Old 29-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Mel

Default The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

"Sue" wrote
and of course MontyyD's is pure sex :~))

What, its not April the first is it, you must be joking :-)

I agree with Jenny! :-}

Ditto !

Old 29-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Kate Morgan

"Sue" wrote
and of course MontyyD's is pure sex :~))

What, its not April the first is it, you must be joking :-)

I agree with Jenny! :-}

Ditto !

Oh well I am in the minority, I can live with that :-))
Old 30-10-2005, 02:31 AM
WaltA

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:11:45 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:
WaltA
praps it is just that I liked JeffH* better than Titch who seemed to
expect the mantle to be cast down to (upon) him
* more down to earth, practical like, more about what some of us
potter about with in our own patch, MontyD inherits more of that than
Titch ( -with his airs&graces)

I think its something to do with voices.
AlanT has an irritating one

Yes, and is it my imagination or does he 'play to' his accent ?

GeoffH's was warm and earthy

Yes

and of course MontyyD's is pure sex :~))

I couldn't possibly comment :-))

Old 30-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Kay

In article , WaltA
writes
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:11:45 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:
WaltA
praps it is just that I liked JeffH* better than Titch who seemed to
expect the mantle to be cast down to (upon) him
* more down to earth, practical like, more about what some of us
potter about with in our own patch, MontyD inherits more of that than
Titch ( -with his airs&graces)

I think its something to do with voices.
AlanT has an irritating one

Yes, and is it my imagination or does he 'play to' his accent ?

Does he have an accent?

--
Kay

Old 30-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Does he have an accent?

Everyone (who speaks) has an accent.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 30-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Kay

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Does he have an accent?

Everyone (who speaks) has an accent.

sigh Does he have an accent which is sufficiently distinctive for the
possibility of 'playing to his accent' to arise?
--
Kay

Old 30-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Does he have an accent?

Everyone (who speaks) has an accent.

sigh Does he have an accent which is sufficiently distinctive for the
possibility of 'playing to his accent' to arise?

(unclosed tab alert!)

I expect so - for some.

However, never having heard the person in question, I have no idea who
might find the accent noteworthy.

In any case, it's very often the timbre of the voice and its
non-standard inflections which stand out...

Old 30-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't know that he plays to it but he certainly has a slight Yorkshire
accent, yes.

thanks :-)
Surrounded by Yorkshire accents as I am, I can no longer recognise them!
- just sounds like normal to me.

I think he does play to the camera but that is all part of his
engaging his audience. Whatever one may think of Ground Force etc., AT is
extremely good at making his audience feel he is talking directly to each
one of them as individuals.

Speak for yourself ;-)
That technique of 'confidential' asides to camera make me cringe.

One thing I do like about him is that he appears to dislike that
ridiculously contrived joshing around the presenters do on e.g. The Chelsea
Flower Show.

You mean, like the 'arguments' between him and the handyman guy on
Ground Force? ;-)

--
Kay

Old 30-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Sacha

On 30/10/05 14:26, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't know that he plays to it but he certainly has a slight Yorkshire
accent, yes.

thanks :-)
Surrounded by Yorkshire accents as I am, I can no longer recognise them!
- just sounds like normal to me.

I thought that might be what was happening!

I think he does play to the camera but that is all part of his
engaging his audience. Whatever one may think of Ground Force etc., AT is
extremely good at making his audience feel he is talking directly to each
one of them as individuals.

Speak for yourself ;-)
That technique of 'confidential' asides to camera make me cringe.

I don't mean those and I hate them, too. I think that style of telly
presenting is patronising. I mean really more his manner when he is doing
his 'sensible but friendly' bit of giving information.

One thing I do like about him is that he appears to dislike that
ridiculously contrived joshing around the presenters do on e.g. The Chelsea
Flower Show.

You mean, like the 'arguments' between him and the handyman guy on
Ground Force? ;-)

'fraid so. Apparently the directors of these programmes like this sort of
thing and insist on it. I really hope the presentation of Chelsea
concentrates on the gardens and the planting this year and not some
out-reach vegetable project in County Wherever or the colour of the tie AT
or DG are - or aren't - wearing. And if anyone 'out there' is reading this
for Gawd's sake put the names of the plants up on the blasted screen so that
people who are interested in PLANTS find out what they are! I'm beginning
to think urg should stage a mass demo outside the Beeb this year if they
don't get it right!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-10-2005, 06:31 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:16:20 +0000, Kay wrote:

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Does he have an accent?

Everyone (who speaks) has an accent.

sigh Does he have an accent which is sufficiently distinctive for the
possibility of 'playing to his accent' to arise?

Hmmm, a clarification may be in order :
Do you think that I was criticizing him for _having_ an accent ?

Did I say anything about it being _distinctive_ ?
(anyhows, is being distinctive a problem?)

Did I say anything about the desirability of not having an accent (an
impossibility) to be able to broadcast via the BBC as Lord Reith tried
to command ?

No to all the above !

What I suggested and was interested to solicit other peeps views
onnit, was if y'all thought he _played_to_it_
eg. like wot I do if im tellin a scottish joke./eg

Sorry if I gave the impression that I was pouring scorn on the
yorkshire accent in general ! ( would I dare ! )

aside to camera
Mind you, when I did a Gardeners Question Time OB at Askam Brian we
did have a little chuckle, from time to time, as one does when in a
foreign land )
/ducks

Old 30-10-2005, 06:41 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:30:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:
I'm beginning
to think urg should stage a mass demo outside the Beeb this year if they
don't get it right!

If we did I fear that we would need to return next year and the year
after and ,,, be there for ever more ,,,

In this era of non-public broadcasting**, where everything needs to be
governed by (mass)consumer requirements and market forces, the best we
can hope for is that the Beeb raises awareness of a subject and thus
the interested viewers/listeners can undertake further education
elsewhere.

(OT ** so why do I need to buy a licence for that non-existent
principle ?)

Old 30-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Kay

In article , WaltA
writes
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:16:20 +0000, Kay wrote:

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from Kay contains these words:

Does he have an accent?

Everyone (who speaks) has an accent.

sigh Does he have an accent which is sufficiently distinctive for the
possibility of 'playing to his accent' to arise?

Hmmm, a clarification may be in order :
Do you think that I was criticizing him for _having_ an accent ?

No, not at all. I was just unaware that he had a, presumably Yorkshire,
accent.

Did I say anything about it being _distinctive_ ?

Implied, in your comment about 'playing to his accent' - you can't play
to something that no-one notices.

(anyhows, is being distinctive a problem?)

Of course not - did I say it was?

Did I say anything about the desirability of not having an accent (an
impossibility) to be able to broadcast via the BBC as Lord Reith tried
to command ?

No you didn't, and have I anywhere tried to suggest that you were?

What the heck are you getting at me for???
I just asked if he had an accent, then clarified my comment in response
to Rusty' pedantry. I just honestly don't notice Titchmarsh's accent,
just as I don't notice my son's allegedly Yorkshire accent, so I was
puzzled by your suggestion. You're carrying on as if I was trying to
argue against you or criticise you. Look, if you get that upset by what
I say in all innocence, why don't you just kf me and have done with it?

--
Kay

Old 30-10-2005, 10:02 PM
WaltA

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 07:31:31 +0000, Kay wrote:

In article , WaltA
writes
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:11:45 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:
WaltA
praps it is just that I liked JeffH* better than Titch who seemed to
expect the mantle to be cast down to (upon) him
* more down to earth, practical like, more about what some of us
potter about with in our own patch, MontyD inherits more of that than
Titch ( -with his airs&graces)

I think its something to do with voices.
AlanT has an irritating one

Yes, and is it my imagination or does he 'play to' his accent ?

Does he have an accent?

Yes.

( that is me trying again !)
kf you, no, I wouldn't do that to you bless you.