Old 25-11-2005, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default It's snowing!!

Richard Brooks wrote:
Sacha wrote:

It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!

I thought it was here in Oxford but I think it was paper ash raining
down from a bonfire.

Richard.

I must say it makes me smile, on the TV they have shown this "terrible"
snow, schools closed traffic stopped. You can still see grass tufts
through the snow! How anyone from Eastern countries must smile, a bit of
snow and everything stops here. Ill preparation and bad driving me thinks.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address
All Emails are deleted upon receipt.
Old 25-11-2005, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

and bad driving me thinks.

no matter how good a driver you are, if the car in front is blocking the
road and has had to stop, so have you :-(( A few years back I had a Subaru
Legacy Estate, 4 wheel drive, climb up a lamp post, BUT, because of other
non 4 wheel drives blocking the road, I might just as well as had a C5
:-(( Come to think of it I would have been better :-)) I could have
lifted it up and walked round the stalled cars :-))

Mike

Old 25-11-2005, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 25/11/05 21:51, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I must say it makes me smile, on the TV they have shown this "terrible"
snow, schools closed traffic stopped. You can still see grass tufts
through the snow! How anyone from Eastern countries must smile, a bit of
snow and everything stops here. Ill preparation and bad driving me
thinks.

Watching the TV news footage of Cornish roads immobilised, I have to
admit the same thought crossed my mind. The road surface all around the
long line of vehicles was black, and so clear I could see the line
markings. From a Scottish perspective it seemed an extraordinarily minor
depth of snow to warrant leaving 200 children stranded at school
overnight.

We saw the same thing and were amazed at the complete meltdown - unhappy
choice of phrase, perhaps. But there are a couple of things to consider,
suppose. While the roads *looked* clear on the TV news, it had
undoubtedly
been snowing quite a lot earlier and I suspect the hold ups were due to
traffic accidents which hadn't been cleared quickly. And of course,
people
down here aren't used to driving in ANY snowy conditions and apprehension
alone can cause accidents.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sothern Bedwetters:-)

Old 25-11-2005, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Snowing here too!

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

In far west Cornwall, it hovered around 4C most of last night and
through today, with a strong to gale force NNW wind and passing hail
showers. But at about 4pm the wind dropped sharply, veered easterly
for about half an hour and the temperature plummeted. Then it started
to snow. At 6pm the temperature was a whisker above freezing, the wind
had gone back to the north and snow was lying about half an inch deep,
although it now seems to be melting in places. I see the temperature
has actually risen a degree in the last half hour.

We'd managed to avoid the frosts earlier in the week, but not for much
longer I fear. I hope my fleece 'wigwams' over my proteas do the biz,
having survived the gales of last night!

Raining here in Norfolk tonight. A bit warmer, too.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-11-2005, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!

No snow around here.
Spent the day "Up Town" walking around near St Pauls. A lecture by the
Master of the Templars Church (the vicar), in the actual Church, on the
"DaVinci Code" then a visit to other local sites, Temple Bar, St Bride of
Fleet St (the wedding cake church*) where, by coincidence, a choir were
practicing for a concert tonight, the Olde Cheshire Cheese pub (renovated
1667), Dr Johnson's House, ..... what an incredible heritage we have.

Bloody cold wind! What a day to choose!

* it was a local baker that looked out of his window at the steeple and
copied the tiered form for his famous wedding cakes which caught on
nationwide and have now become traditional.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 26-11-2005, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

And of course, people
down here aren't used to driving in ANY snowy conditions and apprehension
alone can cause accidents.

I couldn't help noticing how many of the vehicles "snowbound" in an
inch of snow were 4 WD off-road monster jeeps with high tyre clearance
:-)

Hmmmm. I could relate tales about a fiend's Ford Cortina MkII on black
ice on The Struie, and the Christmas holidays I toured the Highlands on
a solo motorcycle...

Old 26-11-2005, 02:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:51:35 GMT, Janet Baraclough wrote:

From a Scottish perspective it seemed an extraordinarily minor
depth of snow to warrant leaving 200 children stranded at school
overnight.

H&S gone mad, if little Johny slips and grazes his knee the school is
liable. Now if they let little Johny make proper slides on the
playground he'd have much better understanding of "slippy" and better
coordination to handle said "slippy" as well so he wouldn't fall over
an graze his knee.

As to the Scottish perspective the M74 up Annandale wasn't doing very
well this morning. Stop, start, 10mph only a few miles was wet
compacted snow the rest was a single lane of black tram lines. The
heavies where the problem, most where only just manageing to get up
the hills (not that motorways have particulary steep hills...). Only a
couple of inches lying at the "worst".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 26-11-2005, 04:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 25/11/05 22:47, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 25/11/05 21:51, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

[...]

Well, in defence of the southerners, I will point out that my husband's
comment on seeing the news was that every time they showed a really major
hold up, there seemed to be a cluster of police vehicles at the head of it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-11-2005, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On 25 Nov 2005 10:28:38 -0800, "
wrote:

quote..by the by does anyone know how hardy oestopernums ( not sure of

spelling) are as mine have wilted heavily with the frost.

Depends on the variety. I had one in Lincolnshire for years, not sure
which as it came as a cutting from my father, took everything the
weather could thow at it including being frozen for days at a time,
best to just leave it and see. Plenty in full flower here at the
moment.

Mike

The white and pale pastel pink flowered ones seem hardier than those
with darker colours. Many of the latter are recent introductions and
have names that suggest they were bred in central Africa. Not
surprisingly, they're not hardy.

--
Chris

Old 26-11-2005, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
We saw the same thing and were amazed at the complete meltdown - unhappy
choice of phrase, perhaps. But there are a couple of things to consider, I
suppose. While the roads *looked* clear on the TV news, it had undoubtedly
been snowing quite a lot earlier and I suspect the hold ups were due to
traffic accidents which hadn't been cleared quickly. And of course, people
down here aren't used to driving in ANY snowy conditions and apprehension
alone can cause accidents.

Not necessarily even accidents. it just takes a couple of people not to
manage a particularly tricky bit (eg not to make it up the other side of
a dip) on a busy road for you rapidly to get a tailback - the news
photos were of the tailback and not necessarily of the worst bit of the
snow.

--
Kay

Old 26-11-2005, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths, hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha

Holland ground to a total halt yesterday!
Snow, hail, wind, storm force winds etc. One traffic jam was 88 km long !
Jenny (in a sunny - snow free Rotterdam)

Old 26-11-2005, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 04:53:12 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Well, in defence of the southerners, I will point out that my
husband's comment on seeing the news was that every time they showed
a really major hold up, there seemed to be a cluster of police
vehicles at the head of it!

Ah but the police are there beause some berk has already bounced of
the barrier or gone through the hedge.

I went past 3 stranded vehicles, that had skidded and crashed on the
M74 yesterday morning. Two where cars, the other a jack knifed lorry.

The first was a people carrier thing had done a complete 360
contacting the barrier at least twice (you could tell from the tyre
tracks in the snow). How you loose control to that extent on a
straight, flat, motorway with black tramlines, at no more than 30mph
is beyound me, a little twitch that you correct and regain control
maybe but a complete 360?

Maybe a session on a skid pan should be part of the driving test?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 26-11-2005, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
It really is. We've got some cover on the lawn, though the cedar tree
protects the grass underneath its canopy and snow is lying on paths,
hedges
etc. I can hardly believe my eyes - snow in South Devon in November!
Now.....if it gets windy, this could get interesting!
--
Sacha

Holland ground to a total halt yesterday!
Snow, hail, wind, storm force winds etc. One traffic jam was 88 km long !

Well, you'd expect it, wouldn't you? With all those steep hills and
hairpin bends everywhere you're bound to get trouble.