Old 26-11-2005, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

Default Snowing here too!

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Raining here in Norfolk tonight. A bit warmer, too.

And hailing just a short while ago, although the sun is out now. Jim Bacon
promised it wouldn't be as bad here as has been in the West Country, so I'm
holding him responsible if it is.

--
Sue

Old 26-11-2005, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default It's snowing!!

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha

Holland ground to a total halt yesterday!
Snow, hail, wind, storm force winds etc. One traffic jam was 88 km long !

Well, you'd expect it, wouldn't you? With all those steep hills and
hairpin bends everywhere you're bound to get trouble.
Rusty

I think the main cause of the jams was people queuing up to get into the garden
centres for Xmas decorations.......

Jenny

Old 26-11-2005, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 26/11/05 11:50, in article
, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:53:12 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Well, in defence of the southerners, I will point out that my
husband's comment on seeing the news was that every time they showed
a really major hold up, there seemed to be a cluster of police
vehicles at the head of it!

Ah but the police are there beause some berk has already bounced of
the barrier or gone through the hedge.

I went past 3 stranded vehicles, that had skidded and crashed on the
M74 yesterday morning. Two where cars, the other a jack knifed lorry.

The first was a people carrier thing had done a complete 360
contacting the barrier at least twice (you could tell from the tyre
tracks in the snow). How you loose control to that extent on a
straight, flat, motorway with black tramlines, at no more than 30mph
is beyound me, a little twitch that you correct and regain control
maybe but a complete 360?

Maybe a session on a skid pan should be part of the driving test?

I think the last suggestion is a very good idea! I think that what we
seemed to be observing on the telly news was that accidents or 'incidents'
were taking a long time to clear. I do realise that details have to be
taken for insurance reports etc. but it's the hold ups while that's being
done that seems to cause the trouble. I don't know what the solution is but
I do know that it took my step daughter about an hour and a half to get
back from Plymouth yesterday and it's usually a half hour journey, tops.
Today however, most of the snow has gone in our area and it's been a bright,
sunny, cloudless day. However, it's starting to cloud over again so I have
selfish hopes of more snow! I drove towards Torquay way this morning and
in the deeper lanes, where the sun hadn't reached, there were some quite
interesting moments!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-11-2005, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 26/11/05 14:06, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
Raining here in Norfolk tonight. A bit warmer, too.

And hailing just a short while ago, although the sun is out now. Jim Bacon
promised it wouldn't be as bad here as has been in the West Country, so I'm
holding him responsible if it is.

You sound like the late Lord Home who, when the barometer was obstinately
set at 'fair' when it was teeming with rain outside, flung the instrument
out of the window saying "see for yourself, you bloody thing!"
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-11-2005, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
Maybe a session on a skid pan should be part of the driving test?

That's what our three daughters are getting for Christmas: a day at a
skid pan! Maybe it's more a present for an ever-worried Mum, though....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 26-11-2005, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Sacha" wrote
"Sue" wrote:
And hailing just a short while ago, although the sun is out now. Jim
Bacon promised it wouldn't be as bad here as has been in the West
Country, so I'm holding him responsible if it is.

You sound like the late Lord Home who, when the barometer was obstinately
set at 'fair' when it was teeming with rain outside, flung the instrument
out of the window saying "see for yourself, you bloody thing!"

:-)

Well you have to have someone/thing (delete as appropriate) to blame.

--
Sue

Old 26-11-2005, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote

Raining here in Norfolk tonight. A bit warmer, too.

And hailing just a short while ago, although the sun is out now. Jim Bacon
promised it wouldn't be as bad here as has been in the West Country, so I'm
holding him responsible if it is.

Is Jim back on the box? Good-oh, if so.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 26-11-2005, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article , JennyC
writes

Holland ground to a total halt yesterday!
Snow, hail, wind, storm force winds etc. One traffic jam was 88 km long!

Wow! That's a lot of bicycles!!

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 26-11-2005, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

Sacha wrote:
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths, hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!

Got back home on Thursday after three glorious days in Torquay.Said we
wanted to get home before the snow.Receptionist proudly replied "
We never have snow in Torquay".We all know
the rest.Changed at
Newton Abbot.Three men already on the train from somewhere in
Cornwall.They said they had "just got out". Bet they were glad.
They say it gets cold "on The Moor".

Old 26-11-2005, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote
The message
from "Sue" contains these words:
And hailing just a short while ago, although the sun is out now. Jim
Bacon promised it wouldn't be as bad here as has been in the West
Country, so I'm holding him responsible if it is.

Is Jim back on the box? Good-oh, if so.

Yes, he pops up on the Look East forecast sometimes. I gather he's now MD
of 'WeatherQuest' who consult the runes, seaweed and other technical
forecasting aides on behalf of the BBC in Norwich.

--
Sue

Old 27-11-2005, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Sacha
writes
They seem to go in more for racing with Ferraris on red letter days, so
I'm still hunting...

Hmmm. They used to do skid pan one day courses because I remember buying
one for my son years ago.

I found these:
http://www.experiencemad.co.uk/Skid-Car-Control/
http://www.intotheblue.co.uk/skid-control.shtml
http://www.chooseyourevent.co.uk/Per...Skid%20Control

Thanks, Sacha - one of these should be perfect!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 27-11-2005, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:44:41 +0000, Klara wrote:

That sounds great - everyone would be a lot safer if that were
required, say, for all new young drivers!

s/young// = "for all new drivers!". Old or young doesn't make any
difference if you've never experienced loss of control how you react
doesn't depend on your age.

But this time I have to find something that can be called a fun
day....

Unless the driver is very nervous behind the wheel (in which case they
shouldn't be on the road at all) they will find it a fun day. Being
able to play without risking the vehicle or you life is fun and
remember skid pans are very slippy, you don't do things at high speed
it's all slow and graceful, almost ballet like.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail