a cousin of deadly nightshade, although not as toxic, you
would be wise to get rid of it now before anything happens as the berries
are still nasty and not safe where toddlers are concerned.

http://www.first-nature.com/flowers/..._dulcamara.htm

There's some better pictures he

http://snipurl.com/gx62

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 13-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: wrote:
:::: Hi,
::::
[...]

Also, there's a better description here, containing toxicity information:

http://www.botanical-online.com/alca...maraangles.htm

Old 13-08-2005, 05:47 PM
gconn77

Post the information at http://gconn77.com/smf/ I would like to see if
people can identify it over there.

Old 13-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "gconn77" contains these words:

Post the information at (deleted) I would like to see if
people can identify it over there.

This is a UK gardening discussion group. Why don't you tell your
people to come over here and see what's available, and join in?

Or would you prefer all the posters here to follow your example.... drop
in to every discussion at your place, and suggest your members would be
better served over here?

Janet.
Old 13-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "gconn77" contains these words:

Post the information at (deleted)/ I would like to see if
people can identify it over there.

That seems highly unlikely, since you appear to be writing all the
posts on your pathetically empty forums yourself and clearly know damn
all about gardening.

Janet
Old 13-08-2005, 08:15 PM

Bob Hobden wrote:

Deadly Nightshade see...
http://www.scienceu.com/library/arti...e_flowers.html
for a good picture and...
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/solanin...ightshade.html for some good
information.

Don't eat the berries! :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Yikes!!

Thanks a million folks, its on its way to the bin already!

Darragh

Old 14-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Warwick

In article . com,
says...
Hi,

We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
sure what they are (they're quite tall).

I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph

If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
being eaten by our toddler...)

That looks a *lot* like deadly nightshade. Removal would be advised by
the cautious.

I'm fairly sure that the plant has become rare and has some levels of
protection. Were the identification to be confirmed it may get some
protection applied.

Failing to get further confirmation from someone official would be
*wrong*. Digging it out before the berries drop and burning it would be
a terrible thing to do in a garden with a toddler around.

Warwick - invisible tags should be taken as read
Old 14-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Kay

In article MPG.1d68a247f6fad9809896a8@dalai, Warwick
writes
In article . com,
says...
Hi,

We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
sure what they are (they're quite tall).

I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph

If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
being eaten by our toddler...)

That looks a *lot* like deadly nightshade.

The leaves do, but deadly nightshade has round black berries held
singly, with an obvious calyx around.
This is woody nightshade, bittersweet, Solanum dulcamara as others have
already said.

Failing to get further confirmation from someone official would be
*wrong*. Digging it out before the berries drop and burning it would be
a terrible thing to do in a garden with a toddler around.

I can remember when very small (though not toddler-small) going down
with measles or some such, and my mother hastily removing the vase of
woody nightshade I'd placed by me bedside in case the doctor got the
wrong idea ;-)
--
Kay

Old 15-08-2005, 12:53 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
In article MPG.1d68a247f6fad9809896a8@dalai, Warwick
writes
In article . com,
says...
Hi,

We've a couple of plants growing at the end of our garden and aren't
sure what they are (they're quite tall).

I've uploaded a pic of its leaves and berries at the following;
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dotsy....db.jpg&.src=ph

If anyone has a chance could they have a quick look and let us know
what they think it is (and if we should be nervous about the berries
being eaten by our toddler...)

That looks a *lot* like deadly nightshade.

The leaves do, but deadly nightshade has round black berries held
singly, with an obvious calyx around.
This is woody nightshade, bittersweet, Solanum dulcamara as others have
already said.

Ah, I was playing catchup so I missed a couple of posts. I've seen
deadly nightshade only twice in recent years.

Failing to get further confirmation from someone official would be
*wrong*. Digging it out before the berries drop and burning it would be
a terrible thing to do in a garden with a toddler around.

I can remember when very small (though not toddler-small) going down
with measles or some such, and my mother hastily removing the vase of
woody nightshade I'd placed by me bedside in case the doctor got the
wrong idea ;-)

But then there's the fact that children automatically know that they
shouldn't eat anything from that particular family of plants like the
deadly potato and the ghastly aubergine. So even if it wasn't a harmless
member of the family and had been the real thing, all he had to do was
tell them it was like an aubergine.

Warwick