Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Norman Sandland

Default Electric chain saws

Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple of 30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to about
6 inches diameter. I can remove the foliage with loppers but will an
electric chain saw be man enough for the multiple trunks. I do not want to
spend a fortune for a more powerful petrol chainsaw since |I do not have any
large trees to control.

Regards Norman

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Emrys Davies

'Norman',

An electric chain saw would be ample for the task which you have
described.

Be sure to use a power breaker and make sure that the trunk does not
lock onto the saw. Best to reduce the trunk in manageable sections.
Then you will be in control.

If you hire the saw you will be given instructions as to how it should
be handled. Also you will be issued with safety clothing, including a
helmet and also a power breaker.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Drakanthus

Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple of
30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to

about
6 inches diameter. I can remove the foliage with loppers but will an
electric chain saw be man enough for the multiple trunks. I do not want

spend a fortune for a more powerful petrol chainsaw since |I do not have

any
large trees to control.

Regards Norman

I would just use a manual bowsaw. Cheap but very effective - like a knife
through butter. I used one to remove and chop up cherry tree with a 9 inch
diameter trunk. You just need to take care that the tree doesn't sag onto
the blade trapping it - if you start to feel the blade pinching a little
just continue cutting the trunk from the opposite side.
I recon I could hand saw a 6 inch diameter conifer trunk in around 10
minutes - seems a waste of money buying an electric one specially for just
two trees. I suppose it may be worth while though if you are planning to
chop the felled trees up into smaller pieces. With a little work the trunks
can make useful hedging stakes.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Drakanthus wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple of

30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to

about
6 inches diameter.

I would just use a manual bowsaw. Cheap but very effective - like a knife
through butter. I used one to remove and chop up cherry tree with a 9 inch
diameter trunk. You just need to take care that the tree doesn't sag onto
the blade trapping it - if you start to feel the blade pinching a little
just continue cutting the trunk from the opposite side.
I recon I could hand saw a 6 inch diameter conifer trunk in around 10
minutes - seems a waste of money buying an electric one specially for just
two trees.

I just wanted to second this recommendation. The bow saw is cheaper
*and* its human powered so you don't have to worry about circuit breakers
and it's a lot safer, control-wise. 6 inches, yeah, I reckon I could
do one in 10 minutes too. And it's good exercise :-)

Sharon
Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
JimM

An electric chainsaw will cope with your trees no problem but in my
experience they blunt pretty quickly. It's a simple job to re-sharpen but it
can be a pain when you are halfway through a tree and need to stop to do it.

Have you considered trying one of the electric all puropose saws as made by
Black & Decker or Bosch. They are cheaper and you may have more use for them
after the tree job is completed

Jim

Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Norman Sandland wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple of 30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to about
6 inches diameter. I can remove the foliage with loppers but will an
electric chain saw be man enough for the multiple trunks. I do not want to
spend a fortune for a more powerful petrol chainsaw since |I do not have any
large trees to control.

Get a decent sized bow saw with a good-quality blade. It will be
cheaper, quicker and easier.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:09:05 -0000, Norman Sandland wrote:

Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple of 30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to about
6 inches diameter. I can remove the foliage with loppers but will an
electric chain saw be man enough for the multiple trunks. I do not want to
spend a fortune for a more powerful petrol chainsaw since |I do not have any
large trees to control.

Can you rent a petrol chainsaw for a day or two? That might be a
better idea (and cheaper) than buying a tool that you may only
use this once.

If you buy an electric, make sure you also acquire the items
necessary to keep it very well sharpened. Good chainsaw use
starts with a sharp chain. There's a certain knack to sharpening
them, too, so see if you an find someone to show you how.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 16-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Graham

Get someone to fell them for you, they'll also dispose of the trunk, brash
and can grind out the stump.

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...

Old 18-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Michael Berridge

Norman Sandland wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have a couple

of 30
foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist of multiple trunks up to

about
6 inches diameter. I can remove the foliage with loppers but will an
electric chain saw be man enough for the multiple trunks. I do not

want to
spend a fortune for a more powerful petrol chainsaw since |I do not

have any
large trees to control.

My advice is DON'T use a chainsaw, of any type, unless you are fully
trained. they are a very dangerous tool, and you really do need all the
protective clothing and helmet, even on ground force the only one who
uses a chain saw is Charlie, and that is, as AT says, because she has
had full training and has a certificate o competency.

I cut several 40' leylandiis down using a bow saw, took a couple of days
all told, but a lot safer that a chainsaw, particularly if you have to
be on a ladder.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Simon Avery

"Norman Sandland" wrote:

Hello Norman

NS Has anyone had any experience of electric chain saws? I have

Yes. Very dangerous imo, no throttle control and no inertia brake -
both essential. (Unless more modern ones have improved?)

NS a couple of 30 foot columnar/ pyramid conifers which consist
NS of multiple trunks up to about 6 inches diameter. I can
NS remove the foliage with loppers but will an electric chain
NS saw be man enough for the multiple trunks. I do not want to
NS spend a fortune for a more powerful petrol chainsaw since |I
NS do not have any large trees to control.

Ten minutes with a small axe and jobsa.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
david

will an electric chain saw be man enough for the multiple trunks

The answer is Yes if you use it properly. Have cut 12 inch oak without any
trouble.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries