Old 31-10-2005, 07:20 PM
shazzbat

Default The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

"Sue" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
And while he's about it he can have a stab at Wymondham, Milngavie,
Costessey and Stiffkey...

and Happisburgh.

And Cholmondely

Steve

Old 31-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message ws.net
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote

And while he's about it he can have a stab at Wymondham, Milngavie,
Costessey and Stiffkey...

and Happisburgh.

East Angular is full of'em. Tacolneston, Deopham (compare and contrast
with Meopham in Kent), Brome...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 31-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:
"Sue" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
And while he's about it he can have a stab at Wymondham, Milngavie,
Costessey and Stiffkey...

and Happisburgh.

And Cholmondely

All I've got to say to you is - Featherstonehaugh.

Old 31-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Gary Woods

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

All I've got to say to you is - Featherstonehaugh.

That's an old family name here in the colonies, with a lake of the same
name even. It's pronounced as it looks, though I _think_ I know the
"correct" way.
Makes the Monty Python "Raymond Luxury-Yacht" skit sound reasonable...

Old 31-10-2005, 11:01 PM
WaltA

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:53:46 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Seen the post, not had the right-shaped tuits to look, yet. Playing with
the system...

No prob.

Ah, but I'm down here in Norfolk

Oh! I thought you were lower left bit of Scotland, sorry.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Anthony Anson

The message
from jane contains these words:

Just out of curiosity, did my serious answer to this thread some days
ago show up on anyone's servers other than mine?

Not unless it has already autoexpired. I have autoexpire set for twelve
days in this group.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Jollygreenp

Helmsley is on the edge of the North York Moors. Well worth a visit,
castle and a restored walled garden, several nice pubs, cafes and
restaurants.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
middleton.walker

"martin" wrote in message
On 1 Nov 2005 03:36:02 -0800, "Jollygreenp"
wrote:

Helmsley is on the edge of the North York Moors. Well worth a visit,
castle and a restored walled garden, several nice pubs, cafes and
restaurants.

Nah, it's horrid, its' full of unfriendly men with flat caps and
whippets, it's cold and it rains all the time, better stay south of
Watford.
--
Martin

thou speaketh 'unfriendly like' about god's country...H

Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 PM
middleton.walker

"martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:46:31 -0500, "middleton.walker"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Helmsley is on the edge of the North York Moors. Well worth a visit,
castle and a restored walled garden, several nice pubs, cafes and
restaurants.

Nah, it's horrid, its' full of unfriendly men with flat caps and
whippets, it's cold and it rains all the time, better stay south of
Watford.

thou speaketh 'unfriendly like' about god's country...H

It's for a good cause.

--
Martin

What on earth is a cause good enuff to warrant publishing untruths about the
beloved north country....H

Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
WaltA

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 12:20:18 +0000 (UTC), jane
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:31:55 GMT, Rusty snip wrote:

~The message
~from jane contains these words:
~ Just out of curiosity, did my serious answer to this thread some days
~ ago show up on anyone's servers other than mine?

~Not unless it has already autoexpired. I have autoexpire set for twelve
~days in this group.

Hmmm it was sent on the 25th so shouldn't have done. Wondered why
there were no responses. Flipping BT (mutter).

Hi Jane,
Yes, your original message did get out beyond BT, it got to my NTL
server but ooops I have only just spotted it ! Sorry !!
Very interesting read, thank you, sorry I didnt spot it first time
round amongst all the activity

Slap my wrist, must concentrate more carefully in future !
I'll put you in my list of "most readable posters" :-))

Old 01-11-2005, 01:16 PM
WaltA

Included all the original for jane's inspection,
more of my addition at the bottom
:------

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:03:09 +0000 (UTC), jane
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:43:15 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

~
~"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
.. .
~ The message .com
~ from contains these words:
~
~
~
~ Why were the ratings disappointing?
~
~ Missed it. Just a guess, but probably, some crazed maverick at the
~ BBC foolishly made a programme with some real gardeners in it, spending
~ a quiet afternoon down the lotty in non-designer wellies. With no
~ camera gimmicks, celebrities or interactive voting opportunities, it
~ was bound to fail.
~
~ Janet
~
~I'm assuming the welsh geezer named Terry is the same Terry who is the
~allotment holder featured on Jeremy Vine's programme on Radio 2, can anybody
~confirm or deny?
~
Confirm!

I have all three so-far broadcast episodes recorded, and was most
put-out to discover that on day 4 I had acquired Flog-it. I complained
to the BBC and got a soothing answer.

They have Simon Mayo doing the fronting - the first thing he admits is
not knowing a thing about gardening. He announces that allotment
holding is getting incredibly popular and is one of the
fastest-growing hobbies, especially among younger people, and then
they have this programme that seems to have very few of said younger
people in it! I suspect they filmed it during weekdays, hence they
were all at work. Mr Mayo also looks permanently frozen.

And of course the same age group is at work when they showed it! I'm
sure that if they took into consideration the number of people who
taped it, then their ratings might have been a bit higher. But that
doesn't excuse the timing.

The programme in itself is odd because there are continual recaps and
even little trailers within itself for something which is coming up
not 2 minutes later. So I think it was initially filmed for a
commercial channel. Either way, they are extrememly irritating and
they could edit them out and reduce the length of the programme to 50
or even 45 minutes. (Fast forward is useful here!). They might like
to rename it too. Big Dig sounds like it's an archaeology programme.

It is slightly patronising - they have folk doing biodynamic
plantings, and Terry keeps going on about the World's Most Expensive
Potatoes ie Sarpo Mira, the blight-resistant ones. Except they keep
saying they are blight-proof which isn't accurate. I got mine for 20p
each so I have no idea how this chap's were almost 50p each...

They also keep going on about how women can't dig the Welsh allotments
as they're up a hill and the soil is clayey and there's a male
tradition/ preserve... well I'd like some of them to come over to our
plots as they'd soon get told what's what by our ladies, starting with
me! (Honestly, going on about how women had mirrors and lipstick in
their sheds! The only possibly girlie things I've got in mine are a
first aid kit and some sunscreen!) (Ok and some chocolate, but that's
energency rations... really!)

Having said all of that it's a programme on real allotmenteers, the
commentary is mostly them and not SM, and they are comparing
traditional methods with new ideas. So I will continue to watch if and
when they decide to show it.

jane

Mark Twain

Hi Jane, this is a reply to your original post,
just to confirm and to satisfy curiosity :-)

Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
shazzbat

SNIP

They have Simon Mayo doing the fronting - the first thing he admits is
not knowing a thing about gardening. He announces that allotment
holding is getting incredibly popular and is one of the
fastest-growing hobbies, especially among younger people, and then
they have this programme that seems to have very few of said younger
people in it!

I was very alarmed to see someone using a petrol strimmer and allowing a
girl of about 8-10 years old to remain in the vicinity. I trust everyone
here is far too safety conscious to do that. TBH I was surprised that they
let it go out without a word of warning.

Steve