Old 19-09-2005, 10:44 AM
Lucy

Default Identifying a plant

Hi

I am trying to find out what a plant is that I have seen in a local
park and the Leicester University Botanical Garden. It has leaves
similar in size and shape to a Fatsia but is a dark green/red leaf. The
plants I have seen are about a metre high and have pink spiky looking
fruit/flowers close to the stem.

I just wondered if anyone knew what it was

Many thanks
Lucy

Old 19-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Philippe Gautier

Lucy wrote:
Hi

I am trying to find out what a plant is that I have seen in a local
park and the Leicester University Botanical Garden. It has leaves
similar in size and shape to a Fatsia but is a dark green/red leaf. The
plants I have seen are about a metre high and have pink spiky looking
fruit/flowers close to the stem.

I just wondered if anyone knew what it was

Many thanks
Lucy

It's Ricinus, or Castor bean plant

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/castorbean.html
Old 19-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Lucy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I am trying to find out what a plant is that I have seen in a local
park and the Leicester University Botanical Garden. It has leaves
similar in size and shape to a Fatsia but is a dark green/red leaf. The
plants I have seen are about a metre high and have pink spiky looking
fruit/flowers close to the stem.

I just wondered if anyone knew what it was

Many thanks
Lucy

Probably the "Castor Oil Plant" Ricinis.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Sacha

On 19/9/05 10:50, in article , "Philippe
Gautier" wrote:

Lucy wrote:
Hi

I am trying to find out what a plant is that I have seen in a local
park and the Leicester University Botanical Garden. It has leaves
similar in size and shape to a Fatsia but is a dark green/red leaf. The
plants I have seen are about a metre high and have pink spiky looking
fruit/flowers close to the stem.

I just wondered if anyone knew what it was

Many thanks
Lucy

It's Ricinus, or Castor bean plant

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/castorbean.html

It certainly is. Very striking and extremely poisonous. I understand that
it's the most poisonous plant in UK.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Lucy

Many thanks to everyone. Yes it is that one as I had a look at some
pictures on the web. However if it is as poisonous as you say I'll
perhaps avoid it as I've two young children.

Cheers
Lucy

Old 20-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Sacha

On 20/9/05 13:27, in article
, "Cicero"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 20/9/05 10:23, in article
, "Lucy"
wrote:

Many thanks to everyone. Yes it is that one as I had a look at some
pictures on the web. However if it is as poisonous as you say I'll
perhaps avoid it as I've two young children.

snip

It's fair to say that there are no known cases of deaths from eating
Ricinus accidentally, as far as I know. Indeed, more plants are

poisonous
than are not, at least to some degree. But this is so toxic that I
wouldn't plant it with children around, no. However, the great thing is to
teach children not to put anything *at all* in their mouths without

asking
you first. And they should bring *you* to the plants, not vice versa!

You
don't want them picking Euphorbia or rue!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

==============
I believe that sale of the seeds was banned a few years ago when it was
considered that the poison which could be produced (Ricin) could be used to
make the type of gas which caused so many deaths and injuries in the gas
attacks on Japanese railway stations.

Cic.

No, there was talk of banning them but it didn't happen. Various town
councils, including Totnes, have used them as part of municipal planting.
You can still get them from e.g. Mail order sites, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Ornata

It's fair to say that there are no known cases of deaths from eating
Ricinus accidentally, as far as I know. Indeed, more plants are

poisonous than are not, at least to some degree. But this is so toxic that I
wouldn't plant it with children around, no. However, the great thing is to
teach children not to put anything *at all* in their mouths without

asking you first. And they should bring *you* to the plants, not vice versa!
You don't want them picking Euphorbia or rue!
--
Sacha

While it's true that the seeds are extremely poisonous and can result
in death if chewed and ingested, the rest of the plant is classed as
only mildly poisonous - i.e. less dangerous than a host of other garden
plants we happily grow. Ricinus are stunningly beautiful, dramatic
foliage plants, and I wouldn't be without them in my garden. To avoid
any problems, you can cut off the flowering parts before the seeds are
formed.

Old 20-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Cicero" wrote in message
.uk...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 20/9/05 10:23, in article
, "Lucy"
wrote:

[...]

You are getting Ricin and Sarin muddled, Ricin was not used in the Tokyo
attacks. I also suspect it would turn out to be one of those deadly poisons
that it is actually quite hard to poison a lot of people with.