Old 31-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Jollygreenp

Default The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

WaltA, I hope you are ducking because it is Askham Bryan here in God's
county. ;-)) We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

Old 31-10-2005, 01:01 AM
WaltA

On 30 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0800, "Jollygreenp" wrote:

WaltA, I hope you are ducking because it is Askham Bryan here in God's
county. ;-)) We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

Eeeek !
umble apology all round
what's the ransom to get released ?!

put it down to either
my age
or the fact that I was never sure if my ancestors were hung for
stealing sheep from the scots or cows from the ingleesh

Helmsley where be that to? I ne'er heed telonit.

Old 31-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Pam Moore

The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)
They are looking for a more appropriate slot in which to show it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 31-10-2005, 02:05 AM
WaltA

On 30 Oct 2005 16:05:00 -0800, "Jollygreenp" wrote:
We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

OT
PS
I suggest a long slow boil, at my age I think you would find me a bit
tough and stringy :-)

Are you angling for an invitation to pronounce Kirkcudbrightshire
or Jedburgh, hehee.

of course I would not be so crass or inept as to admit to a typo ,
would I :-))

PPS
When did Berwick(pronounce that if you will)-on-Tweed officially cease
to be at war with Russia ?

Answers in a brown paper envelope with a tenner please :-))
/OT

Old 31-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "Jollygreenp" contains these words:

WaltA, I hope you are ducking because it is Askham Bryan here in God's
county. ;-)) We've been known to roast foreigners on the spit for
mistakes like that. I bet you pronounce Helmsley with an L in it as
well!

A bit of quoted context might help us decode your message.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 31-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:54:44 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

How long has criteria been singular?

Old 31-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Kay

In article , WaltA
writes

Are you angling for an invitation to pronounce Kirkcudbrightshire
or Jedburgh, hehee.

Reader's letter to one of the serious newspapers on the reported success
of the 'look and say' method of teaching reading in a Scottish county "I
look forward to a future report of the success of the 'look and say'
method in Kirkcudbright'

--
Kay

Old 31-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Sue

"martin" wrote
Pam Moore wrote:
The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

I think that's a red herring anyway. They know perfectly well they won't
get high viewing numbers at that time of day (school runs, people at work
etc), but if those who *would* have been interested and could have taped it
if necessary hadn't heard about the series in advance, it just goes to show
they hadn't advertised it properly. Why on earth didn't they trail it at
the end of every Gardeners' World?

--
Sue

Old 31-10-2005, 02:32 PM
shazzbat

k...

wrote:

The Big Dig got a mention on Points of View yesterday afternoon.
( I was only channel-hopping, honest).
Wogan said that the producers said it had been taken off because of
low viewing numbers. (They didn't ask me!)

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

How long has criteria been singular?

About the same length of time as the words Forum and Agenda

Steve

Old 31-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message ws.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

I think that's a red herring anyway. They know perfectly well they won't
get high viewing numbers at that time of day (school runs, people at work
etc), but if those who *would* have been interested and could have taped it
if necessary hadn't heard about the series in advance, it just goes to show
they hadn't advertised it properly. Why on earth didn't they trail it at
the end of every Gardeners' World?

I'm surprised they haven't trailed it to death on R4 - every other
bleeding program on the entire network seems to be.

Old 31-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

How long has low viewing numbers been a criteria for the BBC?

How long has criteria been singular?

About the same length of time as the words Forum and Agenda

Not forgetting florum and faunum

Florum - no such word in Latin

Flora - from the godess of flowers - plural (if that were possible)
would be Florae

Faunus - Woodland god