Old 03-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
The rake I've got is probably best described as a leaf rake. It works
really effectively on the million leaves that the tree is shedding
right now, but the walnuts just slip right through it.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if I liked walnuts, but they don't do a
think for me! :-)

...if you pick them off the floor wear gloves! The coating to the nuts contains some sort of dye and no amount of scrubbing gets it off your fingers or nails. It really is worth picking them up though, they last for ages. Dry them out on a shed floor or similar.

Darren
Old 03-10-2005, 06:26 PM

djhughes writes:

..if you pick them off the floor wear gloves! The coating to the nuts
contains some sort of dye and no amount of scrubbing gets it off

As used by all the best princesses wanting to disguise themselves as
peasant girls in fairy tales.

Anthony

Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Jabes

Not all of them are good by any stretch. I am picking some up and off
the tree when they're about to fall for friends (of course, I can only
reach the low branches. The tree must be 30ft at least).

Back to my original question though, if I want to clear up all the bits
easily would any vac do the job or I am just destined for hard labour
for the rest of my days .... ;-)

Old 03-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "Jabes" contains these words:

Back to my original question though, if I want to clear up all the bits
easily would any vac do the job or I am just destined for hard labour
for the rest of my days .... ;-)

Well, I think 'the rest of your days' is a bit of an exaggeration - they
fall over a relatively short period - hardly worth buying a *VERY*
expensive bit of equipment for that. (If there *IS* one capable of
lifting walnuts from amongst the grass...)

--
Rusty
Old 04-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Alan Gabriel

"Jabes" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not all of them are good by any stretch. I am picking some up and off
the tree when they're about to fall for friends (of course, I can only
reach the low branches. The tree must be 30ft at least).

Back to my original question though, if I want to clear up all the bits
easily would any vac do the job or I am just destined for hard labour
for the rest of my days .... ;-)

Don't think a garden vac would be of any use. Mine shreds the leaves before
they go in the bag and I would imagine a walnut, if in fact it could lift
one, would break the blades.

--
Regards,
Alan

Preserve wildlife - pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Jupiter

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:12:20 +0100, "Alan Gabriel"
wrote:

"Jabes" wrote in message
roups.com...
Not all of them are good by any stretch. I am picking some up and off
the tree when they're about to fall for friends (of course, I can only
reach the low branches. The tree must be 30ft at least).

Back to my original question though, if I want to clear up all the bits
easily would any vac do the job or I am just destined for hard labour
for the rest of my days .... ;-)

Don't think a garden vac would be of any use. Mine shreds the leaves before
they go in the bag and I would imagine a walnut, if in fact it could lift
one, would break the blades.

Is there really so much hardship involved in raking leaves and picking
up windfall friut/nuts? My Victoria plums probably drop as many as I
pick. I bend my back every couple of days and pick pick them up.
Many are already half eaten by those little bushy-tailed greedy
squirrels, not to mention wasps, birds and the rest.

Mind you, make enough fuss about it and I'll sure someone wil make a
machine for picking up fallen walnuts.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article .com,
James Berry writes
We've just moved into a house with a decent size garden. There is an
extremely well established walnut tree (which has a conservation order
on it), which - as you can imagine - drops a considerable amount of
leaves, twigs, and walnuts.

I bought a 2500w flymo electric vac/blower since I had just so many
leaves to deal with, and this handles the leaves ok but the sheer
quantity of walnuts in the grass just depresses me. Raking is not
particularly effective.

Would a more "industrial" vac be able to suck up the walnuts?

Any other ideas?

best wishes
James

Was wondering if you could lay fleece down on the ground when they start
to fall, that way you can just pull the fleece up with all the walnuts
intact. I know this won't help this year but it might be useful in the
future.
Equally you could contact a group like the gardening association or W.I.
In your area and they might send volunteers to clean up for you!
If you could tell us the general area in which you live i have no doubt
there'll be a rush from local members of this newsgroup who would help.
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 06-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Jabes

A bit melodramatic, I admit. I'm enjoying the garden, but not the tree
clear-up and was just looking for a way to make it easier.

Thanks :-)

Old 06-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Jabes

A sweeping- rake with shorter, stronger tines than a lawn rake (but
bigger and more flexible than a soil-rake) will pick up heavier
material from grass .

Not sure I've seen anything like thus - any chance of a web link to a
picture so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Old 27-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

tree people use a leaf blower, dont get an electric one, waste of time, some even suck up the leaves..check this link for more info.. http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...s-0000124.aspx

As for the advice to ingore a tree preservation order, don't do it, the person cutting down the tree can be liable for a fine of thousands of pounds, walnut trees are rare and lovely...keep it and adapt to it..give it the respect it deserves....

Old 27-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy66
tree people use a leaf blower, dont get an electric one, waste of time, some even suck up the leaves..check this link for more info.. http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/su...s-0000124.aspx

As for the advice to ingore a tree preservation order, don't do it, the person cutting down the tree can be liable for a fine of thousands of pounds, walnut trees are rare and lovely...keep it and adapt to it..give it the respect it deserves....
what stumpy66 said!
Ignore a preservation order at your own peril, it can carry a maximum fine of up to £20,000 and/or a term in prison. The poster who shuggested it is probably a pikey with a bowsaw punting for work.
If the person cutting doesnt get done the landowner is next inline.
Carrot Cruncher.